Infantry + buildings

Discussion in 'Support' started by communism, May 21, 2009.

1. communism

communism poof

I was gonna post this in mantis but I'm not sure if its worthy ;P

Is there anyway to fix it so when players die inside of buildings their bodies will stay on top of the floor instead of falling through? That would make it possible to revive dead team mates inside of an enemy/friendly barracks

2. Faunze

Faunze Member

From my own experience this is possible, and I'm not too sure about why it's actually happening right now, in standard half life 2 bodies will fall through certain objects, but most they won't, they often fall through smaller things like barrels and paint buckets but if you kill someone on top of a cargo container they USUALLY just die on top of it.

Probably how the ragdoll is configured instead of the actual building, although I may be wrong. A certain fix would be to create the floor of a building as an actual brush but that would be an insane ammount of work and wouldn't be worth it, it would cause alot of problems in the map as it wouldn't be compiled.

However another problem with changing the ragdoll to collide with buildings is they would most likely collide with tanks, which means if you run someone over you might well have a ragdoll spazzing out on the front of your tank which is never good for anyone.

So it is possible, but probably very fiddly.

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Good question. try:
    cl_ragdoll_collide "1"
    cl_ragdoll_physics_enable "1"

4. Faunze

Faunze Member

Pretty sure ragdoll collide only makes ragdolls stackable, instead of falling through eachother.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

bodies are currently on the same level as "debris" props atm

its less demanding for your cpu and network connection (reduces lag because bodies can be rendered entirely client side)

disadvantages are that they will not be on the exact same spot for everyone in the server (because it doesnt matter anyway, debris has no real interaction so its just for visual effect only) and that they will be unable to collide with anything but brushwork (and "some" static props, empires props are dynamic props i think...)

I COULD BE WRONG since i based this on observation, but at the very least it is close to the truth

6. Caelo

Caelo Member

The problem here it seems is that the bodies actually do have real interaction with the player and are not just for visual effects...

7. Demented

Demented Member

It's usually not too big a consequence. The chances of someone haxing the system so that they can revive people from anywhere is slim. =P

Unfortunately, it means funky things can happen if a ragdoll collides with a building, but the building doesn't collide with the ragdoll. Namely, if a building gets placed on top of one. Clientside, you'll hear a lot of of noise if the ragdoll doesn't like how it's positioned while stuck inside of the building and starts flapping about.

8. Faunze

Faunze Member

Good point actually, and not being able to place a building because of a ragdol will be so annoying, especially when defending a base.

9. communism

communism poof

This would help gameplay/modelers extremely though.
    Knowing that you cannot go inside a barracks and kill the engies because you might die and be fucked (aka not revived) really does hamper squads