Infantry Armor

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Metal Smith, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Why don't infantry have "Armor"? Make health all the same, and give them actual armor that they can see and fix.

Also, either add this armor to have faction specific resistance to attack types or researchable resistance.

This would also eliminate the "Riflemen take 50% less damage from a mine" or "They take stamina damage" problem, which has been buggy and sometimes annoying.

Armor would be fixed by calc, Health is only replenished at a health crate.

Scouts have the smallest armor (25-30) and Engie's have moderate (50~), Riflemen have decent (75~), and grens have the most (100). Instead of health bonus for health, get armor bonus. Scout rifle or head shots could ignore armor, possibly add a helmet for riflemen that protects against ALL headshots.

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Let me clerify a couple points to this.

This would essentially let the engineer keep to it's role of "Medic" but weaken it's power as a medic, First and foremost. Reviving would not restore armor. This would also make the engy need to spend MORE on repairing his armor, and not able to revive another person immediately.

Riflemen would not be able to take quite a bit more damage by being crouched and at a range.

Would put in a very hard difference between infantry types. Also, the optional "Headshot does not hit armor, bypasses it" would give scouts something to aim for... :P

Giving riflemen a helmet to protect against headshots would give them the infantry strength they need.

This will also give SOLID numbers to the damage you can take.

Armors could be upgraded either by adding a class wide amount of armor (5-10 or something, with probably 3 levels of armor advancement.). Possible a damage type resist.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

making engies spend more time standing in one place with +mouse1
    making scunting more profitable
    headshot immunity

do not want

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I'd rather have specific armour against tanks for infantry than infantry armour against infantry, that's what we have tanks for.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

As soon as I started reading, I knew you'd say that.

It's a good idea but requires role-play like class balancing (yes, like our role-play skills and levels already in the game lol).

Tbh, you should just close this thread or delete it, no one would be bothered to do the required balancing, and if someone does it will definately never get so much as a test.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

:P am i that biased against engis that you would expect that from me?

also, the idea bout immunity to headshots or what not wasn't really seriously tossed around, and it was actually made a suggestion that scouts ignore armor all together as a skill.

at any rate, don't get the wrong idea, i don't mean leveling up armor or anything. i just mean a solid number for armor to replace stuff like falloff. Like CS has armor. It absorbs HE grenade damage for example. well, it does damage to the chest by default which is primarily absorbed by armor.

at any rate, I would just love to see a solid value for what the Riflemen is doing when he's not dying to godly amounts of fire.

The issue that brought this up is really riflemen and their stamina instead of damage trait.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Engies don't really need heal and revive, tbh. I've been advocating giving healing to scout for forever, albeit in different forms. That's a different topic though, so I won't go on about it.

I meant levels in that rank promotions are equivalent, in that they unlock new skills and sometimes abilities.

The legwork here is in developing a system of values that works approximately, so if you actually get around to showing it to a dev, they can see the use. If you don't do that legwork though, t3h thread be goin' outta date preeetty soon.