Increased Projectile Speed For Ranged Cannon

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Private Sandbag, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

The purpose, if i'm not mistaken, of the ranged cannon, is that it is good for taking down enemy tanks at range. The ability to hit the enemy at range depends on how fast a projectile is, as faster projectiles allow less error. This is why unguided missiles rarely ever hit at range, but standard cannon can

Why is the ranged cannon so slow? It's currently slower than HE. and this makes it MORE difficult to shoot at range with than HE.

I propose that the speed of the ranged cannon shell be increased by 50%, and the gravity on it turned up to compensate so it doesn't get any range bonus by this suggestion. I also suggest that the recoil on the gun, the stuff moves the crosshair around after a shot, gets toned down, so that it is the weapon of choice for ranged combat.

Personally, I think ranged cannon should also do 80 damage, more than HE, because it doesn't have the splash damage, but that is not for this discussion.

2. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I agree 100%. At the moment, ranged cannon is the most unused. HE should be an all round cannon, and ranged should be one of the better anti tank ones, as a decent counter against heavies for mediums.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

How did you come to this conclusion?

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Ahh, i forgot to mention in my first post that yes this would make the ranged cannon worse against absorbant. to be honest, I don't think this change (making it worse against absorbant) negatively effects gameplay at all.

railguns: fast firing, create little heat
    ranged cannons: slow firing, create more heat.

5. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I'd always imagined that the ranged cannon should be like the BF2 tank's cannon.

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I thought RC already was ultra-fast?

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

ranged cannon speed is 30 * 10^X
    HE cannon is 32 * 10^X
    Railgun is 40 something * 10^X

I can't remember what the X is, but that shows you for comparison.

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I agree that its slow.. I remember some idiot commander researched it for our tanks and it seemed like the shots were in slow motion.. haha oddly enough the only hits I made were close range

but maybe its like this for a reason.. Its best used with arty.. I would think

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well as I see it, HE has the advantage of splash damage, making it a more artilleryesque shell, good against groups of buildings and infantry, so it shouldn't also be the best shell against tanks, because otherwise it renders the others obsolete.

ER cannon should pack more punch against tanks and have greater speed, or at least be so much more accurate than HE that it would functionally be the better choice for AT warfare.

10. dizzyone

The cannon does what it's names says, some of you are exaggerating the difference between ER and HE.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

But HE is infinitely better.

You can already hit everywhere on the map with HE (I know, I used a dual HE heavy as artillery once on money). And ER cannon is usually less effective at range than the HE, because the arc on the HE means you can fire it over things. ER is functionally useless at range without either considerably increased power, ala HE, or substantially increased projectile speed which means you can actually hit things at range other than buildings, which are already quite easy to hit with the HE gun.

12. dizzyone

Not everything needs to compete with HE.

The way I see it is that you get the extended range research for arty and the 2 slot cannon weapon just comes with it, it does alright damage, easy to hit with and is ment for longer ranges. It has already been buffed considerably, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Discussions about small details really don't amount to anything as there's a new weapon system being developed, just give it a rest, current system is old and needs a rework, there is no point in changing values around.

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I don't think that's a very good way to think of the ER cannon.

I'd rather have competent alternatives to use in my vehicles instead of one viable research path and a bunch of rejects.

given that HE does kick the shit out of infantry, and it's good for clusters of units, I think ER should actually be good at range and do more damage when it hits. give guns roles instead of just saying "this gun is good, the others can go make a giant custerfuck pile in the county of failfordshire."

and anyway, in 99 out of 100 situations, you'd rather have HE than ER in an artilliary, especially because of the enormous nofire zone around your arty with ER.

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I dont use extended cannon much on any tank other then arty but the times I have I was actually able to kill enemey tanks(that used HE shells) pretty easy.. the key is to get in some shots from distance and lure them into wasting what little ammo they have.. So if your good like me HE shells are better agianst turrets but ER is better agiasnt tanks

Plus HE shells dont reach very far.. exclude the shit map money and try it on Cyclopean or Slaughtered

Tho I do think speeding the shell up a bit wouldnt hurt

15. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

The extended range cannon does have an extended range, but it doesn't have a longer effective range.

16. dizzyone

The ER is already a good cannon, it has never been an 'alternative' to HE. It's a specialized cannon ment for specific situation where it is intended for.

The new weapon system is completely different, there is no point in discussing this stuff.

Also I'll go ahead with saying, you're completely right sandbag, everything you say is correct. So from now on I won't bother reading it, assume you're right and proceed with what I was working on. If you think you have a clue of how it should be, go ahead and do it, send it to Krenzo. Right now nobody else than me is balancing this stuff, you made your point, I'm not changing it; if you still want it in, have fun with the scripts, these discussions don't get anywhere and it is sort of agrivating as I don't feel like making my point clear on every single value that has been in since the dawn of man.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  17. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Maybe Extended Range Cannon Research would instead extend the range of all cannons instead?

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I don't understand.

is the whole weapon system being completely redone or... what? I dunno what i've done to piss you off... :(

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well that sounds good. The reason I take issue is that you have all these weapons, armours and engines, but only one or two of each are actually feasible or effective.

20. dizzyone

@Sandbag

Yes that's what I was trying to say, I'm working on a completely new weapon system.

@Chris

Most are not feasible because of their position in the research tree, but all armor and engines are feasible. Some might disagree with me but I believe all weapons are feasible in their own right.
    Not all weapons are ment to be used in every situation, it's not a linear buildup, or a linear counter path you can take. All weapons do well when used the way they are supposed to be used. Most of them require teamwork and double teaming.

For instance plasma is a support anti tank weapon. It's not ment to go one on one vs HE, neither is ER.

The new system is based on more variety and countering (not based on research path, but rather the individual weapon choice), while sticking to a more general research strategy, rather than a very specialized research strategy. The biuldup of weaponry is split up into phases and all weapons in a certain tree inherit the same charasterics. Which would mean that instead of having one extended range, all weapons of a certain tech would have a slight extended range. The weapons on their own however are not based on being balanced one on one compared to a similar weapon in a different tech. That's an element I'm keeping from the old weapon system. They need to be used in their own right and all require their own playstyle, tactics and strategy.

Which means weapons should be used for a specific task and most weapons will be useless for general situations but will be the prefered choice in those special situations that require a different approach than the allround HE.

I know I'm bad at explaining things, just be a bit patient, having to change current weapons constantly really doesn't help.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008