Implementation of aircraft.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Omneh, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

BF heros style, make sure theres a clear runway from the aircraft factory

2. willvette

willvette Member

*sarcastic* yea go C&C Generals style airport, a short runway, control tower, a hanger perpendicular to the runway, and a heli-pad.

NO!!!!!!! vertical take-off and landings take up less space

unless you have a civilian air port placed by a mapper NF or BE can commandeer (like the refinery)

3. zenarion

zenarion Member

VTOL is the way to go.

4. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

no, just make sure you build your vehicle factory has space in front off it. Same thing like with VFs. Fail VFs face the wall. Empires airplanes should be able to take off with minimum runway.

5. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I for one love this idea.

It automatically dictates which maps have airplanes and which don't, since a map which doesn't have an airfactory "node" can't have aircraft, and it could prevent the comm from putting an airfactory in a stupid place :pathetic:.

I guess it would contribute to monotony and redundancy of building bases on classic maps, i.e. you always build a barracks here, you always make a base SE, but I think it would be a cool way to implement aircraft. Also I just wanna make a really cool looking airport ;)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

aircraft would become an additional strategical resource, i very much like it

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

People can't even do that with a VF.

Weapons can be disabled while in VTOL mode to prevent floating death tanks.

8. willvette

willvette Member

if I recall, I made a post involving docks working the same way.
    LINK
    We can have a civilian landing stripe that the commander can place a Aircraft Factory over, of coerce it will need coding to snap in the correct direction.
    Also make 3 airport models, civilian landing stripe (w/ node coding), NF and BE Aircraft Factory.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make 1 "cappable" aircraft factory model, and 3 skins (neutral, be, nf)

10. Omneh

Omneh Member

Instead of fucking around with airports and other poorly contrived shit, why not just stick a value in the emp_info_params that says "Aircraft? Yes/No"? Aircraft are built from a factory, it wouldn't make sense for the airfactory to have special conditions for its placement when the vehicle factory doesn't.

Oh, and aircraft will have to be VTOL's. There isn't enough room for battlefield style jets in even the biggest maps (think cyclopean and duststorm) and no, we can't have bigger maps due to limits on the source engine.

11. willvette

willvette Member

This would be the only way to do it if you want runways, if not, than a heli-pad is all you need.

I voted for the commandeering a civilian landing strip (Airport Node).
    Please place your vote HERE

;)

12. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

1. None of those designs seem to be suited to air-to-air combat that will exist because of these vehicles.
    2. No fighters or bombers, WTF.
    3. There should be at least 2 pilots/co-pilots per dropship/gunship.

13. o_O

o_O Member

I can't wait until someone makes a map thats aircraft carrier blimbs fighting and theres ref points on clouds. Thats my big concern with aircraft implementation :)

14. zenarion

zenarion Member

Aircraft should NOT be hard to pilot, or require 4 people just to get off the ground. Simply because Empires isn't a realistic game, and should work with a few people on a server too.

Aircraft need 2 roles as is: transporting troops, and providing a lot of firepower where tanks can't go. A transport VTOL and a gunship VTOL are sufficient variations. Later, heavy/light/medium versions of these can be made, to house different weapons.

15. [D3]Leroy Jenkins

[D3]Leroy Jenkins Member

Agree 100% if 4 people were required per aircraft then engineers would have field day whenever 1 got shotdown because they would get 5 points so just taking 4 aircraft down=20 points. And forget realisim i wouldn't get aircraft if they were expensive, hard to use, expensive to research, took 4 tickets out whenever they died, and were easy to destroy.

Balancing shouldn't be an issue they should be expensive to get and make and should be powered as such if it means that they are very strong thats great but if you lose them or crash them alot your res will go down very quickly. I would say a gunship should be 1900-2600 res and should be a little challenging to destroy.

16. zenarion

zenarion Member

Forget realism at all. This is about semi-arcade gameplay, with semi-realistic visuals.
    Realistic must go away when half the server is carrying magical iPods that resurrect the dead, create buildings out of nothing, and make enemies disappear.

17. thaile

thaile Member

What happen to the whole scaling maps thing? Airplanes weren't suppose to be able to be used in current maps because of the size. A single gunship in the middle of cyclopean could take out everything around it. But scale everything down 16x and you got a map thats 256x the size of cyclopean. Even 3 phase jeeps would take forever to get from one side to the other.

18. zenarion

zenarion Member

Scale everything down, and forget about melee, headshots, and all that other "physics" and "collision" jazz for small stuff. Read Source documentation plz k tnx?

19. silverleaf81

silverleaf81 Member

not to be a whiney person, but how long until they release aircrafts? and if they don't...:(

20. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

In reality, map scaling is not feasible. nuff said.

A single gunship in the middle of cyclopean would not be able to kill everything on the map due to accuracy, lock on ranges, map fog, nodraw distance... Also, you can be shot by everything around you whilst you only shoot in one direction.

Neutral airfields, whilst they may be a nice touch, should not be staple. do as omni said, the mapper decides if an AF can be placed, default is no. Buildings can be spawned by flag caps, so even if AF building is disabled it would be possible to have neutral airfields only, if the mapper wanted.

Co-piloting tanks without ridiculous visual perks (turrets being left behind, people shooting 10 yards away from their gun...) is impossible, full stop. I imagine aircraft would be similar. Also, it would suck to need multiple people to use a plane, remember most people are noobs or newbs...

Aircraft won't be fast because a) small maps and b) they'd be invincible. The thing about them is they go over things. That's their advantage, their disadvantage is the fact they esplode pretty quick.