Infantry Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Alceister, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Alceister

Alceister Member

As it stands, I have far too many ideas to put into individual threads. If I were to place them all in individual threads, I would flood the suggestions page. So I decided to consolidate all of my infantry suggestions into one topic.

Riflemen
    Riflemen are comparatively underused in the more open classic maps.

Mainly the problems with Riflemen are these:

- They have comparatively less opportunities to gain exp than other classes.

- Other classes have reasonable capabilities in fighting and defending themselves, less so than the Rifleman, but have additional abilities to make up for it.

- They can't build very well, get no exp for it, destroying vehicles is a risky proposition early game and a near impossible one mid-late game, and have limited capability to disable or destroy enemy structures.

I have a few solutions:

- Give all classes exp for building, same as the engineer. They already build far slower and have no repair or healing capabilities. It gives people more of an incentive to bother with building structures when not an engineer, rather than "for the team" attitude which not everyone supports.

- Modify stickies. Increase their power against buildings. Make it so that a full load of stickies with Ammunition Upgrade can destroy one structure, unless said structure gets repaired in-between grenades. Perhaps increase the timer for stickies, and make it so that engineers can zap it off with their tool.

My idea is that the Rifleman should be a more versatile class in all things, but by no means should be the only class people play.

Also...

- HMG can be set up for excellent accuracy. Otherwise, it has "decent" overall accuracy while in crouched and prone. Goes into ironsight slight zoom mode, but makes Rifleman immobile. Instead of draining stamina, perhaps it could be increasingly inaccurate as it keeps firing and eventually overheats?

Grenadier
    Grenadiers are more or less fine as they are. Their only problem is that their RPG really loses power against heavier vehicles. A Grenadier can hit a tank with five rockets only to see the tank run away and repair itself.

- Perhaps make the RPG more powerful, but incorporate a delay after pressing the trigger before firing (explain it as capacitors charging up to ignite the rocket, or a "cold launch", that is the rocket is shot out of the launcher before igniting the motor).

- Alternately, increase the power of the RPG but make it rely on stamina. No stamina means you can't fire the RPG. This would make singular rocket sniping somewhat less effective, and reduce the ability of grenadiers to avoid getting run over by vehicles at close range, which as it stands I find somewhat ridiculous.

Also...

- Make Mortar a static weapon, but increase range in compensation, as well as adding elevation markers. The current green reticle simply doesn't cut it.

Scout
    Make Scout run faster than other classes, if he doesn't already.

Engineer
    Right now Engineer is quite possibly the most useful class in the game. He builds, he destroys, decent attack capabilities, and turrets simply mow infantry down. I only have one suggestion.

- Make turrets have a blindspot.

Also...

- Make his only primary a shotgun. SMGs give him really more killing power than he should have for his duties (that is construction) and he should only have a weapon for close range which he is more likely to encounter people at.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

filler...

3. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

agreed , scout has to go and you cant change that check dev blog they already have the model for the shotgun, reifleman is anti infantry GUH, grenadier rpg sux, id like to seethis inputed http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=7167

and engineer is fine

4. Alceister

Alceister Member

My point is that the rifleman should be a more versatile class. All the other classes are able to do things outside their general scope, but the rifleman can't.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  5. Empty

Empty Member

People who aren't idiots choose riflemen and crush every engineer they see.

6. Wilson

Wilson Member

Riflemen are anti-infrantery so it's only natural that they cant do much agains't tanks or buildings.

The problem with grenadiers rpg is that buffing it will make tanks obsolete in early game but not buffing it will make grenadiers obsolete in late game.

The main problem i see with the scout is that he relies so much on his skills. Without them he is just a gimped engineer. A scout with 40 point can be just as deadly vs infrantery as riflemen but by then everybody has a tank.

7. Alceister

Alceister Member

The point I'm trying to raise is that all other classes have secondary capabilities against other targets, whereas in the case of the rifleman it is highly negligible.

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Can anyone say sticky grenade?

9. Empty

Empty Member

Exactly.
    Riflemen are supreme urban combateers.

10. Alceister

Alceister Member

But in a number of Classic maps, the area is usually anything but urban.

11. Alceister

Alceister Member

Updated.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Well, if you have good engineers with you that drop walls you can transform
    almost any area into "urban warfare"

13. Alceister

Alceister Member

Normally when people see walls, they don't go near them with vehicles, but rather try to break them down with shelling, or have engineers go and solve the problem.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I seriously dont see the problem, if you want to take down buildings play
    as engineer nuff said and as engineer you can build walls at chokepoints
    for other riflemans/grenadiers in your team.

15. Alceister

Alceister Member

I have seen few vehicles that get that decide to navigate through walls, except when APCs rush. And even then most players have smartened up and only run people over if they're sure that they're not riflemen, and keep on the move.