Infiltration 10 Gameplay + Rules Brainstorm

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aaaaaa50, Feb 28, 2011.

1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I want this round to be more fun for everyone playing. My analysis shows that the most detrimental things to fun are being killed off early, lack of participation, and the best players being killed off early leaving the worst players to afk-fail. My logic calculates the most immediate and obvious counter: Make the game so that no-one dies, or death is rare.

My imagination forms some ideas: There is some complicated, isolated military structure that needs constant maintenance to keep it operational and many backup systems. For example, a spaceship. Each Base Crewman needs to spend all day working at his/her station to keep things working smoothly. Let's say Base Crewman Bob maintains the communications relay. If an infiltrator targets Bob, Bob's communications relay is sabotaged and can't be repaired. This doesn't mean that Bob is out of the game. Instead of spending his day keeping the ship working, now he can spend the day doing something else, like help search for the infiltrators. This way those who are "killed" first gain greater power. Or Bob could just afk out of the game, in which case Bob goes out the airlock.

If others agree with my idea, we can make other changes like changing the daily vote to kill someone into something else, like throwing a person or two in the brig for a day and searching their quarters. There's also the possibility of changing the overall winning conditions for the infiltrators. Instead of "killing" everyone, they may want to capture the ship for Jekotia. If they can change the heading of the Spaceship to head for Jekotian space, but the Base Crew get weapons repaired at the right moment, things might get.....interesting. :eek:

But some of these ideas are probably too complicated, especially that last one, and there's only so much one person can think. May we please form a hive-mind for brainstorming?

P.S. I don't know how aliases would work. Would we all get another forum account for the game?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

(6chars)

3. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

How would people communicate without revealing who they are? The PMing behind the main thread is one of the most important part of this kind of gameplay. We need people to tell different lies to different people, share information and disinformation, etc. otherwise it's just a blind hunt.

4. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Thats the risk of collaberation.
    Just leave clues in the information as to who people are, but don't make the clues
    relative to how they act on the forums make each name come with its own character
    and preferences that can be given away in the clues with some sort of character
    description in the OP for each person.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

At first I liked the alias idea, but then I realised that part of the fun was analysing people's posts to see their angle.

6. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Just a quickie (gotta go places) about clues: I've always felt that making the story have "clues" that reference people "Clouds cast shadows!" is not a good way to build intrigue and backstabbing. I've always though a better way to do it is to make in-game PMs to each character giving stuff that happened to that person during the day/night/whatever that contains possible clues.

For example: One person sees some guy walk past his door at night breathing heavily, another notices that cloud seems exhausted when talking to him, a third sees someone walk past the first guy's door holding a box of suspicious tools but doesn't notice the breathing heavily.

People can try and share their possible clues via PM and try and figure out stuff, but an infiltrator can mess up the clues. Ex: Cloud to Trickster: "Empty was really exhausted last night for some reason! Maybe he's the one you though was breathing heavily. What was he doing last night?" Kthanksgottago.

7. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

not dying is kinda... interesting. it could work; i think it wouldn't, but we'll see.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

it would still be kind of like that though

for example empty could make it so any action has to be directed to a player character and not an actual player

if a player makes a lot of noise the infiltrators still have to find what player belongs to what player character, and then match up this info to how the player behaves himself in the game to see his role

basically it comes down to 3 layers

role layer (rifleman, infiltrator etc)
    character layer (character name in story that has clues)
    player layer (blizzerd, brutos etc etc)

the storyline should then contain clues linking the player layer to the character layer, and in weird occasions the role layer to the player layer but NEVER the role to the character, since the character layer is where the player is vulnerable

sure this adds complexity, but overall the game play will improve

edit: also aaaaas version of clues are probably the best way to put clues in this game

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

no aliases, no pming votes, I like the drama it creates in the game. also make ridiculous death scenes that actually have good clues.

10. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

yea the drama and rage comprise the best parts of the game and pming and aliases would ruin that

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

it clearly woudnt

12. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

aaaaaa50 has a good start i think. PMing different clues about what happens to each player during the night would help the game keep its whole collaboration and distrust factor without the need to overly complicate things

13. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

you know what we need
    a way for base crew to have fun

and then a way for dead people to have fun

yeeeah...

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

base crew get mops as weapons?