I'm still finding games are decided too quickly.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Chris0132', Jan 4, 2009.

1. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

The biggest problem I find to short maps is the lack of brain cells. I exploit(the term used correctly, not the bastardization referred to as greifing) the enemies weaknesses every single time as commander. I look for holes, pockets, backdoors, you name it. Im always offensive.

This is a problem I doubt can be solved without including an invisible wall and a no-rush timer...but then how lame would an FPS be with that?

I say we just give everyone s few SAT questions before they can download empires. :P

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

APC gets parked outside turret range and 8 grenadiers spawn in it and destroy turrets with RPG. Map turrets are really bad at defending. If they have any weaknesses, everyone will know about them after a few days.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I mean put them in the actual base, perhaps behind hidey holes so you can't attack them from long range, but they cover the base well.

It stops APC rushes because they can't rush into the base and kill stuff unopposed, sure they can rush to just outside the base and mortar it to death from behind the safety of a wall and engy turrets, but 8 grenadiers can get in an APC at the moment and do the exact same thing, they just don't because it's a useless tactic. The only one that works is rushing the comm and turrets can prevent that.

Even if you didn't do that and just put say four level 3 MLs scattered along the approach to the base that would take long enough to kill for the defenders to counterattack, which would do the exact same thing as having APC spawns be delayed, except it would only affect bases. It wouldn't stop a tank attack because tanks can easily take out turrets from range, while grenadiers take longer and the APC has to stop each time and can't defend itself easily, and is susceptable to defending grenadiers rocket sniping it.

Hell if all else fails just put a perimeter around the starting location that adds heat to APCs which go in it and deactivates after about five minutes. There are buckets of ways to solve the problem that don't have the additional problems that making APC spawns an optional research carry.

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

APCs need to be slowed the hell down and if they have any weapons, they shouldn't have full armor.
    That is just on the subject of APCs.

The early game rush though, it does depend a lot on the maps. Maps should be designed that both teams can get an equal amount of land in the start and be able to defend at the start.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about upkeep for buildings?

6. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

APCs should be slower and only allow 1 person to spawn ever 10-20 seconds so they actually fill the role they are supposed to providing infantry to support the front lines not be retarded things that get filled up and drive around the enemy base in circles outrunning tanks and providing a full barracks worth of spawning.

kthxbai

7. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Hmm. That sounds reasonable, as noobish as you are (:P). [badidea]Maybe it can only let people in instead of being a spawn point...[/badidea]

8. o_O

o_O Member

Agreed with emp, if you want to spawn infinite infantry in the enemy base, you should have to bring more then 1 apc.

9. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

When, I say when map scaling is out, I don't think apc rushes will be so common anymore, as of the fact for the long time it takes you to drive without airsupport.

10. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

then the air equivalent will be more popular

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Aircraft are planned to be expensive IIRC, upwards of 1k for the airframe alone. Plus, your gonna need an Aircraft Factory, and I honestly can't image that being cheap.

12. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

why would I bother with aircraft if its going to be expensive as fuck

I would rather get rapetanks

13. Jimather

Jimather Member

how is this map scaling thing going to affect present maps ?

How exactly will everything be scaled ? is every present map going to need to be redesigned or modified ?

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Current maps will remain as is. Aircraft will have their own scaled maps. Honestly, Jimather, I expected better of you of all people, you've been around since 2006! :p

15. Sirex

Sirex Member

Networks of missile turrets stops apcs rushes, their should be towers covering all angels in the base and around the base, this makes it impossible to drive in to the base to a spot where no towers are firing at you.

16. Omneh

Omneh Member

I think aircraft could be fitted in quite comfortably in the current maps. (as long as we go for BF2142 style hoverthingies instead of jet fighters)

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

All aircraft are VTOL, but their speeds make the current maps shit.

18. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

yeah, they move really slowly

that's why we need huge maps for them

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

No, they move fast as hell. Solokiller told me the fighter could cross a map based on the entire hammer grid at normal scaling in ~20 seconds.

20. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Good thing they'll be VTOL, or in the current maps you'd need the map to get liftoff, then you crash into the skybox.