How can we make commanding more important?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by ImSpartacus, May 22, 2011.

?

A team should benefit from always having someone in the CV in com mode.

1. True

68.8%
  2. False

31.3%
  1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Commanders don't have enough important things to keep them busy. When a commander exits com mode, the team should suffer. Distracting the com should be an essential strategy that works on every Empires match. Inversely, a team should directly benefit from having a person in the CV in com mode.

So what other essential tasks can the commander do that require constant attention?

• Perhaps player carry-able ammo could be decreased and the commander could drop ammo pods from an unseen satellite. Footsoldiers would need constant drops to continue any operation, more than engies can currently supply.
    • Maybe the commander could drop other pods near friendlies that function as one-use spawns (a la helljumpers).
    • Perhaps the commander could trigger an automated (destroyable) UAV that would fly over a random part of the map, targeting all enemies below it.

I'm imagining all these tasks would be controlled by time, not money (kind of like the recharging energy on the repair tool). The com would be encouraged to constantly use these tools. If the com is distracted, the team could be severely hampered.

What ideas do you guys have that could encourage a com to increase the importance of being in com mode?

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the commander just needs tools to relay information better. commander powers, thats what you basically suggested (once again), would be nice, but wouldnt fix the lack to relay information.
    it also might shift the commanders roll so much we end up with a whole new one - if its good or not is argueable, but one cannot tell beforehand anyway ...

also the powers you suggested are ... how to put it nicely ... redundant - you get ammoz by engies, spawn in rax or apc (or get revived) and targets are shite, thats why the where removed (though a destructable UAV wouldnt be THAT bad).

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Destructible UAV that does autospot ftw, suggested it before. Anything to give the commander some battlefield presence is nice. It should require a radar.

Targets were poorly implemented. Targeting done correctly would strengthen the RTS-FPS player dynamic but not add so much advantage as to be over powered.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

how to make comm more important? hes already the most important player and objective.

5. ImSpartacus

I see that your very passionate about this subject. I look forward to hearing more of your opinion. I'd like to show you a few quotes (my emphasis added) from Trickster concerning the workload of Empires commanders.

You heard from the big man. Coms have such a dearth of responsibilities, we can't even have Engy Dropable Refs because coms wouldn't be busy enough without them. Coms need more things to do.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  6. flasche

i disagree with the wording of the poll's question ... if the goal would be to have commanders be in comm mode for a 100% of the game, then why not just copy savage? they have a "out of game" commander.

7. ImSpartacus

You're both right, the poll could've been worded better. I was trying to talk about Trickster's com distraction strategy. If the com being harassed, he has to leave com mode and deny the team commander support (refs, research, etc.). Check it out:

8. flasche

well looking around the map and telling people about upcoming (since he can look around corners f.e.) threats deffinately doesnt work while under attack either. he isnt only talking about placing buildings.

actually, a chatty comm hovering above you already helps a lot. its just not that evident. also most comms fail at frontline commanding from RTS view.
    you can interfere so much in battles simply by dropping a wallpiece for an advancing squad or an armoy for the lonesome engi that just took out a whole base but is on 1% health ...
    the problem just is, most comms suck badly when it comes to this, even those that win often because the stack joines them (since they know how and what to research)

also, a single LT doesnt scare me much as commander, hell die to MLs ive built in my save spot anyway sooner or later. the boomtank takes some beating ...

9. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

ImSpartacus, record a game of you playing the commander. There are dozens of free recording tools, or you can even just type record <name> in-game.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

demoing doesnt work in command mode

11. ImSpartacus

That's a good point. I agree that chatty coms can definitely improve a team's performance.

Never the less, Trickster doesn't think it's enough. Perhaps we could try to help that lone engy a little more?

Maybe in addition to dropping a few walls, the com could spend some of his recharging power bar to send a drop-able pod with a few consumable (i.e. finite) health packs.

I see com powers as an expensive way to make up for a lack of teamwork, not replace it.

I was only repeating what Trickster said:

Is Trickster a bad com? What improvements could he make? Personally, I think he's a pretty damn good commander.

So this pretty fucking effective com thinks that commanders don't have enough responsibilities. That completely eliminates skill from the discussion. All commanders, good and bad, need more to do.

12. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I give up.

13. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Don't bother Jephir.

14. ImSpartacus

Oh it seems like he's not afraid of me, only Trickster...

15. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I'm not sure how you managed to pull my quote out of context, but the one in your sig was a reply to aaa50

But if it helps, I think you're equally wrong.

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Is the commander already the most important player in a team? I mean, if he doesn't do his job, the team pretty much loses, right? Shouldn't you want to make sure that the commander alone doesn't decide whether his team wins or loses.

17. flasche

its too abstract. they need a shiny button labeld with some epic-sounding word to push or they will never feel the influence a commander can have on a team ...

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  18. Krazer

Krazer Member

Only thing Commanders need is a reactor failure when they die that takes out everything in a 9 sector radius.

19. flasche

i think anything that improves the ability to relay information in a way different from how comm-mass-targets did it, would be a very welcome addition for the commander.
    there has been plenty of decent suggestions concerning this over the last couple of years, sadly most need at least a partial GUI overhaul, so its so far back on the list, you probably can say, its gonna be never implemented.

20. ImSpartacus

What about that UAV I mentioned in the first post? I admit that it was just a two minute brainstorm, but it's not horrible.

It could be triggered every minute or so.

It would fly around a random part of the map until it's destroyed or a certain amount of time has passed.

I figure most times you use it, it doesn't reveal much or gets destroyed too soon. But maybe a few times a game, you might get lucky and have it fly over a front or enemy main.