How Do I Cope With Exams!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by angry hillbilly, Mar 19, 2008.

1. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Ive got my final GCSE exams in 7 weeks and the pressere is really getting to me. I need advice on how to revise and how to cope with exams :(

And can we not go off topic this time I really need help plz :(

2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Just to begin with offtopic:

Make less threads? ;)

Ontopic: I have no clue really, but the one golden rule for everything: FINISH it in TIME! I never follow that rule btw..

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

You have seven weeks to learn proper spelling and punctuation.

Given your post history, your only option: kill yourself.

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Do what I'm probably going to end up doing: Jack all.

5. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

revise and get good grades or dont revise and get shit grades it really is that simple

6. petemyster

petemyster Member

psssssst 7 weeks

i've got 5 to mine, and no worries...im on coarse to averaging 3/4 A's and 1/4 B's. Still the occasional day i worry, but now i have 2 weeks for easter im gonna try and revise 3 hours a day (unrelastic for me but meh :D )

7. Deiform

Deiform Member

Do smack.

Btw you are correct BL.

8. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Study moar.

High school exit exam in the states is easy. Math portion isn't even algebra 1. The only thing thats worriful is the essay portion, but you can't study for that =\.

9. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Seeking this kind of advice on a gaming forum... lol...

Well... Here is what you can do:

Learn grammerz and spellingz...
    Tell us what the exams are on...
    Actualy study instead of killing time on Empires...

10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Hey... :(

11. REX

REX Member

I dont know what difficulty level this is or how it differs from what I got, but I realized the true meaning of stress during my major exam project.

We got the message early on that the final project grade would count as much as both A and B level math from all 3 years.

With that in mind I went through 8 weeks of actual stress. I have been under pressure before, but never real stress. for the last 2 weeks my blood pressure went to 180/120 and my pulse never got under 90:( .

But I managed to interview a weather scientist, the founder of a second generation bioethanol plant and the environmental speaker of the government. I edited it all to a 21 min documentary. That took me 55 hours to edit over only 3 days in the end. I also made a 3D intro, seeing earth from afar and then falling through the atmosphere blending into a satellite photo, landing where I started the film that also took some time.

Then there was a huge marketing research thing were I had to analyze who my audience was. I had a set of questions and had several hundred people answer. I had to do cross statistics of the questions and so on. I also contacted all the TV stations here and asked for their viewer profiles and so on. It became a huge 75 page report.

It did pay off and I landed a flawless 11/11 worth 250 points on the average calculation thing and my average became pretty sweet :). Most of the others that had chosen a simpler project sadly got 7/7 and their average took a major hit. My point is that you wont get anywhere without doing something.

I am guessing that you do know what to read up on. And that you already know what you are not good at. I read all of the books for each one of the exams within a few days before.

12. petemyster

petemyster Member

wow, and here I was, about to talk about just scrapping my GCSE final ICT cousework by 2minutes, by doing it all the night before, with my computer and printer frequently crashing/not responding.

13. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

GCSE ICT is easy tbh ;)

14. REX

REX Member

What exactly is that ?.

The exam im talking about is college stuff. I always get that mixed up with highschool as we call it "gymnasium" and the stuff before that is just 0-9 th grade.

15. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Ok the states is WAY DIFFERANT then the UK:

1. Its called MATHS not 'math' over here,

2. GCSE's are the qualifacations you do before your A'S/A'levels at collage (and no collage in NOT univercity) collage is collage then uni.

3. I was kind of hopeing for constructive answers not 'improve spelling' all i have to say to that is screw u, im trying to but spelling isnt all of it.

4. NO DRUGS :p

16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Just read your books which you have, if you have, and I don't mean any books but the books which you use at school to study. That's what I'm trying to do with my final matriculation examination too.

The last test is Physics' test and I try to read to it as much as I can even I most of the time fail to read enough. :P Even now I'm behind my schedule, badly.

But yeah, read more, read correct books and learn.

17. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I'm pretty sure you mean college, though a collage does include a lot of glue.

I hope you're better with numbers, because your spelling is simply atrocious and you will fail even a simple toefl test. And it's not even a foreign language to you.

But yeah, for mathematics (math and maths are colloquialisms but both proper abbreviations) it's a very good plan to check what is required of you and do loads of practice tests. A good plan is to review your homework to pick out weak spots and ask your teacher for help preparing. He or she will know what to do and can probably set you up with assignments that will cover the requirements.

If you can solve all of the assigned problems and mastered the theory you shouldn't have any problems passing your GSCE's.

As for the actual studying, it's important to set a bit of time aside for you to relax and ask your family to help you by picking up chores or doing things while you study (boil a pot of tea). It's a great help knowing others are helping you to succeed. A good plan before you start studying is to clean your room. A messy room is a big distraction and can be detrimental to your ability to focus. Find a friend who can help you with the math and arrange so you can call him when you encounter a problem you can't solve without an explanation, maybe even contemplate to study together. Be sure to give something in return for his/her help.

Chew some gum during studying and the test. The chewing motion of the jaw promotes blood flow in the head supplying more oxygen to the brain allowing you to perform better. We got our school to change policy after we supplied scientific proof. Every bit helps!

A very important thing to do is get plenty of sleep and eat right (especially breakfast!). Go to bet early and rise early. Properly rested and fed you'll be able to perform much better and this will help you a lot during your actual tests as well. Try to avoid fatty foods and too much caffeinated drinks. Energy drinks give you a nice boost for a bit, but aren't really good for you in the long run. Tea with sugar (sugar is brain food) should keep your brain fueled, and snackbars as a treat should help. Giving yourself a break to have some tea and a mars/snickers can really get you up and running again.

Then once you did your GSCE's, throw a crazy party to unwind! Nothing feels better.

These tips helped me a lot, though my problem was a motivational one rather than actual studying.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I fear for you hillbilly...but anyway...

Revision technique (this is the only one I know that works):

Make notes from all the work you have (sciences, history/geography, English, R.E, etc). Notes should compress essential data down to a few lines - you have a paragraph, make it into a sentence (unless it's all important). Note making is a skill that you'll have to learn, generally you start off copying everything then realise that half of it is rubbish, then you copy only half and realise half of that is rubbish, and so on. Oh, and afterwards learn the notes - they should be short enough to try to memorise by rote, but at least try to understand what's involved...because if you understand it and the method behind it, then you've learnt it (except history because there's nothing to learn there, just facts you dredge up).

For maths, make sure you've written all the important equations down and try to memorise each one. I forget, but it's something like all the sin cos tan ones isn't it? and a few others.

GO OUT AND BUY THE LETTS REVISION BOOKS. Get the "revise in a week" ones if the others are too long for the amount of time you have left. If you complete these books successfully I guarantee you'll pull up at least 1 grade.

One other thing, make sure you have a quiet place to work away from interruptions and GET THE HELL AWAY FROM YOUR PC.

If you're really crap at concentration like me, you'll find you stop every 20 minutes and just find yourself staring at the page. In that case, take breaks every 20 minutes - even if you do 20 minutes work then take an hour break it's better than actually only using 20 mins out of 2 hours doing work and then feeling wasted at the end of the day.

Good luck...remember if you do fail it's not the end of the world, but it'll feel like it (except only you will be screaming and running for the hills, and no one else except your parents will care).

19. REX

REX Member

I never practiced for any of the written exams and they didnt make me nervous at all. I had done the test formats every week for years as homework so it felt like any other day.

The final exam project I talked about was the last thing and I didnt practice any of the things I said. It was over so fast and suddenly my mother puts a hat on my head when I come out and college is all over.

Sitting there with the others was a huge relief. A few days later and all we were talking about was riding around in a big open vintage truck drinking beer shouting all day long visiting everyones homes :).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  20. arklansman

arklansman Member

Which angry hillbilly sniffs a lot of.