How do I install textures?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Mr Pling, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Mr Pling

Mr Pling Member

Looking everywhere and I'm visiting here, I suppose.

So yeah, self-explanitory, how do I install these vtf's? Where does I putted dem cap'n? :p

2. Mr Pling

Mr Pling Member

Come on guys, please?

3. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

The materials folder in empires. make sure the vmt's destination line is accurate and suggest making your own folder.

To edit the vmt's use VTFEDIT, just google it, it's apart of nem's tools.

4. Mr Pling

Mr Pling Member

I mean for hammer, hence why this is in Mapping.
    I don't want to start mapping for Empires right now as I don't have my shit together, but I would like to install a couple of custom textures for a map I'm trying to edit and fix.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make a folder inside the material folders of the game with your name (believe me it has a good purpose besides "leaving your stamp", finding problems for example)

then put your textures in there make sure you have at the least the VTF and the VMT file of each texture (one is the file that contains the "drawing" of the texture, the other one decides how big it is, if it can be mixed with another texture and other information)

it is possible your texture has more files, like a bumpmapping cover or what ever but its not needed to have these

then if you did all the above correct hammer will find the files him/herself (is hammer girl or boy?) and display them with the other textures in the texture browser

then if you compile, the links of the textures are baked into the map, but they have to be really there to show the textures!!!! or the game will show checkerboards instead!!!

so basically, if you give someone just your bsp map file, and not the extra textures or they get put in the wrong location the game will look but not find them and the textures will be checkerbords

6. Mr Pling

Mr Pling Member

Uuuhhh...

Sorry, but can you do a picture explanation? XD I am so bad at reading sometimes :'D

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Go into Empiresmod, Materials. Then create a folder there called penispower. Add all your materials you want for your map there, then when you want one of your textures for your map inside hammer, just take the texture tool and search for penispower.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

hammer scans the entire "materials" folder in empiresmod for textures each time you boot it, just put the textures in there somewhere and hammer will find and be able to use them

just make sure that for the map you made to be played with the texture you added, you still have to have the texture in the same place, since the map loads it out of the materials folder (where it was when you compiled your map) to show it ingame

this basically means that if you make a map with a self made texture, you have to provide the texture along with the map or people will get broken texture links