Hints to new players

Discussion in 'General' started by Hikuso, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

Some small steps and/or hints to new players for a productive and hopefully fun online experience:

1: Start phase:

This phase is the most critical phase of the game. What you want to do is join a squad and get that tasty free skill straight away, and then proceed to get as much terrain and rescource nodes as possible.

Things to do:
    *join a squad
    *activate the skill
    *try to move together with your squadmates
    *build anything the commander place

Things not to do:
    *stand just outside the barracks and wait for a vf to be placed
    *go scout and hide in a nearby forest
    *inquire as to where the "ammoz" are
    *hop into the commandvehicle and drive around like a chicken on crack (unless ofc you're an experienced commander, still i would advice against the chicken on crack driving)

Suggested classes and skill(s):
    *Engineer, Repair upgrade or revive (atleast 70-80% of the team should be engineer)
    *Rifleman, don't really play rifleman much so as to what skill to use i really can't say. Just stay close to the engineers and guard them while they build.

Suggestions for the commander:
    *pay attention to the minimap, if you see a group of ppl moving towards a resnode feel free to place it BEFORE they're there, to help speed up the terrain gaining process. (you might want to wait a bit if there are enemies nearby tho)
    *Get a radar up and start researching ASAP.
    *Do not start researching chassis, get a decent engine and armor first.
    *change location a lot, this will make you harder to ninja, make sure to have MG cover at each stop tho if you plan on staying there for a while.
    *don't be cheap with forward bases, a forward barracks at each front is cheap and will really help you hold on to that area, some maps have far to low resflow to support more than one extra barracks this early in the game tho.
    *try helping your soldiers out by marking targets for them.
    *Never forget that you to can build......

2: Research/fortifications phase

Ok so now we will have established a front between the two teams and if the teams are even, (skillwise and playerwise) the front will not be moving much for a while. The classes should be the same as in the 1st phase, with the addition of the grenadier as more vehicles will start showing up.

Suggestions for players:
    *Hold the line, riflemen - kill infantery, grenadiers - Kill vehicles and rocketsnipe buildings, engineers - Supply the others with ammo, heal them, repair buildings and grenadespam turrets. Use walls to get closer to enemy turrets if you can't reach them from any other cover.
    *Unless you've got a GOOD resflow (no matter what you do it keeps going up) do NOT get any tanks until you have atleast a new engine and armor.
    *If a tank shows up and you're alone and either scout, engineer or rifleman, HEAD TOWARDS THE NEAREST ARMORY OR BARRACKS AND CHANGE TO GRENADIER. Shooting at a tank with anything smaller than a mortar or rocketlauncher won't do any damage.

Suggestions for commander:
    *You've got a better view of the battlefeild than your soldiers, relay information to them!
    *pay attention to all the fronts and give them armorys and turrets, make new barracks etc.
    *never EVER forget to research

Blah, that's about all i have time for now :D

Comments or such would be appretiated.

2. KILLX

KILLX Banned

cookies for you! hopefully this will make the game more fun, since people have even less excuse to stand around doing nothing now.

3. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

well, call me a pessimist, but i doubt this'll help :P

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

PESSIMIST!

whats a pessimist?

5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Maybe mention that Scouts and Commanders are for experienced players

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Good tips. I'm not sure about the wisdom of encouraging new players to command before they have mastered the infantry side, but I agree with the tips you have given.

7. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

Well seeing as new people get to command quite often because the more experienced ones don't feel like it or are on the other team ;) i thought it best to atleast give them a few pointers, now all we need is for new people to join the forums and read it :o

I have more stuff to add later, will do it once i get the time

8. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Add this to the guide.

Riflemen should get the accuracy skill. Gives you much more extra damage than the actual damage upgrade in a huge majority of situations. Other upgrades are your preference.

Going out in the middle of nowhere as anything but engineer is usually pretty useless unless its to cover friendlys. Engineer is the most valuable class, get used to it.

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

As it should be..
    Also when scout on urban maps get hide and go ambush a frequently used alley or road, wait for them to walk by and attack them from behind...

10. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Hey, make sure to read that advanced hints and tips guide. I don't know if I should bump it because it's so old, but I'll link to it. (feel free to bump)

It has some really detailed and smart tactics in it.

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=94

edit:
    awww, only half the pictures work, and none of the funny ones. poop.

11. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Its more effective to use that tactic as a riflemen. If when scouting you've got the hide skill, use it to infiltrate and sabotage buildings.

12. Disarray

Disarray Member

Another good tip would be, when you are on city fighting maps like District, get a good command chain thing going and get revive people.

13. The Buttery Lobster

I'll be honest--I'm still in a state of disbelief over the very fact that we NEED a thread about hints to new players. I go to these other mods (like ZM) and they're bitching about all the noobs in-game, and I'm like, bitch! It could be worse, you could have NO players! For awhile there I was pretty damn pessimistic about the future of Empires.

Just a little rant. Nothing to add to the thread, other then I welcome all newbies strongly. KillX is still doing his training camp thing, yes?

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I failed at having time, Kestrel has taken over.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

good luck with that, mate.

16. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

my hope in new players have been restored, i've met 3 or 4 over the last couple of days that listens to and understands advice, such as squadding, activating skills how to build stuff, how to revive and such

the 20 or so others i just tend to yell at, calling them names or ignoring them

17. The Buttery Lobster

If new players don't listen to me, I usually just hack their system, find their address, and fly to their house. Then I spend the rest of the night sitting outside their room with an bb gun, licking my chops and waiting.

Usually without pants.

18. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

Sekhseh!

19. Asfaloth

Asfaloth Member

Well Tahnks, for the hints, it's not much, but at least a little bit helpfull.

Something that might be interesting, at least for me, are some hints for researching, what is really effective, and how to get there?

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Thread revive ? O.o anyways some 2 basics :

NF-electro-"superlights" with 3phase and reactive
    electro---->reactive armor, then electro--->magnetic--->3phase engine

BE-phys-"death apcs" with reflective and Dumg later with fission engine

phys--->projectile phys ----> heavy caliber MG's and reflective armor
    phys--->nuclear fission ----> fission engine

But they work if people know how to use them, if not they will keep buying shitty Armored Failure Vehicles

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008