infantry related research

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by paradinas, Jun 20, 2009.

?

Should new infantry related research be added?

1. yes

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. paradinas

paradinas Member

Vehicles improve over the course of a game more than infantry. So, adding some new infantry related research seems reasonable to me.

some possibilities:

cost changes:
    reduce grenadier RPG upgrade cost to 200 and 500

new effects:
    biological projectile gives all pistols 2 damage/s for 20s
    upgraded grenades increases the throw distance of all grenades by some flat amount

new techs:

electrical engineering - tracking systems - improved RPG guidance
    200 and 45s
    effect: reduce RPG turn radius by 1/3

electrical engineering - advanced magnet research - electromagnetic distortion field
    800 and 90s
    effect: enemy targets on friendly infantry are displayed at their position 7 seconds ago

biology - biological enhancement
    400 and 90s

biology - biological enhancement - improved strength
    500 and 45s
    effect: max ammo for infantry increased 50%

biology - biological enhancement - improved resilience
    500 and 45s
    infantry health increased by 15, health regeneration for infantry increased by 1 per 2s

chemistry - improved flagration compounds - advanced mortar ammunition
    150 and 45s
    effect: mortar explosion radius is doubled

not listed:
    speed - there are jeeps and APCs
    accuracy - I think infantry can already kill other infantry well enough

2. Binboy

Binboy Member

Hmm just thinking, another upgrade for RPGs where grenadiers could pick what type of RPGs they want. E.g Bio RPG, where it fires biological rockets instead of normal. HE Rpg, huge splash (old damage), Upgraded Grens, increases normal rpg damage.

3. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I would even half the current cost to 100 and 300 and double the research time to 60 and 90.
    Because you mostly need upgraded RPG to defence your base when you have no tanks. In this situations ressources are often low.

Good idea. So pistol 1 will become usefull.

Don't like this. Normal grenades are already very effective.

1/3 might be not noticeable. And I would enable this by only researching tracking systems.

7 seconds ago will be only confusing. Player will shout, that the targets are brocken. More evident would be a fade in and out (5 sec visible, 5 sec unvisible)

Not very logical. Improved strength -> increased ammo? Increased ammo would better fit to mechanical.

Also not logical. Just call it advanced mortar damage. But doubled explosion radius is to much. There are some skilled gren, who will then have a kill at every shot. 50% more radius might be better.

Jeeps can't be fast enough. Especially at uphill. Jeep seems to be the slowest vehicle there. But it should be the fastest.

4. Binboy

Binboy Member

You know what we need? upgraded stickies.

5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

<filler>

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

When I first played empires, I believed that the bullet upgrades were for vehicles and infantry, so i waited till com got the explosive tipped bullets, and i started shooting everywhere, and was saddened at the shitty idea of vehicle only research. If infantry research was real, maybe people wont spam tanks anymore.Oh and explosive rifle bullets would need to be added to your list ASAP.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Lol, I feel for you. The main fact is we just haven't gotten round to getting a whole bunch of infantry research in and balanced yet. But actually, if you think about it, the game is supposed to be a little more geared towards vehicles - with the advent of aircraft coming for a long time now, and even seacraft looming on the horizon for 10 years away.

8. paradinas

paradinas Member

SIP:
    If you're upgrading infantry, then your team would be using infantry more and tanks less. That means less resources spent on tanks.

I suppose 50% increased mortar radius might be better.

How is increased strength increasing ammo not logical? Stronger soldiers can carry more ammo.

SIP and Shadow:
    I thought a delay for target positions would be good because it would encourage more maneuver and discourage simply shooting at the red diamond instead of looking where you're shooting.

Grantrithor:
    I considered explosive infantry bullets, but the way the game mechanics work, infantry bullets having small explosions would mainly make them effective against vehicles, leading to everyone shooting the vehicles a lot with their rifles until they die, and I thought avoiding that was the point of the vehicle vs infantry damage system.

Binboy:
    A flat distance increase for thrown grenades would be mainly a sticky improvement.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009