I am done with this mod

Discussion in 'General' started by Killerbuzzz, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killerbuzzz

Killerbuzzz Member

At least for a long while

There is no way to effectively play a complete game without some asshat ruining it for everyone.

There are never any Admins on and there are only like 2 servers with ppl playing on them at any given time TOPS. ( and this is with all the filters off)

I REALLY enjoyed this game when it first came out. But with each update it gets less enjoyable and loses a little bit of what made it unique to begin with.

I don't have much time to play as it is with work the few times I do sit down to enjoy it .....inevitably get ruined by some tool wall/floor/roof hacking and/or driving over me with our own vehicles (TK). This causes frustration an small amount of anger...... none of which I need when trying to play a game that was meant to be FUN.

What's the point

My advice would be to make some MODs/admin that are in these damn servers more frequently. At least try FFS. And stop changing the game so much with each update.... This game is nothing like the it was in 1.01-1.02 (yah know .... when it was fun regardless of the bugs)

finally, I understand that not many will care about my opinion on this, and I understand that opinions are like buttholes.......but maybe just maybe others agree with some of what I said. And this game needs all the players it can get right now

I won't let the doorknob hit my ass on the way out

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

We appreciate the time you did take to help us beta test the mod and improve it and any constructive criticism you may have given along the way. Our goal is not to accumulate a large userbase and attain as many players as we possibly can. Our goal is to get feedback from those who do play so that when we are finished with our beta phase, we can successfully accumulate a large userbase. That is why there are changes with each release, and why there will continue to be changes with each release.

3. zachtos

zachtos Member

I feel the sameway about players ruining the beta test. I have had VERY VERY FEW good games. Hardly anyone knows how to play and it's usually way to easy for me to win when commanding since the other commander is always shitty and doesnt know how to counter anything. The only problems w/ the mod is the player base... so many players are all new and no one reads the manual. I try to give enough suggestions to keep the game fun while still being balanced, but alot of the balancing will probably change hardcore once airplanes arrive (if they can be implemented successfully). The exploits will start all over again though.

We need a tuturial map for the final version and some sort of commander nomination system before this exits beta.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

i'd agree with the mod statement, they really are needed. it sucks that players require babysitting, but without this, it opens things up to way too much bs.

5. Jimather

Jimather Member

i have to say i sympathise with killerbuzz. i know exactly where he is coming from and have felt the same way myself a few times.

but i soldier on becuase i do still have fun games and i want to help get this mod as perfect as it can be. mainly by being one more person on the servers, discussing ideas and occasionally making bad maps. i have considered helping out with the sounds as i have the knowledge to do it but like most men i suppose i am afraid of commitment.

6. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I can see where he's coming from. I, however, have fun, most of the time, because I can mostly ignore the asshats. However, there are quite a few of them, and most people do need to rtfm. I feel confident a tutorial and a stronger admin presence will solve BOTH these problems, though, and I also feel confident that these two solutions will be implemented in time. Therefore, it's an issue, but I'm not too concerned about it.

7. Chahk

Chahk Member

How is that different from any other mod out there?

You do know that this mod is still in Beta stage, don't you? We have a privilige of helping the devs find the bugs and exploits. If you are incapable of doing that than by all means take a break until the mod is released.

You cannot possibly be upset at the developers for idiots who intentionally try to ruin other people's gaming experience. You should really complain to the server owners about their lack of admin presence. Either that or host a server of your own and maintain it 24/7.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well, as long as the mod is in a beta stage it's pretty much useless to make strategy guides and long manuals. 2 - 3 patches later most of the gameplay will have changed and every strategy guide needs to be adjusted.
    And if there are many newbies, that only means the mod keeps attracting people, even in beta stage.
    Once (maybe in a year) empires gets out of beta and publicity hopefully attracts a lot of people, we'll have servers with moderators for sure. Strategy guides can then be perfected just like the manual. A tutorial map can be used like said before and everything will slowly turn out fine.

For now, players are needed to help with the mod, later players are wanted so they can enjoy the mod, that's how I see it.

9. Thor

Thor Member

I'm agreeing with all of the above posters. We have the privledge to test and help the developers, not just have fun.

However, something does need to be done about the lack of admins. Even on the official servers, no moderators/admins...

10. x3x3non

x3x3non Member

The mod is great, but me having fun with the game depends too much on the actions of other players. In this game if a guy decides to be an asshat, he has plenty of ways to be one.

Like if in the beginning of the map noone is an engineer and noone is moving out to get res points (instead there are 5 rifleman building an armory at snails pace). At that point i know this map will take 20-25 minutes and i know we will most likely lose. It kinda takes away motivation.

What this game lacks is admins. Why are there never admins on? I thought especially with small mods there is a small but strong community.

I kinda feel like the crowd has seperated from most people being somewhat experienced to people that are good but elitist asshats, and really new inexperienced people (or people who aren't new, but still won't do anyhting useful for the team)

11. Malagon

Malagon Member

I dont think Killerbuzz was complaining about changes per se but the extent of each change. In other words instead of a small change in the resource gather rate we got a huge drop instead of a small one to see how it affected the game. We have had lots of changes like this. I feel at times like I am playing EQ 1 where the devs would make huge nerfs then bump things back up. That may not be what he meant but its the way I took it.

