Infiltration 11, should we have a round?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantrithor, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Ok guys, been playing this one map on Starcraft 2 called Mafia which is basically Mafia except in Starcraft 2, and it makes me want to play another Infiltration again. We have had 9 awesome games of infiltration on our forums. Now I know that the last guy, aaaaa50, tried to dungeon master Infiltration 10, but went afk shortly after everyone signed up, and Infiltration 10 keeps failing every time someone tries to make it; So I say skip 10, lets go straight to 11. Anyone interested or is Infiltration doomed forever?

If I GM it I will promise no one gets a role that doesn't do something special, which I think is what made it not as great as it really is, compared to Mafia on SC2 where allowing citizen as a role is frowned upon.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. Empty

Empty Member

Too many roles makes it either impossible to manage or god awful difficult for the poor bastard mafia.

I tried giving the citizens the ability to take a bullet but nobody used it. The main problem is a lack of communication between players, nobody wants to plan or scheme or communicate for risk of getting killed.

It's a major flaw with the game and I couldn't figure out a good way to deal with it. Blizzerd's idea worked a bit better since the mafia didn realise they were mafia for several days.

That gives me an idea.

How about a card based system, each night, several people get given a random card. The deck doesn't get re-shuffled, some cards are permanent, some are single abilities.

Perhaps 3 different kinds of cards:

Instants
    Abilities
    Roles

An instant card, you discard a the end of the night, you can use it, or ditch it.
    An ability card, you can use once, but you can keep it as long as you want.
    A role card gives you specific advantages, are permanent and you can't turn them off. IE you could draw a mafia card halfway through the game, after you've made ties etc. Role cards would give you re-usable abilities, basically the same as current roles, and they could stack (e.g. you could get a medic card and a mafia card on the same person) the abilities would have a hint associated with them, some abilities give a minor hint to the person responsible, some give a major hint, some literally name you for using them.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

At first that idea sounded very odd, but then I noticed how great it is. For instance there could be an Instant card that is ammo or a gun, which allows that person to shoot someone, or the keys to the armory, which stops someone from using their ability. One or Two ability cards could be given to everyone at the start of the round that do things similar to instant cards, except that they can be used whenever. Role cards sound pretty straight forward.

4. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

These types of games should have the majority of players with no special abilites.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I'm all for a new round of infiltration, but don't forget people don't like to be alpha-testers for your new ideas. Also i have to agree with Fricken Hamster, what a day.

6. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I'm a very agreeable person. ;)

7. Empty

Empty Member

How about everyone is citizens, no mafia, no roles, final destination.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Coming back to the SC2 mafia map, it has multiple factions that usually have to be the last one standing, there's the mafia, the serial killer, the witch, the cultist, and the arsonist. Of course you'd never see all of them in the same game, but if we were to have a mix of three of those in the same game, it would make town roles crucial. There are also roles like executor that has a target, and his only goal is to see him executed during the day, or the Jester who's only goal is to be executed publicly.

Don't get me wrong, I also don't think everyone should be rifleman or engineer.

9. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Grantrithor. You're doomed. Good luck! :)

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Y U No Make Infiltration!

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

build story and character intent with cards over time

like someone could pull a "mafia" card, thats permanent and shapes his further intentions in the game

its basically what i wanted to do, but some other stuff i did wrong (my first try, don't sue me lol) ruined it a bit

lol so basically what empty said in the end of the post i seem to have forgotten to read

12. Empty

Empty Member

Your idea was pretty good, but there was too much plot for it all to stick together once the dickheads opened fire.

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Would the player be able to get a remorse card which lowers the chances of him shooting someone? The idea isn't bad it just doesn't sound like it could work with mafia, which is a black and white game; someone who has the ability to kill every night, will kill every night, he wont be like "oh I don't feel like it". There has to be a bad guy, and then the good guy, and they are pitted against each other in a mindless detective game. You would have to make a different game for intentional stuff, unless you were to change how the game of Infiltration is structured.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  14. Empty

Empty Member

Nobody ever has to kill anyone.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in normal infiltration you win the game by killing everyone who isnt against you
    anyone in the way of you winning has tough luck

hence why normal infiltration is a killing spree

my version actually wasn't, one or 2 people could kill half the group in 1 round, but didn't, almost everyone could kill one or 2 guys just for funs sakes but didn't and others had the mission to kill everyone else but decided not to for there own survivals sakes (i counted it so you could not survive without working together and sharing excess water to get trough

people depended on each other, carrying water was a way to make yourself useful and that went to the expense of wearing guns... so if you wore guns you needed others to carry water...

dependency creates ties, people want to be safe, ether by making yourself useful or by being the alpha male

i think these cards could make it even better to bind ties

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  16. Empty

Empty Member

With cards I decide who can do what each night, rather than static abilities which leads to slippery slopes.

If one team is significantly raping one night, I can throw the other team some more powerful cards to potentially come back.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Ok I guess it now sounds more interesting, you would have to monitor like friend circles and stuff and watch as people kind of form into their own little factions, without actually noticing it. Someone from group A pisses someone off in group B, you draw a card and if it's a mafia card he might kill that person. Everyday you give people something to vote on, e.g. who has to go on guard duty, or different policies. Then you watch as it becomes a warzone, see who likes who, who hates who, deal some cards and stuff, sit back and watch the fireworks.

For some reason it sounds like a complicated soap opera.

18. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Soap Opera = Drama = Empires.

Sounds good.

19. Empty

Empty Member

Could also have day and night cards iuno.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

would also be nice if you could add bonus cards that give everyone the user wants a small bonus

so that the game master gets a nice understanding on how the game is played (its like a "you tell the game master who you think your friends are, and in return he gives you and your friends a nice bonus)

to prevent under cover buttrape