implementation of mines

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by OuNin, Feb 13, 2010.

?

Mines should be implemented as:

1. 9th mine disappears, negligible structure damage (current)

14.7%
  2. 9th mine disappears, significant structure damage (8-mine)

8.8%
  3. 9th mine explodes, negligible structure damage

20.6%
  4. 9th mine explodes, significant structure damage

55.9%
  1. Phantom

Phantom Member

1. Hex, if you read backwards [insert quantity of posts here], you'll realize that I am in favor of removing the current auto button gren defusal approach on vehicles which would facillitate stalemates by itself (which was my point). However, I would only be in favor of this approach if a (or preferably multiple) valid alternative(s) were presented...<----- = kinda the key point that makes my previous argument not a contradiction.

2. Who argued anything about walls vs mines in terms of which has the greater impact on stalemates? They work in tandem, and the effect would be exacerbated by the removal of the gren ability on the vehicle altogether (and here's the kicker...gotta make sure i make it clear) without a viable alternative(s) replacing it (such as researched mine cages on vehicles). Seeing as how I'm mostly referring to the vehicle effect ^^, your point about district is rendered invalid (I used it as an example of the mindless gameplay that stalemates cause).

3. My solution does not involve simply removing mines and or the gren effect on vehicles (which are both lazy and extremest ideas), but rather attempt to BALANCE the pre-existing game structure as we know it. Which as an example would include:
    A. Allowing for 3 options of mines (as described before), each with a more specific purpose so as not to see the mine spam that we currently have in retarded places in most games affecting all nature of units.
    B. Remove the gren effect on vehicles (as it currently stands) and replace it with researchable upgrades to vehicles. Or, I like the current current examples of gren defusal causing significant reduced damage/physics effects to vehicles with grens inside (though this still promotes grens as the sole solution to bypassing minefields. Other factors would also be taken into consideration here such as making mines much more difficult to see with the naked eye (requiring defusal engies to actually use their mine tracking abilities), but very easy to dispose of (shooting the mines with tank cannons etc). Just some passing ideas that emphasize a single goal.

On a side note, I'd like to point out that despite popular belief, walls do not make auto stalemates on money...Once either team has an effective armor (especially with mediums or heavies), they are then able to push through said walls with relative ease. The stalemates are normally caused by people being too afraid to die/not working together and sitting outside the walls in their vehicles as opposed to deconstructing them...which is player based. Now take away defusal effect on vehicles without adding in an alternative option and you take that penetrating ability of tanks to exploit a hole in the wall which then causes true stalemates to occur....

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Subversion I think. It's the file management and distribution system that they use for the testers! WOo!!

3. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Exactl. As much as I hate to say it, anything that requires teamwork to do and is essential for pushing forward is gonna cause stalemates.
    By forcing people to work together to defuse mines, stalemates would occur more than they are now.

I do support the mine cage idea though., even if it would make defusal a pretty much completely obsolete skill.

4. Phantom

Phantom Member

1. Yep, thats what i was 100% agreeing with. :( poor empires and its noob members who lack teamwork.

2. The only reason I suggested getting rid of defusal as its kinda an I have it or don't have it option. You're either a gren and COMPLETELY ignore mines...or you're not and get flipped/pwned by them. And while thats not a terrible thing, it's something that could be rectified. But as you and I appear to agree on, we can't simply remove the defusal effect on vehicles altogether as that would def promote stagnant gameplay in many circumstances. Which is why the cage/alternative research option is one of many potentially viable alternatives that would spread mine protection across multiple classes (note protection as in damage reduction...not immunity). Defusal would still be a viable skill (though preferably on engies) because of my other recommendation and the fact that vehicles will still be damaged. To split mine types and have them be very difficult to see would force (preferably engineers) to walk around with their calcs out and the defusal ability in order to find/defuse anti-personnel and anti-vehicle mines.

3. One of the major issues with attempting ^^ suggestions is that they require balancing/game structure changes on a wide scale, which most people are unwilling to conceptualize let alone implement via code. I think that this lack of...initiative...is what holds back empires from being a "great" game as opposed to one that is "good."...There are just so many possibilities with the rts/fps combination that are not being exploited here/yet.

5. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

Thing is, if the defusal cage isn't uberleet to the point that mines are obsolete, it generally won't be researched. So either it's really good or people use teamwork and coordination to attempt to find mines.
    Also, giving defusal to engies would give another reason to drive tanks as engineers as if there weren't enough reasons already.

6. Phantom

Phantom Member

You rectify that in one of many ways. For example...offer a mine solution in almost every research tree. Or put it in a place like mechanical engineering out in the open at low cost/low research time (like .50 cal currently stands). Or tie it to other research.

My preference would to be a combination of some of these options. For example: have multiple technologies solely dedicated to reducing portions of mine damage. And on top of that have them all be in easy to access places either for dirt cheap (time/res) or where they're coupled with another technology.

Ex: Early Magnetic Mine Detonation: The mines detonate automatically when a vehicle with this comes within x distance. This would all for reduced damage due to blast drop-off and your tanks wouldn't flip due to blast distance. Put this in advanced magnet research and voila, anyone who goes there gets this particular upgrade as an option to checkbox (and say pay 150 res for) on their tanks.

^^ is just some random idea, but a lot can be done with this if people sit down and brainstorm. Such as varience between solutions (magnets as shown in the above example wouldn't reduce damage as much as say something like 'increased hull armor' would...but it would prevent vehicle flip as well. etc etc yada yada [insert ramblings here].

7. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

Mines should flip vehicles tho :(

8. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

2 or three mines usually do. ;) Or at least send em flying

9. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

I know, but phantom is suggesting that they shouldn't.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Well if they don't, there goes ninjaing for good.

Sounds like a plan to me.

11. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

If ninjaing is gone for good and you have an incompetent commander who won't rush, how else will you give hope to people that they may win the game?

12. Demented

Demented Member

Build walls and mock the other team until they all ragequit, of course.

13. Empty

Empty Member

Fixed.