How to Make Nukes More Enjoyable and Less Unbalanced

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Destroyer224, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Okay, i've had this idea cooking for a while now ever since i've been seeing how un-fun nukes have become as the late-game slaughter spam weapon. Even in tanks, the nukes is so terribly unfun to use and be used against, mostly due to the overheating on both sides. What I suggest is to make the nuke more a part of a tank's arsenal rather than THE tank's arsenal. Just like upgraded MLs+Railgun or HEMG+HE cannon work together.

In order to accomplish this, I suggest toning down the heat that is generated for both sides. The driver who shot the nuke should get maybe 60% heat added to his total, and the recipiant should get 50% heat. But one thing: The heat absorbed by the opposing tank is directly relative to how close the nuke hit to him. If it hit 30 feet to his left on the canyon wall, he gets maybe 10% heat added. If it's a direct hit then e gets the full 50% heat added, but it's still less than what the driver gets from firing it. This would also mean that the driver of the tank who fired the nuke would be penalized if he bum rushes the enemy tank to score a direct hit. He will be in the eplosion radius, so he also gets MORE heat added onto his 60% possibly overheating him while the enemy still has heat left to kill him.

I also suggest the same damage reduction as the distance from the explosion increases. So many times do I find myself frantically sprinting away from a nuke as an infantry to get 50 feet away and still be inta-gibbed by the edge of the explosion radius. Increase the speed at which the nuke travels slightly to compensate for this, but it would mean that nukes would lose their noob-friendly click somewhere around the enemy and you know it will still hurt and overheat them. Finally, lower the weight a little bit and decrease damage slightly overall to encourage tanks to get HE+Nuke, or Nukes+UML (For an NF heavy) instead of purely nukes. Don't lower the weight so much that a tank can fit a nuke and cannon without still sacrificing some armor like they currently have to do to fit even one nuke.

In other words, make the nuke more a tactical weapon that is used as just anther part of your tank weapon arsenal instead of the OMG NUKEZ!!1! loner weapon it currently is. Does anyone remember when Bio MLs owned everything in sight? Now they're toned down and work perfectly in conjunction, just as I'd like to see nukes do. Don't get me wrong, they would still be something to be feared, but not completely unbalanced like it is. Comments welcome.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  2. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

No but i remember the time Bio MG was owning everything, that was great ;).
    (Version 1.02)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  3. Goose

Goose Member

Omg that was the worst Brutus. APC's would chew through heavy tanks.

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I agree with the less heat thing a lot... the other ideas make it less like a superweapon as it currently is and i'm not sure about that... i like the idea of the blast radius damage decrease stuff though

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Well it is true that it IS a super weapon but, when one imagines a nuke thats exactly what you imagine, NO? It takes ALOT of cash to get to nukes. If you have the time and money to get to nukes chances are you either are already at end game or have paper tanks and hardly anything else, in which point your gana get owned.

I do like changing the damage N heat to something distance related all tho I am against changing the heat issued to the user. If you fire that Monster, you better have good aim.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

There's only 1 problem: when nuke hits area near you get stalled and when it hits you directly get 50 heat. Something's wrong.

EDIT: I was drunk or something.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  7. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

What do you mean Mootant?

8. Silvas

Silvas Member

I think they already have what you are talking about destroyer... if you bum rush with a nuke right now, you will instantly overheat and shut down. I'm pretty sure that's what Mootant is talking about as well. I think the damage area and heat area are a good ideas, but leave everything else the way it is. Nukes are meant to be a super weapon, when you hit with them.... Just out of curiosity, do nukes give off radiation? It would be nice if they contaminated areas and vehicles so infantry would start losing small amounts of health when they went in the area. Of course, that would suck server CPU power like no other on maps like emp_money, but it might be a nice addition.

9. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

To me, I'm having a nice, fair game, cruising along in my BE Heavy having a grand old time, then someone whips out a nuke, overheats both of us, and makes a 15 second fight go on till he runs out of ammo and I missile spam him after a few minutes. It's not a game ender, it's a device that makes everything take longer, makes playing more painful on both sides, and has the unique ability to bring tank fights to a screaming halt until i get out, walk over to the tank, and slap the guy for ruining an otherwise fun battle with nukes. Typically, me versus a nuke tank, I win, but after a painful dance of 4 ineffective rockets followed by my bio misile/MG spam.

Nukes need to be more than just a beefy plasma missile that almost kills everything but doesnt.

10. Silvas

Silvas Member

This is true, I like my Rails and and Bio ML much more than nuke, but you gotta give it to nukes that they have serious turret destruction power...

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

M00tant means the nuke is bugged, it's not supposed to overheat the enemy or yourself.
    It does 70 heat and 50 heat to target, yet the splash damage somehow always gets the enemy fully overheated and at a direct hit it will give the 50 heat its intended to give (which is half of the heat a tank can take)

12. Vaun

Vaun Member

I like the idea, i hate how 1 heavy tank blows up a nuke and everything in a base is fail, then they rush in and kill everything. they could add an anti-radiation armor so it does less heat and damage to tanks., but it would be nice if they had nuke-like effects (radiation-just do burn dmg to those in the rad zone, shockwave-flips small vehicles, forces infantry away from the impact zone, probably killing them, emp-disables effected vehicles for a short time)