I give up *WARNING: Rant enclosed*

Discussion in 'General' started by NobleDragon, Jun 13, 2006.

1. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

[Rant]Its official. My faith in humanity has reached a new low thanks to some of the wonderful examples of intelligence certian individuals of the player base display...

I have just exited a game (to write this post and if i had tried to put up with it again, i would have gotten a shotgun and killed myself) on money where immediately a new player got in the cv and proceded to try and fight with it. That was a precious 2-3 minutes wasted, initally i thought we was going to one of the polar res nodes to build, untill he asked how to shoot the cannon of the tank he was in... At this point i told him to get out and i proceded to take command, or at least try to...

Once the CV was safely back in base i put down a ref at the empty node near the starting barracks and told my teammates to build it. Who then promptly turn around and run in the opposite direction of the ref. Thankfully, one of them went to the Northern node group and built the refs there, while i put down (and built) a radar and a armory. While building someone got in the CV and put down a VF and another radar (i did not know about the latter until later) and got out.

Once back in the CV i immediately begin researching upgraded turrets, cause i knew we were going to need them. Once that was done i began biology and went to build some lvl 3 turrets. Only got one down when an enemy (BE) Med tank came in to attack. Turret vs. BE med tank bug went into effect and everything went downhill from there until someone else drove the CV into the abyss.

Now i know your going to say, "It's just one game. Chill." to some degree (civilised and otherwise) and i would agree. Unfortunatly, the game prior to the one described above was lost because the commander built a decent base but failed to research A SINGLE ITEM and proceded to be wiped out by a single arty.

"Ok, so two games were teh sucks for you. It will get better." once agian, no it wont. i hav been playing Empires since 1.02 and about 20% of the games i actually had a good time, both winning and losing. the other 80% have been lost either in the first 5 minutes or was a long and painful road to defeat because of some bullshit reason or another. And no, it was not lamers that did it. At least, not all of the time. The vast majority of "bad games" was due to idiotic comms and/or incompetent teammates. The rest was due to lamers.

Frankly i've had it up to here fighting a losing battle almost every time i start up empires.[/Rant]

2. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I was there, I was the other teams commander... Long story short... soon the NF infantry found themselves swimming in Imperial Medium tanks...

And in the prior game I was also the one to destroy your CV, the com didnt inform the team... and most ristance I found was a single AVF and a Rifleman shooting at me O.o (Im in a light tank with absorbant and collant engine) That game came to a swift end despite them having a good base, destroyed our primary base and having most of the res capped... (we got theirs they got ours...)

There were rougly 3 compleate new players in that game, might a good thing, after all new players :p

The way I see it, the only way to win is to take charge and type in caps... they seem to listen to that ^_^

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  3. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I like to think that the 20% of the time you have a good game overrides the 80%. I, for one, know the satisfaction gained by a well played out match, whether I win or lose, is enough to keep me playing until the next well-played match. If you find yourself despairing next time, and I do hope there is a next time, (as does the rest of the empires community, to be sure) take a deep breath, remember what makes the game fun, and then spend the rest of the round pretending to be "The Dukes of Hazard" with a scout speed jeep. Or try playing Battlegrounds 2. Once that gets boring, come back here. At least keep playing until 1.06 comes out.

And, might I add, the best team is the team that teaches the newbies how to win or at least not suck horribly... because, in the long run, that's what's going to keep this mod alive.

Edit:
    Also, come on man, that kind of negativity really harshes the vibe here in empiresmod.com. Ouch man, way ouch.

4. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

Thanks for the support guys, I really just put this up to let off some steam. Still, its kinda depressing in-between good games to lose because of one stupid reason or another (and the fact that i play competivly (sp?)) and i know teaching is the best way to ensure more good games in the future. Unfortunatly, im not one for patience and all but one of the players were new. Anyways, im still going to play, just needed to vent before my head exploded.

Shinzon: They really destroyed your base? I never saw them near the opposite starting position (unless you reloacted as soon as it started). I think the afv was me and the second time i managed to get a wall behind you, which i think blew you up when you ran into it.

Lobster: I think ill try that next time, if the VF hasnt been blown to bits yet.

5. Jn.

Jn. Member

I think I'm lucky. I've been playing since 1.0 and I don't think I have lost a match due to a ninja, lamer, or ignorant new player. I just try to space out my playing time so the odds of getting some noob hopping in the CV is less.

6. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

NobleDragon, The Buttery Lobster is right about the 20/80 thing.
    When you finally get that chance to be in a server with intelligent people on both sides ( not just yours ) and your commander is very skilled, it turns out to be a very rewarding game because for once...just once everyone is working as a team and solving problems as a team.
    If you have multiple server choices (sometimes theres only one full one) then pick the server where there are alot of people with clan tags in it, since clan members seem to be the best ( most anyway) when it comes to working as a team VS a server of a bunch of lone wolfers. I'm not saying the non clan guys can't do things right ( I'd say 10% do things right :P ) but just saying that if you want to be on a team or in a server where teamwork would be priority #2 ( #1 is keeping the enemy off your turf!) then clan filled servers would be the best.

Personally I'd love to see a rating system that you could rate the other members abillities, this way you knew which ones were team players and which ones were 'commander whores'.

In the end as Lobster said, weigh the fun matches against your bad ones and you will see there is hope :)

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Yeah They took out the veichle fac... But by that time there was already a 2ndry base...

8. sgman

sgman Member

i was in that game when you sayed that you were going to the forums to rant....didnt know you really meant it.

9. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Instead of just hopping into a server filled with random people, make a few friends who you can run off and play a few matches with. Misery loves company. :p

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Its weird I dont have much bad games, I guess its what you try and make out of it tho, I can understand those games are really messed up, but at a certain point in the game when you know your nf team is losing all you can do is giveup and drop yourself a tank.

I give people straight out orders, the noobs usually follow them, some people dont, then I improvise with that and try to help them a little bit, but the worst part is usually when a team is too slow in taking down turrets or vehicles or buildings, at such a moment you just need to give up.
    A hint I can give you tho, is use waypoints, attack orders, direct them from a to b (like give them waypoint to barracks, tell em to go in there, press b etc) drop them turrets and buildings, lots of ppl like to build turrets, communicate a lot, spam and yell whatever, just make your point clear.

When the game ends in a flame debate or still nobody doing shit, just do it yourself, if that doesnt work then well accept your defeat and join the team with people you know next time.

11. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Join my server when it's up, it's a laugh :)
    It's usually on emp_mvalley_rc4a, and we'll be doing stuff like races in APC's and jeeps and arty cannons, or we'll have stunt contests, stuff like that. Really helps to let off steam ;).

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yeah. Sometimes the entire BSID clan switches to NF for a few rounds so we don't just waltz right over the enemy, but get some actual resistance instead of standing next to their cv in 15 minutes.

13. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Thats an amazing ratio of bag games to good games. I guess I'm lucky, 98% of my games are good. My only rant is the lack of ingame Com help so I could always face somewhat skilled coms. If a help thingys temporarily popped up to tell you bits of info at a time, like "Press F2 to go into command view" I think it would stave off at least 15% of bad games.

14. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

OMG, i dont mind if my teams has the intelligent players! Then i know that either an act of God made us lose or some random "nothing you could do about it or even try to prevent" thing. Unfortunately, nearly every game that my team has lost it was because the collective intelligence (not includeding me of course :D ) of team was <50. Maybe thats what i get for hitting the auto assign button when i join :confused:

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Calm your anger NobleDragon that will lead to the dark side

*Khhhhhhh AHhhhhhhh Khhhhhh*

16. zachtos

zachtos Member

I've dealt with noobs in NS for years and years now. This will forever be an ongoing problem in every online game. You basically have to get used to it. It does get better as the player base grows and more servers arrive. Eventually you will play at a few well known servers with players you know can play properly. My only suggestions are warn the comm that if he doesnt know how to comm, go read the book and come back or he will be ejected. Eject does work, and I have ejected my fair share of comms. It's a shame it's still quite boring to command this game compared to NS.

*My heart never gets beating real fast commanding in EMP like it does sometimes in NS.

17. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

So what else is new?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The force will free me.

1 million internets to anyone that can tell me what that is.

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Thats the Sith code

I got it mixed up with the 1984 (The book)

19. Revolver

Revolver Member

Clans REALLY help the gameplay experience. It makes a world of a difference. I actually am afraid to play in the pub servers now because of stuff like that, Noble. Though, I definatly know Shinzon's been in the On|E server, I think I recognize your tag too.

But yeah, if the server doesn't have good administration (ie, kicking idiots who drive the CV over the edge in money) and banning griefers, it really can kill the game.

20. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I agree. I com becuase I like winning, but I'm tempted alot to get out of my com tank and use my 733T upgrades and blow %^& up. Waiting for the research to get done, and targeting enemys for your chaps on the ground, although SO EXCITING!!! does get a little boring after a while. Hopefully it'll change if they are able to implement npc's. Buy some commander controlled npc infantry and bring the heat to those fracking imperials :cool: