Hit and directional damage indicators

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Omneh, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Omneh

Omneh Member

I'm sure its been suggested before as I suggested it earlier in another discussion, however I figured the suggestion probably deserved its own thread.

Essentially, a subtle indicator on the crosshair whenever you damage something. No specific numbers (like that annoying plugin on VIPER), just a change in the crosshair whenever you do damage. This would add some much needed polish to the game, make shooting at the distances which empires combat usually takes place it a little more intuitive, and add a little more visual feedback to the act of shooting something beyond a ragdoll and blood particles.

On a very related note, directional damage indicators on the sides of the HUD. These are very much required in a game when you die in half a second flat from a quarter of a mile away without any means of tracking down the pixel spraying bullets at you, and I am honestly surprised that empires doesn't have a feature that pretty much comes as standard in FPS games nowadays.

Directional damage indicators would also alleviate the complaints about the weapons killing too fast, as much of the problem stems not from the accuracy of and the amount of the damage the weapons deal but the difficulty in pinpointing your attacker, this misunderstanding seemingly resulted in the (godawful) post 2.2 scripts which reduced the weapons to spud guns in an attempt to give players some time to find the guy shooting at them.

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

While your suggestion is an obvious improvement, I don't think the 2.2 inf weapon scripts intention was "to give the players some time to find the guy shooting at them".

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yes, just a few more FPS staples that Empires lacks.

I'm tickled to hear some obscure design-related argument against these basic features.

4. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

hold please, a customer service representative will be with you shortly.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Directional damage thingy got requested and assigned to mootant, dunno if he did it.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Indicator on being hit, directionally, sure. I like that idea (used to hate it but since weapons got sped up it's more appropriate now). But knowing if you hit them I'm against. It's cheap.

7. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

I'd like it, but the resolution you can achieve with it should be limited. Maybe within 45 degrees or so.

8. Michael

Michael Member

what Trickster said.