Increasing situational awareness

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Nickierv, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

In reading the threads on the issues that the commanders have with teams is more of a lack of situational awareness that anything else. I am not talking about finding targets without wall hacks, but more of how do you get people to go to where you need them to be.

Examples:

If you are ___ go/do ___.
    Alpha north Bravo south
    Yet everyone, ie alpha and bravo, ends up in south.

What do people do as commander to get squads to go to the appointed areas.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Select all of them and spam the go to this area move order til they give up and follow.

3. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I look at the names and talk to 3-4 of them. See who responds and who doesn't.

4. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

Yeah, I find this works the best. Move orders override targets which bugs people. It's better to find some names and yell them into the mic.

5. RKB53

RKB53 Member

What I do is make a squad of newbies, the rest vets. I leave the vets to do what they do best.

And talk the newbies all the way through, it works well.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Exploit, or sit in spec bitching about everything?

Good idea.

7. Sirex

Sirex Member

Order squads work, otherwise spam move orders to the squad that don't listen. I have found that you will have more succes "spending" the orders on good move orders for each squad and allow the Squad leder to give local move order when he and the squad has reached the attack objective contrary to "spending" the orders on lame wallhaxs all the time.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  8. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

situational awareness is just basically a component of general intelligence. past a certain point of experience, a person will never improve.

basically, there's no way to make people more aware if they've already played empires enough to be 'experienced.' some people are just born to be dumb.

likewise with aim.

lolwat? you're telling me that giving a squad move/guard orders is better than wallhacks? why can't you just use the mic for that? if you were trying to order me around with guard/move commands and not giving targets i would rage SO hard on you.

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

This is the main point in empires. Good players will follow commander orders bad players won't. I see no way to change this. It sometimes helps if you talk to players directly.

And it would be sometimes nice if you could recycle useless players. But because this feature will never implemented you can try to recycle forward barracks. This sometimes helps to get players out of a noob magnet.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i personally like how americas army does it, it makes you really part of a team and you will stick to them etc and help them do there job

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I drive my boomtank there and tell them that the game is over unless they get there. It either forces them to move or we were doomed to lose anyway.

12. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

After several rounds of testing, I have tried these ideas as well as some variants. Here are the results.

This, just pissed them off, but I think they got the idea.

Seems to work, but only if they have sound on and only if they have usable names.

Vets north, newbies south. 5 minutes later, south falls apart as everyone spawns north.

spec stack ftw.

The problem is less of squad level, its more of a individual level. A is north, B is mid, C is south, and 1 guy from B and C are in north.

Good point
    /cookie

And another good point
    /cookie

Sounds promising, can we get an example?

Lead by example seems to work.
    /cookie