Infantry Scripts

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kane, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Kane

Kane Member

Trickster's are in SVN now.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

kewl, testin now

i tested chrisses ones too just now, and besides the smg's being like long range super soakers spraying acid or something (too accurate for the rate of fire and damage) it was really interesting

il try trixies now

3. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I there a description somewhere what have been changed?

PS: Please also add the jeep scripts for at least one play test.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I'll revert them after next playtest. If you want any script changes get them through Beerdude.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

trixters are okayish, nothing too drastical etc, and some weird glitches occurred

6. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Revert tricksters scripts? Why? Aren't they good just because Kane add them?

And if you mean my scripts, there is nothing to revert because nobody has added them.:(

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The SMGs are less effective at range than the shotguns, and they run out of ammo ridiculously fast. If you find a gun too weak you're using it wrong.

Best long range guns are the HMG when prone and the carbine/HR.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i was saying they are a bit too strong for "an smg" imo

well, that is concidering smgs are like "rifles but less good" in empires

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah, I know, and that's a stupid idea, so I changed it.

Now the SMGs are perfectly lethal, the rifleman shotgun combines all the best attributes of both SMGs and increases the clip size, and the the carbine is a long range gun, but as most fighting should be occuring at mid to close range (because the guns are instant kill at close range while the carbine is slow kill at any range, the other guns are just slower at long range) you should be using SMGs.

Considering two classes in empires only have access to SMGs I don't feel that making them an inferior weapon in all respects is very sensible. It's a game, it should be fun, therefore all the guns must be fun and powerful in some way, there should be a reason to use every gun, therefore the SMG2 is the best close range weapon (apart from the shotguns which may outperform it slightly) while the SMG1 is a mid and close range weapon but it does not have exceptional performance in any role (except in the way all guns do at close range).

The shotguns are basically like the SMGs combined in terms of functionality but they have more ammo and are easier to hit with, in-keeping with the rifleman being the main direct anti-infantry class, the carbine/hr is a reliable gun which has consistent performance and works well at long range, but suffers from low damage output at close range, the HMG is quite adequate at mid range when prone or crouched and at long range when prone can provide consistent accurate fire support, but it will need reloading a lot. The scout carries more ammo than the engineer for his SMGs and his enhanced senses perfectly compliment the ambush capabilities of having a very good weapon, and I'd like to give him a zoomed version of the carbine/hr and reassign the carbine/hr to be something in between the carbine/hr and the SMG1, a sort of light assault rifle which works at mid-long range and better than the carbine at close range, but which does not excel, basically a general purpose gun, as the game sort of lacks one and I would like the rifleman to have a machinegun of some sort.

The rifles still perform better at long range (or the rifle, I only have one per side currently after all) but the SMGs act like SMGs, i.e a gun that was created to be really damn powerful in close quarters because of its ease of use and high rate of fire. That's the primary difference between rifles and SMGs, rifles keep working over long range and are accurate, SMGs work over short range and are less accurate, but they both kill people, same goes for handguns too which is why the handguns now do a lot of damage per shot at close range. The rifles suffer from the same sort of issues as real life rifles in that while they still hurt like hell, they are hard to use in close quarters. It's probably more 'realistic' than the current balance, although the point of it is simply to make the game more fun, which is why it still takes like five or six rifle bullets to kill someone.

All guns are dangerous, all guns kill people, using a gun that isn't and doesn't is not fun, therefore all my guns kill people. It is like 2.12 in the sense you can die real fast, but it is unlike 2.12 in that you can't kill entire squads with a single clip (unless you are really good and you can get right next to each and every one of them using the shotgun or SMG2) and you are limited in that you can only kill that fast at close range, so the incentive is to get close, although all guns really work at most ranges simply by volume of fire, the SMGs have far greater ROFs and the shotguns shoot many rounds per shot, although using guns like that eats ammunition.

It is rare that you cannot harm someone at all with your gun, but for best effect, get close, unless you're using the carbine in which case don't.

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

What glitches Blizzerd?

Also, my changes were just meant to be a balance fix to 2.24. I don't necessarily agree with 2.24 scripts in the first place, but I just balanced what we had.

Also, I'm not writing a changelog, just download winmerge and do it yourself, it takes 2 minutes.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

after extensive comparing, i favour chrisses weapon scripts, but i believe some things trickster did would be very nice if combined with chrisses scripts

also, both scripts seem to give crosshair glitches with me, this often happens if you use extreme accuracy/kick values

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Did you test these scripts on a listen server or a dedicated server? If the latter, you'll indeed get some crosshair glitches caused by the client having different scripts than the server.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i tested it on my private server, that i set up with empiresmod and steam just for comparing purposes

i properly updated the server and the client with the scripts before testing

i have basic understanding of folders, and files in Microsoft Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Server 2008 as required

14. Trickster

No you don't.
    *Stares intently*

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

no. i. dont.

all. hail. to. the. hypnotrickster.

16. Trickster

You favour Trickster-scripts.

[​IMG]

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Trickster is irrelevant along with everyone who agrees with him.

18. Omneh

Omneh Member

Oooooh exploitable. I need those pics of trickster.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

fine, il remove it again