Immigration, Illegals, Workers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by alucard13mmfmj, Oct 27, 2011.

1. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

What do you guys think about people immigrating or illegally immigrating to a country just for greener pastures, work and welfare?

ex: There is currently 140,000 Philippino workers, mostly in the house service sector, working in Hong Kong. These workers, who are not citizens of HK, are demanding that they should have access to social perks that HK citizens would have, such as medicine, school, and housing. They are requesting all of those things because these workers want to bring their families from the Phillipines to live with them in HK.. which would increase the # of people on social perks by 800,000 (workers + family). Now keep in mind, these workers do not pay taxes, because they work under a certain wage. The wages is still better than what they make back home. Strangely enough, the government is in the first phase of allowing this to occur. People from all over asia would flock to Hong Kong to work.

*I dont agree this should be allowed. Hong Kong should help its citizens first. Hell they should let Chinese people in, because mainland chinese want to live in Hong Kong. This is just a case of people trying to exploit welfare. I would predict HK would be heavily in debt. Keep in mind, this will allow any worker from a foreign country access to its welfare after working a certain amount of time there.

ex: US/Mexico. Illegal immigrants from south of the border have been taking advantage of the porous borders between USA and Mexico. They come to seek a better life. Where they can get free medical treatment, get on welfare, and use public services without paying taxes. Now, there are illegal immigrants that come from all over the world, who wants to get into the USA... but it seems that mexicans are the most prevalent. When we want to go after illegal immigration, illegal hispanic immigrants and many hispanic US citizens use the race card. There is about 25 million illegal immigrants in the USA. Also the fact that people who immigrate to USA, mainly muslims, want to change US laws or views to make the general population to make exceptions for their muslim ways.

*I think applying for greencards or citizenship should be easier. We should also remove certain welfare systems, or at least re-evaluate it so only people with proof of citizenship and/or pay taxes can have access to. I was a democrat/liberal, but now I am leaning towards independent or republican/Ron Paul. If you are in Rome, act Roman.

ex: briton... well i dont know much about britains situation, but i hear its bad as well. immigrants come to britain and realize its a piece of shit place to live too and they are poor and want more welfare. a lot of the immigrants dont bother to integrate into the local community. probably same in australia?

*it seems if a country is doing well, everyone will immigrate to it and try to get a piece of the pie. people will immigrate there until resource is sucked dry and the economy and government collapses. of course, i wouldnt contribute a country's collapse solely on bloated welfare/socialized system.

2. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

bla, bla, bla... I don't think, I just consume.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Actually, more immigrants work in Britain because of the huge improvement in quality of life and the comparatively high minimum wage here. More "British" people are on welfare than immigrants, the newspapers sensationalise it when they find immigrants on welfare though. But realistically, without the Polish plumbers, Middle Eastern Cornershop owners and various other roles taken up by immigrants (they tend to cluster around the same jobs), this country wouldn't function. Britain isn't a "piece of shit place to live", it's pretty nice besides the weather, and the free healthcare and other services are generally quite nice. Australia has incredibly tough immigration rules though so, they don't really have issues.

Overall, you're an idiot. The US benefits from immigrants, including illegal ones. Hong Kong is maybe an exception because it's basically a city-country (much like Singapore), but 90% of the time, immigration is good for the country. Most of the people abusing the welfare system in the UK are British citizens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eyJIbSgdSE

Been posted here before, and it's worth a watch. This guy is a genius on most things.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If people want to come here and work, let them. If they want to do it off the books, well, personally I'd hand out the citizenships, see if you can get some of them on board with the whole tax thing in exchange for getting the police off their back.

Basically I think a lot of countries seem to do it backwards, they have very restrictive immigration policies, and deport people doing quite a lot of work simply for not wanting to go through the immigration stuff.

To me, it would make more sense to look at the people working for crappy pay and living in packed housing, say 'hey you can have free citizenship and we'll give you a somewhat nicer house and stuff and free healthcare and police protection and all that, just keep doing that work you're doing and give us some tax money'.

It just seems sometimes as though encouraging people to come and work here would be better than being really picky about it and ending up with a bunch of people doing it illegally.

I imagine the reason the government don't is because a lot of people here are racist dickbags who hate the idea of anybody other than white british born people living in britain, but fuck them and their retarded xenophobia.

Also it's fucking australia, the least hospitible country on the planet, land a boat on the nearest shore and you'll have to walk across the fucking desert to reach civilisation.

I wouldn't even know HOW to illegally immigrate to australia, let alone what sort of shit you'd have to be in to want to risk it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Seems like you boi's need a lesson on Australian immigration.

Australia is a giant Western island in the middle of the Asia-Pacific. We have plenty of public housing, free healthcare, a good dole and as such we attract many migrants. We also get plenty of asylum seekers, many of whom go from country to country in attempt to reach Australia, usually with their last port as Malaysia.

For multiple reasons, asylum seekers, and immigration, have extended into the public eye in Australia and are a very touchy political issue. Up until 1960, Australia had a White Australia policy, in that only white Europeans could immigrate to Australia. After it's dismantling by the Fraser government, suprisingly in a time when the Conservatives had the power, Australia has seen an exponential amount of immigration from neighboring nations.

The Tampa crisis in 2001 was the trigger that politisized asylum seekers and illegal immigrants. With Australia slowly having more illegal boat arrivals each year, it is becoming more and more of an issue, especially at election times. Australia is a signatory to the refugee convention but. Under the conservative Howard government from 96-07 we have engaged in twisting the purpose of it by using loopholes such as sea borders to deny asylum seekers access to the country by literally towing them back to their port.

People smuggling is a very widespread and extremely profitable trade in the Pacific, as there are increasing numbers of people attempting to get to Australia. People smugglers now know that in order to not get sent back to port they must sabotage their boats. At the beginning of this year we had people smugglers sabotage their boat to stay in Australia, resulting in the deaths of a little less than 15 women and children.

The liberal Labour government has an offshore policy, to get asylum seekers processed in neighboring countries. Recently, however, the highest court in Australia, the Supreme Court, declared that offshore processing was illegal and stopped the government from doing so. It is important to note that the Leader of the Opposition, in an attempt to discredit the government, decided against helping them change the law so they could use offshore processing. As such, processing is now done onshore until further notice.

For decades now, legislation has been in place that means all asylum seekers face mandatory detention, sometime for up to years. This was an attempt to discourage asylum seekers and break the business models of people smugglers. I personally know someone who represents asylum seekers in court, as she works as state represented legal aid. In the past week, 2 asylum seekers killed themselves in detention.

My current stance on this issue is that mandatory detention is a horrible activity that needs to be stopped immediately. However, I do understand that most refugees end up on the welfare system and live in community house for their lives. I also do not believe that because you fear persecution in your country, you can simply go through 6-7 countries in transit and just "happen" to end up on the one with the welfare system. I suppose that I'm very neutral on this issue. Anyhow, that's Australian immigration in a nutshell.

TL;DR - Everything is really complicated and some things I've said probably won't make sense without a good background on them. But basically you can't just talk about Australian immigration in a single line, as has been done above.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

whats so bad about your pov? its quite reflected. i find it only logical that people end up in countries with high social standards, or would you go to a different one?
    in the end the problem isnt social security in the target countries, the problem is the lack of it in the origin countries.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011