Horizontal walls

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BloodRaven, Apr 25, 2012.

1. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

This would be an Engineer only thing. This would allow Engineers to place a horizontal wall onto the vertical or standing walls we have now. Essentially this would make a roof. It would physically appear fully built, but its health would start out the same as a regular un-built wall. No new wall types would have to be added to the engineer build menu, using the normal wall simply place it onto the side of another.
    Most of you are reasonably intelligent so I won’t bother explaining its uses, and missuses.

(Wow, it’s not a Jeep oriented suggestion.)

2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

TIME TO BUILD AN ACTUAL FUCKING BUNKER :DDDDDDDD

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You are aware what the bottom of a wall model looks like right? The BE one especially?

4. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

There'd have to be some kind of edge detection to code, right? This might not be easy.
    As for the bottom having no polys... it would need a new model. A simple edit of the current one that would take 5 minutes in blender but still...

5. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

Yes, I know I'm making this sound simpler than it is, but wouldnt it be possible to make a "smart" model that can decide how long it needs to be, IE regular giant model for vertical walls and shortened version for horizontal.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

You'd need an entirely different model, afaik current wall models are actually two times the size of what you think they are. I thought bunkers (aka what this leads to) was on the "do not suggest list".

7. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

Well would you look at that, bunkers are the "Nope" list. oh well. :pathetic:

8. Reznov

Reznov Member

just cut out bunker-looking-like holes on the armories so you cant shoot through it and voila, u got urself a "bunker". of corse models arent cheap to do n shit.

@topic: All Raven wanted to say with this suggestion was that Raven needs stairs for his poor jeep so it can feel the breeze of freedom. grant him a wish. :c

... (maybe it's my own fantasy though).

9. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

ow btw, if you get horizontal walls you'd need code to prevent hovering walls etc

10. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

Not like i cant do this already:rolleyes:

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I do like the horizontal walls idea but, it would probably be a large headache for such a small team to accomplish.(ie not worth the next to no time available) Perhaps something to add in the far future but, for now the gains would be minimal to the pains.

Things needed in order for this to work.
    code:
    Detection for end of full wall segments.
    Destruction of the vertical wall segment should destroy horizontal wall
    More code to change the gui in both green box shit and build menu

gfx:
    New walls not just a copy of the current wall on its side.

Questions to answer:
    Do we want to lock walls from going higher if they are not fully built when you attach a roof? Make platforms and stairs with that won't go higher so that noobs won't come by to "repair" them and accidentally build them up therefore, breaking the stairs.

Will we want to be able to attach horizontal wall segments anywhere to another wall? Think making stairs along the wall instead of building stairs up to the wall.

Will the quarter walls have quarter horizontal segments to make better stairs with?

Join HP? Attaching another wall should add total HP?

12. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

TIME TO BUILD ACTUAL FUCKING LADDERS AND STAIRS ON WHATEVER WALL I WANT

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

apart from that this suggestion probably has a worse effect on gameplay then the scoped rifle and is utterly retarded anyway - but hey, its from bloodraven so who would have guess that beforehand - how is it complicated to code?

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Too much exploiting potential, although stairways to heaven sound fun :rolleyes:

15. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

Fine, ill go back to my Jeep:p