How to prevent people ruining the game?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Rexz, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Rexz

Rexz Member

Alrighty guys, we really need to come up of ways to prevent people messing up the game by being stupid and such.

Today, there was a perfectly good match going on until in mid game, a command vehicle went under water. Apperently some bastard though that was funny, but it's really not, especially when your team is having an upper advantage.

That happen more than once, not just today. In the past there are stupid commanders that ruin the game by suiciding with the CV, it just ruin the whole game...

And what about engineers that think it's funny to block a path by building walls there? Someone blocked the whole team inside an area by building a wall that block the entrance/exit causing the whole team to lose.

Also people that mass spawn vehicles or block barrack with wall too...

Is there anyway to prevent these kinda stuff from happening? A vote kick follow by a note for an investigation (to IP/account ban) by the server's admin would be a nice start.

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

find a clan server with clan members in it and you wont see griefers anymore

3. Rexz

Rexz Member

I really think it's a part of every online game out there. Once in awhile there will be some jackass who's there to ruin your game. >.<

4. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Solution to 1: ULTRABAN or just dont vote for him.

Solution to 2: ULTRABAN?

Solution to 3: Lock Vehicle station, but since that's what they want, ULTRABAN

5. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i really dont think 'find a better server' is a good long term solution. I file this suggestion under the 'idiot-proofing' that needs to happen to many aspects of the game.

For the commander, the best i can think of, and really the only fair thing, is not get out of the cv. Voting was put in place to at least partially limit griefing, other then that.

I have suggested ways to give the commander easier control over locking the vf to prevent waisted tanks, i think it should be considered--like being able to restrict certain specific chassis, for example. I also believe that the commander should be able to recycle infantry placed walls, but i have no idea if that is or ever will be feasible. (Res for them? different units? who knows? i can't code.)

ONCE, and only once krenzo mentioned wanting to make it so blockage is automatically booted out of the VF if you build, and I've been paraphrasing that quote all over the forums ever since... we'll see what he decides to do about that, in the meantime, I'm crossing my fingers.

6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Commanders can recycle player built walls.

7. coach

coach Member

Clan controlled servers are the way to go. I know that we have been doing some cleaning out of wankers over here in OZ.

8. zergl

zergl Member

CV being suicided by some moron: Make sure to vote the right person in (or vote the wrong person out) and have him STAY INSIDE.

Wall spam: Annoying, yes. But I haven't seen that as a form of griefing yet. Only newbie players and/or comms that almost completely wall in the base.

About the VF spam: If the comm can't trust his team he should be able to individually blacklist dumbfucks (or whitelist good players after blacklisting all, depending on what's faster ;)).
    The way it currently works (complete blacklist, I think; I didn't comm yet) is good, but not perfect. People have different preferences on vehicle loadout and the comm should have better things to do than reply to "I need a tank with this weapon config, that armor and this engine" requests. One could of course use the Repair station, but there's not always one nearby and it takes time.
    Also make the VF entrance one-way (so griefers can't drive in with ninja'ed vehicles) and implement the much-cited push-out mechanism.

9. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yeah, I try to make sure that nobody else is around when I get out to build. Everyone is like, OMG WE HAV NO COMM WER ALL GUN DIE!

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Am I the only person that hasn't encountered wall spam?

11. Rexz

Rexz Member

I just came up with a pretty neat idea for Commander.

Maybe have an option to set a number/amount of resource. Then if the resource points fall lower than that, then players can't built more vehicles, have to wait for more resource point.

This could be a great way to save resource for emergency situation and such. O.o

12. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

shows how much i know :headshot:

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

if your new, the "Empires Training Server - Noobs Welcome" is a good place. thats heavily administrated.

Krenzo, can you please add the ability to recycle griefers?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  14. nhammen

nhammen Member

hmmm... a solution to griefers that I wish would work:

Step 1. Upon detection of a griefer, make them download a cheat program
    Step 2. Report griefer to steambans, VAC, etc... for having a cheat program
    Step 3. ???
    Step 4. Profit

15. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

It never will. The only time a player can recieve files from a server is when the client is about to load a map, and the files are determined by mapname.res, which means every player on the server will get it. I also think cheats require at least one existing file to be modified for them to work, and the ingame downloader never replaces files.

16. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Commanders should never be out of the CV long enough to let it be stolen by any team member.

Commanders can recycle walls built by engineers

Commanders can lock vehicle factories so only he can build vehicles for his team.

There's always gonna be people who think being an arse is fun so you're best sticking with well admined servers.