How to play/drive something tutorial videos

Discussion in 'General' started by -=SIP=-, Jan 22, 2010.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Empires is a game, where you need a lot of time until you really know everything.
    And new players often fail at the basics (on my last game 3 very new players took about 5 minutes to take down an ungarded MG turret and refiniery :headshot:)

So why not make tutorial videos like this one for TF2 (How to play as scout):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRSW0Y1SgoA

For empires we would need:
    -How to play as engineer.
    -How to play as rifleman.
    -How to play as grenadier.
    -How to play as scout.
    -How to play as squad leader.
    -How to play as commander.
    -How to drive a small vehicle/tank (Jeep, APC, LT/AFV).
    -How to drive a large tank (Medium, Heavy, Arty).

Video length should not exceed 5 minutes and the videos should be posted on Youtube.

Of course this would only make sense, if someone can guarantee that good videos will also be published on www.empiresmod.com. (How has write access?)

We can also use screenshots of the movies to have some new map loading screens. For example an engineer with an ammo crate behind a wall and a turret next to an enemy barracks.

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I'd like to help

I can make demos but I'm not the best at video editing

5. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

these things get done when someone just does it. not when you sit about on the forum, when you just go and do it yourself on a public server.

you don't need voice actors. you don't need staged cutscenes where the engineer wiggles his head. just record some footage, add text, add music.

6. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

One of the goals for a steamworks release is to have a tutorial system in place... I have gone over a few details regarding videos vs tutorial map, at this point nothing is certain... however, I believe given the emphasis on team play Empires has, a tutorial map would be only a glimpse into gameplay (for example, how do you walk a player through giving targets when they are in a server of 1/1). Tutorial videos built in to the game could be rather nice, and with proper scripts and volunteers gameplay concepts could be displayed rather cleanly.

HSM should be the voice actor though, and he should rage the whole thing so noobs can be ready for what a real game feels like.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

QFT ... dont sit on your fat asses and keep suggesting shit - just do it :rolleyes:

generally, if you suggestion starts with "what if someone" dont bother suggesting ... u might ask for help, but u cant expect others to do work for you (unless you pay them ofc). if someone really would be willingly to do all that in his sparetime, dont you think he would have done it already? :eek:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  8. Empty

Empty Member

How to play tank
    W+M1

9. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Eh, I tried my best.

Ok, my 2nd best, but still I tried.

EDIT: I might revive the effort if people generate interest.

10. Empty

Empty Member

I did write up a script on how to play the grenadier as a video.
    Duno where it is.

11. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I think the other tutorial project hasn't achieved its goal because it was much too complected.

My idea is, that someone just plays some normal games and record this. Then just cut these videos and add some messages. Sound can be replaced by some music.

I will try to make this by my own and will maybe post some hints for recording and video editing.

And publishing the results on www.empiresmod.com and/or www.empireslearningcentre.com should also be feasible.