idea: emp_checkers

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Coffeeburrito, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

So I had this idea, but I'm too busy to learn Hammer. For that reason, I'm just throwing the idea out there to do with what you want.

Theme:
    Series of somewhat remote tropical islands and very limited resources. Due to the limited resources, certain buildings, vehicles, and research aren't in the budget. Infantry must go out into the field and improvise with whatever they can find, mostly wood. WOOD!!!

General ideas:
    - commander map
    - infantry is heavily emphasized, but vehicles play an important role if their team can actually bring them to the front.
    - no static chokepoints. With so many islands and paths, it should be possible for people to go any route they like.
    - islands are of varying heights (still short), with wooden walls and rocks and stuff. This should at least make it difficult for a sniper to find a single vantage point
    - radar (and research) is disabled, possibly the repair pad too.
    - LOTS of buildable objects scattered around (walls, bridges, traps, etc.)
    - consider limiting vehicles to jeeps, but no more than default tanks
    - it was suggested to lay the islands out in a gridlike fashion, and call it emp_checkers. My picture was made before that, and does not reflect such a pattern.
    - the only vehicular path from the starting base islands to the surrounding islands should be buildable wooden bridges. Once they get to other islands, there should be enough shallow water to navigate to the other side, but not enough to make it easy. There will also be more wooden bridges to make it easier to navigate to the other side.

Key concepts (see attached for numbers):
    1>NF base in northwest
    - has huge (genetically modified?) trees that would probably not be very straight to form a natural shield for their tall barracks. It doesn't make an inpenetrable defense though, as there would probably be a few holes here and there.

2>BE base in southeast
    - probably uses cut, straightened, and squared logs for solid but short walls. It's not a 360 degree wall though, so people can still come and go.

3>third refinery island
    - the only refinery apart from the one that each team starts with. It's not vital to winning, but won't hurt. The refinery should probably provide 1/3 to 1/2 of the output of the other refineries.
    - this island is actually bigger than the picture would imply, with a large amount of trees. The tree surround the refinery.
    - there would be a lot of buildable walls here, and a buildable tree fort that can be captured like the towers in slaughtered.
    - no barracks can be built on this island.

4>small landmasses
    - perhaps two men in radius, shallow water in between
    - a couple rocks scattered
    - no buildings, just hiding places

5>medium islands
    - these islands range in sizes; some big enough for a barracks (not many though), and some only big enough for an armory. Some only contain a buildable bunker.

6>the waters!
    - much of it will be deep, but there will be shallow patches. The land slopes lightly so there are no sudden dropoffs.
    - while vehicles should be able to navigate the shallow waters, it definitely won't be easy to gain rushing speed.
    - there will be buildable walls at the edge of most medium island with vehicle access, so they can be at least partially blocked off

Crazy ideas (I'm not a mapper, so I don't know if these are doable)
    >traps
    - a certain recognizable object that is semitransparent when not set, and visible when set.
    - engineer (or other?) builds the object (setting the trap), which activates a trigger, that when tripped, will spring the trap
    - explosive (the standard tripwire grenade tactic)
    - springboard (two trees bent and tied to a platform on the ground, that when tripped, will pull on the platform, launching whatever is on it)
    - pit with spikes (land that breaks when you walk on it, making you fall into a deep pit.
    - traps should be able to be disarmed by unrepairing the trap marker (or maybe shooting/sabotaging it?)

> sharks
    - something that moves along a set path in the deep waters killing infantry :eek:

Attached Files:

• top.jpg
      top.jpg
      File size:
      9.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=2307

this is more of a game type then map tho :)

also this reminds me of the emp_tic tac toe map

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Thread cleaned and reopened. Any more useless spam and I'll just start banning people.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  4. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, but it's still a commander map. It just has a little more focus on infantry combat than most current commander maps.

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

my bad i was talking about my suggestion when i said that