Ideas For Maps (mine pwns)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by turen, Jun 9, 2006.

1. turen

turen Member

---------------Map IDEA------------------------

OKOKOK... now i sudgested this a while ago, but i think i got lost somewhere in the labyrinth that is the empires forums.... the thing i would absolutely lurve to see would be a jungle map for Empires! think about it. Dense foliage surrounding all, a convoy of tanks travelling along a mud road, only to be ambushed by 5 grenadiers hiding in the foliage. i know the canopy wouldnt exactly be the best for building but hey we can work around that.

I was thinking mayb... little areas for building, (mayb grasslands) connected by roads. (it would make the game a lil mor linear but LINEAR Pwns! it would b just like take well defended islands on Empire Earth.
    From my mapping experience, the foliage wouldnt be too hard... just do what Battlefield 1942 did:
    Make one tree, and copy and paste it 1000 times throughout the map rotating it so they dont all look the same, as for frame rates, just change the render distance to something handleable. Chuck in A few Bushes here and there, maybe a dead plane or 2 and terrain, Hey this is sounding pretty decent already!

Anyone tell me if im being tooooo ambitious here and feel free to post ur own map ideas in here! I WOULD MAP FOR EMPIRES BUT A 16MB G-CARD IS LIMITING! grrrrrrrrrr

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

sounds good, go for it.

3. Cyris

Cyris Member

well the trees wouldnt work. belive me i have tried it before, its extreemly fps taxing even with not too many trees. What you would have to do is put in some fog that starts pretty close and fade the trees out as the fog fades out, but then it wouldnt be as good cos there couldnt be particually long range fighting.

4. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

What jungle has long range fighting anyway. I'd think a foggy jungle is pretty suspensefull. As long it wont turn into another lagfest.

5. turen

turen Member

amen.... i think we've all played vietcong ;) ... i couldnt see 3 feet infront of me in that game... fog sounds like the best way to do it as for long range fighting... that would suck in a jungle map neways... in my opinion :D

6. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I could kind of see this happening, kind of like District, except replace all the urban settings with a dense, humid jungle; with paths trailing off to avoid the map getting too bogged down (if it was linear that is).

7. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Make it a island or valley, with the fog being only on the lower terrain, and the canopy obscuring the ground from view from above... would make it interesting...

-Sheepe

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

this would make an awesome map, but only if you could pull it off well with no lag.

9. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I seem to remember reading somewhere that forests wouldn't work, something about loads of overlapping alpha channels confusing the engine or summat. That may have been for HL1 though, I can't remember.

10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I dunno, Source does have a tendency to draw overlapping transparent objects incorrectly... Adam Foster recently bitched about that in an interview, I believe.

I can really see how a forest level could be living hell. But then again, looking at the Episode 2 trailer, Valve is trying for some forest-y areas...

So basically my point is that I really have nothing productive to contribute to the conversation.

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

seconded

12. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

Aint there one map that uses fog and is extremely laggy? I forget the name of it but to me the maps with fog always tend be a bit laggy even though the fog is supposed to reduce the line of sight.

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Fog doens't reduces the line of sight, it simply adds to the atmosphere of the map, worldspawn controls maximum line of sight.

14. Cyris

Cyris Member

well it really depends on how thick you want the forst to be. I know in bg2 there was a smallish forest/wood done that worked quite well but nothing along the scale this would be bg_woodland

15. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

[​IMG]
    This is how empires is meant to be played! :D

17. turen

turen Member

BROCOLLI... U R my NEW GOD! go for it dude... i can gladly say that im behind u 110% ;)

18. turen

turen Member

No wait.... JJ45, U R my new God!! LOL soz about the mixup, brocolli, u have to pay to b my god ;)

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

lolz. Too late, you've sold your soul to me now! :cool:

20. Zairair

Zairair Member

Artillery would just ruin this map...

Unless the top of trees are solid or there's a roof. It would however make a scout's job more important.

I don't know... I'm just seeing an instant turret spam around rez nodes/main base and arty/long range/HE. Maybe it can have a couple bunkers like emp_crossroads does.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006