I hope everyone is right about once the game is out of the beta stage the mod gets a flood of people but... we have already had lots of floods since release and the pop just gets smaller and smaller and of those who left most probably wont be back if my experience with BF 42 mods is any indication.

I like this mod but I also can very much relate to what Killerbuzz was talking about.

12. steven84

steven84 Member

Being a admin in a server is not allways easy as you have to monitor ppls activitys eather using noclip or spectate mode and when another persion moans about another you cant just kick them based on it you need to witness evedence and stuff.

I used to host a server for GM (garrys mod) i had to baby sit all the players that entered the server and watch them like a hawk- can get furstrateing and boring.i hate garrys mod now i guess its being a admin too long did it and being around so many "mingebags"

Steve

13. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I monitor the server chat whenever I am home. I do however need to sleep, attend class and give my girlfriend some attention once in a while.

14. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Psht. Sleep is for the weak.

15. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

agreed its 6:38 over here XD

16. sinoth

sinoth Member

Sorry, but a bad team WILL lose to a better team. Yeah, it sucks when you can tell your team doesn't know whats going on and you can't do much about it. Public servers have always been like this though, for any game or mod. There simply isn't a fix for this problem other than turning the game into a FFA deathmatch. If your team sucks, that just means you have to play better ;)

As for wishing the patches weren't so extreme... you do remember this is a beta right? Usually people who like the `old days` of 1.01 are testing the game for the wrong reason. Adaptation is the key between patches. IMO, each patch brings interesting discussion and a bit of compleness to the mod. Keep it up...

17. Silk

Silk Mapper

Sinoth is right you know.
    Both his statements are true.

I don't play as much as I did with the release, but I don't think it has something to do with the other players. If I'm in a bad team I just have to play better myself. If we lose ... so what, there is a 50% chance you'll lose, so how can I possibly care if we do.
    For me, the warm weather last weeks and the upcoming projects and finals are the main reason I play less. That's all. Even a good mod can't keep me from enjoying the sun. It can keep me from working for school though, and I'm working on that problem.

But I promise, once this semester is done I should have time enough to play a lot again. I've got a 13 weeks holiday ahead of me, I'm only gonna work 4 weeks and I'm on vacation for 2 weeks, so that still leaves 7 weeks in which I haven't got anything to do at all. I'll be kicking your asses those weeks ;)

18. Atlas

Atlas Member

The difference between this and other mods, is that to actually be fun you have to work as a team and you depend highly on your team mates. If no one gathers resources other than yourself, you can't use any tanks and will be out-tech'd, if you are a rifleman or grenadier out in the front and no engineer will fix you up or give you ammo you won't be able to do as much damage, if you rush off in a vehicle alone because nobody is smart enough to rush with you or wait for you then you'll just get blown up in time, if you have a shitty commander you are screwed no matter what you do, and as commander, if you have guys that don't work as a team it doesn't matter what you tell them.

In other mods like say, BG, dod, CS, etc. all you have to do is pick up a gun and shoot people/complete objectives. It isn't required to have good teamwork there to have fun and the only teamwork that exists there is fighting together, pretty simple to do in the small maps found in many of those mods.

So, when we play Empires, we expect other people to be helpful, but grow desperate when that fucking n00b engy won't answer our calls for health as it hovers at around 4% and he crouches 4 feet from us smg sniping a turret.

When you depend a lot on other players, it gets frustrating when they don't care or simply don't know.

19. Ganks

Ganks Banned

this being beta is all fine and good but I guess I must just expect more out of certain people. Ive had some good times but there are a few people, like psy and scout to name a few, who happens to be a tester btw, that I truly wish were strangled in their crib and, beta or no beta, ruin it for the rest of us.

I agree 100%. It is a bit beyond the problems of the average online game.

That doesnt mean im going to quit though. If quitting is your thing then whatever. all im saying is that the people who are truly a problem dont require another pair of eyes to notice how problematic they are. Even reserve admins, i guess, would spot it asap... but what the hell do I know anyway.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  20. Chahk

Chahk Member

We're not talking about people who play this game as a Rambo, we're talking about players who intentionally go out of their way to ruin other people's gaming experience by teamkilling, driving CV off the cliff on purpose, and other assinine things they like to do to get their kicks. These types exist in every mod, and there is only so much the Devs can do to prevent such behaviour. The rest is up to the community to deal with them.

I see. So basically what you are saying is that the other mods are fun because teamwork doesn't exist there, and Empires is frustrating because too many folks are playing this mod like they do in CS/DoD/BG. Why again are you mad at the devs for this? Do you want them to take teamwork out and make this game into another CS clone?

Perhaps if instead of bitching and moaning others who consider themselves "l337" would actually help the newbs out and showed them the ropes, this wouldn't be such a problem. When they ask how to upgrade their turrets, tell them. Show them how to join a squad and get their first skill instead of going "omglolwtfbbq RTFM!!1!shiftone."

Last edited: May 20, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.