I can't play Empires anymore

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sonecha, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

I did not play Empires for a few days, and when I were going to scrim I noticed something odd. My computer crashes within a few seconds as soon I enter a server.

I have never experienced something like this before, and I haven't noticed any changes other than this. The first seconds when joining everything is fine, except for losing connection to all USB-devices for a slight second, but after a few seconds the game freezes for a few seconds a time and the computer starts to make some weird sounds and if I don't turn off the application in a second or so the whole computer crashes and forces me to cut the power. I think it is the hard disk, but I'm actually unsure.

I have tried to reinstall empires but nothing happend. Maybe I should try to formate the computer but I'm lazy.

Oh, also my first thread, I think. Awesome.

2. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Can't you just pick up a new hard drive? If it's making bad sounds, it's likely to die soon anyway.

Don't forget to back up your documents

3. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

Well as I said, I'm not even sure if it's the problem. Perhaps I should try to formate it first but it would also mean that I would have to back up my files which I am just too lazy to do. I just want to play Empires!

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Backup NOW. Data recovery costs thousands of dollars. They have to use a sterile environment to transfer your HDD platters to a new drive of the same model. God, its not cheap.

5. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

Maybe this is a good reason to back up my files, however I will try to formate it first before purchasing a new HD.

The task that lies before me now is really indescribable. I don't even know where to start. God grant me power.

6. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

This doesn't sound like an empires problem, more like your HD is dieing.

7. communism

communism poof

Smelly sonecha, your stench got all up in your HD and clogged it with little stink crystals

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

or you could buy a harddrive of the same type and do it yourself

the new harddrive will only survive jus long enough to calmly transfer your data to yet another hard drive, but by means of software (because you didn't close it up sterile again), but when you need your data, you need your data...

that is, if the lazer head is the problem, its the first thing to break so it generally is

9. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i had the same problem with 2.0-2.12, or something somewhat similar. I only crashed out of the game (not complete crash, thank god) when i saw a tank. Something about the vehicles in Empires made my computer explode. It's not something similar to this, is it?

10. Melee

Melee Member

even if a hard disc is dying you used to be able to keep it going for a while by using fdisc. at the c prompt u could type fdisc and set it mark bad clusters , then format it and carry on using it .

Have you checked for viruses recently? i had a bad virus which stopped me playing steam games and kept self installing every day, it would freeze the comp for a few seconds as if gathering data, it took 3 diff virus killers to get rid , i downloaded comodo free if ur interested..
    If everything else works in windows except steam stuff try it. sounds similar to what i had... sounds daft but seriously it crashed empires and half life every time?

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I'm talking about when the drive dies. You need a sterile, maybe even vacuum, environment to do this. A single particle on a HDD platter is enough to make it useless.

12. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Or, you can use SpinRite!

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

SpinRite is diagnostics, not recovery :\

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

*giggles* ^^

i think you are over reacting, i did it 3 times already, and it worked twice

not saying you will get a 100% working hdd out of this, but it should buy you enough time to save the data to another computer until the disks start oxidation or something

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

You opened a hard drive and removed the disc platters and transferred them to another identical drive? Just in case the language barrier is in the way, this is a HDD platter.

16. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

I'm not going to answear any questions asked in this thread, simply because my computer ... well... it's not alive anymore. I cannot say if the HD is working or not, because my power supply died, and I noticed that several fans wasn't working as they should. I have ordered new fans and power supply, then I will have to see if I can get the HD to work.

It's getting more expensive than I wanted. D:

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

From where do you make that post? With your zombie computer? D:

18. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

I was granted access of my fathers computers for 30 min or so. He saw the pain in my eyes.

19. anthonyjh

anthonyjh Member

I'm having the same problem. Not having problems with anything else, just Empires.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009