Home Work/Tutor

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by alucard13mmfmj, Dec 12, 2010.

1. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Let's make a section in the forums where people can ask home work question. This way we can keep the server population up. We are the difference between a little kid getting to play Empires or getting grounded without internet access. Everyone can learn something AND then have fun playing Empires. We can show parents that Empires is a respected, valid, and reliable place for their kids to hang out with. I'm sure there are mathematicians, chemists, biologists, english, literature, and other professionals in other professions that can lend a helping hand to students. Let's give something back to the community!

2. Demented

Demented Member

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Not only can this community teach things to kids, we also educate them to be polite and law respecting. Just look what we made out of Empty!

4. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

And anime fans too!

5. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Figure them out yourself, ask some friends in your school or even better do a study group or just ignore the fucking homework just like every single normal person, because none of that crap will matter in university anyway?

Except if you are in the US and poor, then you are basically already screwed, since your chances to get into a good university are practically zero, in that case learning might help, but the people that succeed there do not need help from some random gaming forum.

Also I really do not want more kids playing empires. Children are annoying, especially the ones that have not gone through puberty and still have an insanely high pitched voice. The horror, ugh. Also fucking children have way too much time and they get good at games just because they spent insane quantities of time on a single game. I miss the time when I was myself able to do that. I now get owned in random infantry fights by random pubescent teenagers.

/rant

Back to topic, there are thousands of specialized boards that exist just to handle such problems, with people far more competent and willing to help students. You are of course free to ask for help in off topic, but I really don't see the point in this. Also you are lying to yourself if you say that you are learning something by playing games. You are not, seriously. I don't mean to judge this, because time you have enjoyed is most of the time, time spent well.

This mental picture is somehow disturbing, also why don't you have a seat over here?

6. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

quite possibly the best troll attempt ever done on these forums

7. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

hey hey hey. playing Ragnarok Online helped me with 2 questions on the SAT in the vocab section!

sooo have we found "x" yet?

8. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

[​IMG]

9. Fricken Hamster

At least here in California, the top 5% - 10% (unofficial, so noone really knows the real number) get accepted to many schools in the UC system, which is pretty much the pinnacle of public universities in California.

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Haha oh wow

In Belgium, you just go to the University, sign up, and either fail horribly on the first year or finish it. I think you get 240 credits to spend, which is four years worth of studying. If you pass a year, you are reimbursed the credits for the courses you passed. If you flunk a year, you lose those credits permanently. Go under 30 credits, and you can only do a half year's worth of courses in an entire year (because goddamn you're a stupid fuck if you lose 210 credits). Lose all your credits, you lose your status as a student and you have to pay everything yourself.

So here's my career:
    3 years of college in Belgium, Information Management And -Systems ( 2000€ in total )
    Currently: Pre-master in Computer Science, Netherlands ( 1980€, FUCK YOU NETHERLANDS)
    Future: Master in Computer Science, Netherlands ( 3960€ )

TL;DR: Har har Belgians have to pay fuck all to study at universities

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Information systems :(

Problem in the US is we have the mentality that EVERYONE has the right to go to school...so people go, major in theater, occupational therapy, communications...some bullshit major...and then spend every night boozing. We also send people to college for sports. Sports should never be included in school. And liower the drinking age to be so low that people can drink when they're kids. Then there won't be the shock of being away from home and being able to drink.

12. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Everyone has the right to study here too.

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Sure, but you also kick the people out who are shit. There are people who should go to a trade school, no more....but yet we put them through college for some shitty reason.

And if you go for sports...well, everyone else pays for you to go because if you can play sports, you MUST be worth it. I mean, all people really good at sports also have REALLY high IQs, yes?

SPorts shouldn't be allowed at schools. Germany got that right...sports is something you do in your free time. Not on schools time and money.

14. Fricken Hamster

I mistyped. What I meant to say was the top 5 - 10% of every highschool get accepted to most UCs.

15. Fricken Hamster

The top showcased sports, such as football and basketball actually make a lot of money from admissions to advertisements to licensed merchandise.

16. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

But it does not cover the cost of building facilities, and giving people free rides. The govt is helping to fun many state schools; the govt shouldn't be funding sports IMO. That should be totally private sector. You take state or federal money, it cannot go to ANYTHING sports related.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

It was a nice introduction to the broad spectrum that is IT.
    Well everyone has that right here too, but we get shitfaced for our first time when we're 16 or something (can only drive at 18) and that works pretty well.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

by the time you can drive a car you should have "already" explored your limits on alcohol usage

and it works... for the large part...

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Well, the reverse is true in the US. We drive at 16, smoke at 18 and drink at 21. Sigh...

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

so first everyone drives nicely, then young people start smoking pod while driving and then they start doing alcohol on the wheel? is it like that?