I need some help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DonMegel, Aug 15, 2009.

1. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

If any of you have been to my site you know I'm working on a board game of sorts but need to track the overall game in the PC. This really goes beyond what I know how to do and so I need a program written.

Here is the control site that I had made http://donmegel.com/AA.html or the introduction I wrote here http://donmegel.com

Basically I need a program that allows me to move those icons around that picture. Then export the position data to a file that I can send to the next player and load up into thier copy of the program. I would need to be able to add new icons when they are purchased and then remove them when they are destroyed.

Preferably I would also like a little number toggle beside the icon so I can choose how many are represented but that is not necessary.

If some one would make this little program I would be willing to work on some models for Empires.

2. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

So you basically want a overlay over the map that can be saved and reproduced at any time.

I could make a simple XML dialect and a small parser for that

each round would be a node and it has the units as children

<round>
    <faction name="us"><unit type="ship" position="xx,yy" />
    <unit type="ship" position="xx,yy" />
    <unit type="ship" position="xx,yy" />
    </faction>
    </round>

editing such a file would be easy enough to do by hand, doing the overlay + a bit drag and drop can be done in javascript or some server language. Is that about what you need?

3. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

a web interface would be great but then I would need something to prevent just anyone from editing it, like a password, but I could password protect the whole page. Also a zoom function because at full size you cant see the tiny units.

However, an offline version would be just fine so long as I could get the position data to the next player.

4. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

No one? surly this is a simple program to make and wouldn't take much time.

5. Brutos

Decide what you want, make some little sketches in paint how you imagine it really simple and I will be able to finish it in just some hours. Guessing what you want will double or triple the time I need :D

Edit: Actually add me in steam: brutosshadow. That will be easier then using the forum.

6. 503ace

503ace Member

dude help with empires i herd half the developing team quit but idn if that happened.

7. Empty

Empty Member

He quit too.

8. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I did but now the reason I left is... Not around. I'll add you on steam but I'm in savanna right now so it'll have to be tommorow night.

9. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Need to have:

- Can be an offline application so long as location data can be saved and emailed to the next player to load up in thier program.
    - My map as the back ground. I'll need to change the map so if the program just referenced a jpg that I could swap out that would be greAt. Otherwise perhaps I could alter code or somthin?
    - Be able to drag the icons/units around the map.
    - Be able to add/take away new icons as units are bought and destroyed. Perhaps an x beside the unit to delete
    - Be able to zoom in on map.
    - Change tint of units that have moved or mAke them diffrent somehow. Allow me to reset so units look normal again

Features I would like but are not necessary:

- Web interface. Be able to look at and use the mAp from my website. Save posistional data so the next player can see.
    - Be able to select number of units from a stack. Left click stack once for each unit you want and then click where you want them to go. Right click to drop off single units.
    - Have colored lime or arrow follow a unit from where it came from. Allow me to erase those lines all at once. Really important for air craft.
    - Purchase system that allows player to choose units they want, adding thier price together to a total and then place them on the map. (not a biggie at all)
    - Be able to toggle a diffrent map mode that changes the background map.
    - Log in system that allows a player to move only thier icons/units. Again not a biggie
    - When mouse hovers over icon a little info box apears to tell about the unit. I would need to change the info within

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  10. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Megel, I have a cousin whos studying programming at a university right now who is looking for a side project. If you would like, I could give you his contact information.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I can't code, but if you accept my kidney or something in exchange for some aircraft models, send me a PM! :p

12. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I would say that his time would be better spent on a new building designe then aircraft we cant yet use.

13. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

FAILPLZ

14. Omneh

Omneh Member

Except we can use aircraft... :rolleyes:

(There is functional code in the svn)

15. Kane

Kane Member

Better known as helis

16. Brutos