If a barracks has an armory near it, spawn players with full ammo.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chris0132', Aug 20, 2008.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Simple enough, it just makes armories more useful. As it stands people have to fill up ammo every time they spawn, which is simply tedious and really doesn't serve any purpose other than possibly in the first few minutes (during which you will likely not have an armory anyway).

If you have a barracks and an armory near each other, why can the game not assume you'll have access to the armory and spawn you with ammo? If you want you could even have a little pipe-like connector which joins the two buildings to show the connection, just put a small hub-like cylinder on top of each and then spawn pipe props in between, the definition of 'near' would be short enough so that it won't look bad and it would add a bit of eye candy, while the gameplay improvement would enhance the experience.

Obviously if you change class you should have to refill ammo, to prevent exploits, but for your initial spawn you should have full ammo, it gets people to the fight sooner, gives comms a reason to drop an armory in base, and generally makes the game more fun.

2. Empty

Empty Member

How big radius?

And I'd suggest that it doesn't fill up people with ammo upgrade.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

It does feel sloppy to be fighting over ammoboxes in an armory with 10 people.

I welcome this idea.
    I also agree with empty.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

While this does sound like a good idea, it should not give full ammo for everything, eg mines.

5. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

how about it automatically gives such an amount of ammo per X second, instead of having to run and press E on the boxes, it automatically gives you the same amount of ammo per X seconds as it does when you press E on it.

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

And stickies perhaps.

btw is there a way to get ammo from a weapon that you can't select cause it's empty? Like when you need mines but you first need full rgp, mortar shells, pistol ammo before it gives you mines? Pressing the weapon number doesn't work.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No bigger than another building.

You normally put them right next to each other, so that sort of radius.

Why not?

I mean people always fill up their ammo anyway, and if they don't it's only because they don't want to wait ages.

A small time delay for grenadiers having full mines won't affect the game will it?

Even if a grenadier has full mines he won't neccesarily be able to use them, the same goes for stickies and ammo upgrade.

The only functional use I know of for ammo in empires anyway is for keeping people with their team, ammo is easy to acquire for any weapon from any ammo supply, which you will always have access to if you are with your team, it's not like empires has a BFG 9000 with really rare ammo that you have to go into a really exposed area to find or something, so ammo isn't really important like it is in a deathmatch game.

If you can acquire ammo, you should be able to do so with minimal effort, and having to go to the armory every spawn doesn't make sense, nor does randomly not giving people ammo for some weapons because it's just adding in unneccesary effort.

The only things you need to stop people doing is using it for unlimited ammo, which is what the 'only on spawn' qualifier is for, and keep it so that the player needs a line of supply to get ammo, which this doesn't alter anyway.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  8. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Good suggestion, hopefully it will stop the armory clusterfucks that happen every once in a while (really bad for NF armory).

9. Lt. Lashley

Lt. Lashley Member

Chris0132' I wan't to kiss you! I wan't this! NOW! Perfect! Genius! :D :cool: :) :D :cool: :)

10. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

It can be adjusted to researches probably to give players more ammo from spawns.

Lets say having an armory while having a radar allows you to research ammo pouches, allowing soldiers to carry 5/10/15% more ammo when they spawn.

Note that it doesn't stack with skills, it just makes you start off with (current%)+(5/10/15%) more ammo.

EDIT: With this in mind, is it possible to research some better infantry armors? Maybe player models can be changed so their body armor looks differently and can have different effects. Maybe researching some sort of shield device will make all player take 3/6/9/12/15% less damage from overall weapons until it is drained.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  11. Theslan

Theslan Member

Just to put another spin to your suggestion on ammo... if you have an armory next to rax, why not make it like the repair pad, where you just 'gain' ammo as you are in the barracks?

This will solve the following issues:
    1) Spawning with max mines/nades (you have to stand in barracks and wait to gain that ammo).
    2) Reclassing yourself to gain back 'default' ammo since now you can actually gain ammo automatically.

As for the player armor, put that in a different topic. That way, it'll be easier to keep track of ideas.

12. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

We need this NAO!

Would make armories much more useful and less redundant (why spend 75 res when you can simply pester an Engy for an ammo box?)

13. Geese Howard

Geese Howard Member

If Armories had a radius in which they automatical reload/give ammo to players within this radius, I think this would make it a stronger offensive and defensive building. I would like to see this change.

14. Empty

Empty Member

I wouldn't, a range of automatic ammo is a bad thing.
    Chris' idea is good, stop trying to overcomplicate it.

15. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

I don't see why its a good idea.

There's no use of actually walking into an armory then, because full ammo means riflemen/gren's/scouts have the freedom of being more adventurous without the fear of staying close to the base so an engi/armory can give them ammo/health. Not only this, but since they can last so long in the front lines that they will probably die before they run out of ammo, which in turn makes no use for actually WALKING INTO the armory since you already spawn with full ammo.

It's not a matter of convenience. It's a matter of game balance. Full ammo means riflemen and grens could go out by themselves, do their objective, solo, not requiring any engineer to drop them ammo whatsoever. The main reason why riflemen aren't raping everything is because they usually run out of ammo without engineer support. Same with grens.

Think about it.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

umm....

To be honest interceptor, I never run out of ammo before I die when i'm alone. Going anywhere alone means you will die without using up even the ammo you start with now, unless you are a gren. Then again, if an enemy can't kill a gren before he unloads all of his ammo, they deserve to be rapped.

I like this because the most annoying thing to me is the lack of a grens ammo, and being dependent upon either having an armory or an engineer near him. I think this game needs to scale back how useful an engineer is.

Currently, in a 16v16, there's usually at least 10 engineers, when in reality there really should only be 3. (squad leaders), maybe 4 if you need a base bitch. People seem way too dependent upon the engineer to do everything. I will welcome the engineering tool nerf that will make speed repairs impossible.

anyhow, before I go on a rant about how overpowered engineers are, that's why i like this idea.

17. Empty

Empty Member

That's because you need engineers if you want something done, you need something built? With a 1:1:1:1 ratio of classes, chances are, you're not gunna have someone who can build you a VF.
    Cry some more.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why do you need to walk into the armory all the time?

An armory still has a use as a building because it's cheap and can make an OK impromptu bunker for troops in the field, and it still has a role as a tank rearmer.

You'll still have cause to drop an armory in the field just as often as you do now, and people will still use those armores as much as they do now.

If you like the idea of walking into armories just because it's walking into an armory then I suggest you think more about the gameplay than idealism, going to the armory every time you spawn isn't fun, why force people to do it? If you really like doing it you can go and sit in the armory for ten seconds after every spawn, gazing longingly at the ammo box which despite your best efforts simply will not give you any more ammo, you know you have full ammo already but you long to feel the tender caress of the ammo box, you wish it was like it used to be where you would open the lid, and then just slightly afterwards you'd hear that sweet clicking sound as you drove home the fresh new clips into your waiting gun. You sigh forlornly as you know it will never be like that again.

Then HSM yells at you for sitting around not doing anything.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Lol. It's true, why should I spend another 10 seconds loading up on ammoz just because i'm a gren? The only class which doesn't really need this is engineer, and that ain't because he's got an ammo box, it's because he's already loaded out with everything that will get him to the next checkpoint.

20. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Ye, and armories will still be of use. Aka they do this, just that they doesn't require you to stay on top of a box. It will also help you push faster.

And it will still heal you, ya know ;) Good idea.