I disagree with the "for official servers only" rule of the ban hammer forum

Discussion in 'General' started by Private Sandbag, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I disagree with the "for official servers only" rule of this section of the forum.

If we have to go to every single individual forum or email of every single server owner just to get people banned

1) It will not happen
    2) It will not help empires.

I see absolutely no reason why this should not be the central spot for reporting griefers from ANY server. just because they strike mittoes on tuesday, doesn't mean they won't strike the official on thursday.

A griefer banned on one server still has dozens more to terrorise. we can't deal with them by waiting for them to grief on every server, and expecting each time there to be proof enough to ban them each time.

What is more, this could be a place that all server owners come to to get info on new griefers. This could be a really useful tool.

It's difficult enough to get these people banned. lets not make it any tougher. until we get an empires blacklist database, this should be the center for all bans across empires.

2. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Agreed. And if the griefer wants a second chance, they can tell the server admin to unban them.

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Yep; though the actual ban, wouldnt happen by the official administration; the individual server operators will take ques from this...

Centralization is usualy best...

4. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I agree.

5. Melee

Melee Member

I agree, I have had to register with loadsa forums cos im sick of griefers ruining games every day, also taking screenies etc is getting ridiculous, but IF we want these cretins removed its gotta be done.
    http://mittoes.com/index.php?topic=60.0
    http://www.clan-km.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,69/func,view/id,47205/catid,34/
    http://www.clan-km.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,69/func,view/id,47207/catid,34/
    http://mittoes.com/index.php?topic=45.0

Its getting so you spend more time watching your own team cos of griefers than playing teh game.......................

6. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

My argument earlier:

7. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

It used to be a section for griefers in general, so that they may be banned from Empires permanantly. It was changed when people complained of hardcoded bans being too extreme.

8. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

and as you said before, bring up it up - so here it is...

9. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Surprisingly enough, I figured that much on my own...

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Most threads in the ban hammer just stir up more trouble.

I personally am not in favor of the ban hammer becoming a middleground for flaming and bitching going back and forth. Most cases are minor and should be resolved with the admins of the server it happened on. It's much more convenient for the server admins and keeps this forum clean. I think it would be better if this forum was ment for official servers only and if someone believes a certain griefer has gone beyond being disruptive and deserves a Hardcoded ban, he can come to these forums and repost the evidence.

Anyone who has read the changelog will know that a hardcoded ban is a possibility, the first place they will come to present their case should be either these forums or the contact e-mail. Either one is good.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  11. Geese Howard

Geese Howard Member

I honestly think the best solution for griefers is more admins that can be on a vary amount of time.

What I would do, if I cared. Would take a demo of someone griefing on whatever server, post about them griefing, and request that admins be on a specific time(the time you tend to play).

12. BoF

BoF Member

There's the problem again. Admins do not always have the time, patience, or opportunity to jump into the game and just sit there and moderate the masses. Though it would be nice, it just wouldn't work because then admins couldn't spare a small amount of time enjoying themselves on the side.

Now before I do a jumpstart, I have to ask: On a technical scale, how does the GBS work?

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

To admin a server doesn't mean you can't play. Only that if you have an admin on one team, then the other team is more difficult to watch, as you cannot see what they are doing and who they are doing it with. or team chat for that matter.

Anyhow, I should also point out the best way to bring something to the attention of administrators is to politely say in non caps "So and so is trying to grief our com, can anyone do anything?" or something like that. Screaming on the mic or spamming the chat with caps will not help your cause, because at that point you are just as annoying as the greifer.

14. balls2walls

balls2walls Member

have fun finding people to play the game then. :)

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

You could use a customized version of SourceBans, with a custom version of the plugin so no one can add bans from the server. Have it use a MySQL account that only has select privileges, and only distribute a binary so that someone doesn't try to hack the account.

Then only Empiresmod people would have access to add bans from the web interface.