How to shot web. -or- Let's Do: Custom sound replacement.

Discussion in 'Art' started by BitterJesus, Feb 28, 2009.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I'm pretty sure that we've all heard the win/lose song (when your team either wins or loses), and as nice as it is, it gets boring and repetitive after a while.

Now, I know that a lot of you can do this, but for some reason every empires video I've ever seen never played custom music in the background.

1.Navigate to your Empires folder (Should be located at steamapps\SourceMods\Empires) and look up sound -> common -> music. (The whole thing should look something like [C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires\sound\common\music]

2. Back up the "win" and "lose" sound files somewhere outside of the empires folder (back up = copy and paste it somewhere so in case something goes wrong by any chance, you won't have to reinstall the game to get the sound files again)

3. Now, find the sound files that you want to replace the default sound files with.

4. Rename the win and lose game sounds to "win" and "lose" respectively (without the "s of course).

5. It'll tell you that you cannot do that because a file like that already exists.
    Delete the "win" and "lose" files (BACK THEM UP BEFORE THAT) from the music directory.

6. Place the soundfiles that you want to hear into the \music folder, that should be named "win" and "lose" by then.

7. Enjoy.

8. ???

9. Deficit

Also, these are the sound files that I use: (you'll recognize them from Half Life 2 throughout the game).

http://www.2shared.com/file/4971550/8988c727/empires.html

EDIT: How the hell is this art?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  2. Ytpm3

Ytpm3 Banned

Also. For those of you who are sick of your tracks not playing if you reconnect, or just want more variety than 3 songs, or would like each map to have it's own theme song, theres another way to add music.

1. Go to your empires folder.

2. Go to your sound folder, and paste in as many songs as you like, in any directory, just remember the path. Go to the URL listed above and DELETE or MOVE the music tracks standard to empires (or whatever you've replaced them with)

3. Go to empires/cfg/maps and open up the cfg of the map you wish to give a unique song to. (if there isn't one listed, create it) I've ripped the starship troopers theme and I'm going to use it on emp_cyclopean. I saved the track in sound/common/music/starship_troopers.mp3. So I open up emp_cyclopean.cfg, and add this line to the top of the file. "play common/music/starship_troopers.mp3 //play some music"
    As you can see, the root folder is your sound folder. Simply paste in your URL, and save the cfg file.

4. Run empires, load cyclopean, enjoy your music.

The downsides to this, is that you will unfortunately have no music on any maps that have not had an individual cfg file made for them. Win/Lose music doesn't necessarily have to be deleted either, so this is compatible with the above tutorial.

3. Bass

Bass Member

Actually, I did this for my intro song when booting up Empires, and now nothing plays. It worked in 2.12, don't know why it won't in 2.22.

So when looking at the server list, nothing but quiet.

4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

What file format is the sound? It needs to be a .wav with settings matching the source files. This isn't a simple rename and it works, it is literally replacement. You wouldn't take a nuclear engineer of his post and put in an untrained physicist, would you?