In-game Sign-in Broken

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jessiah, May 11, 2009.

1. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

The function I am talking about is when you are ingame and try to connect to a server, STEAM passes a notification to the game (as in, the notification is created by STEAM, but displayed by the game UI) stating that 'This account has been signed in at another location.' In normal circumstances, after clicking OK in the dialogue box (still ingame), the game would normally bring up another dialogue box where you can enter your password and re-authenticate with STEAM without the need to exit STEAM and relaunch it. I first noticed that Empires stopped doing this a while ago, it was 2.2 I believe (sorry I didn't mention it sooner). All Source games on STEAM do this. Empires is the only mod I have ever played (and I have played pretty much everything on ModDB thats rated 7.0 or higher, to give you an idea on how many mods this isn't broken in) that magically stopped doing this.

The way Empires handles this is displaying the notification, but once you click OK nothing happens. In order to actually play one must restart STEAM itself. I think I speak for all multi-PC STEAM users when I say please fix this for the next patch. I would be happy to help test this function, I get this whenever I try to play a game online after switching computers.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why not just log off when you leave your computer?

3. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I'm pretty sure that's not in the scope of Empires, as they would never let mods handle any part of Steam authentication.

I'll see if I can dig something up on this.

4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

It works in every other mod I've played. It USED to work in Empires. It's not handled by the mod itself I don't think, it's passed into the game by STEAM itself.

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

Steam uses VGUI to display the dialogs ingame so isn't it possible someone wacked the VGUI handling code?