Hidey hole

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by swiftdraw, Aug 19, 2006.

1. swiftdraw

swiftdraw Member

The BE bararcks need to be redesigned or something. There is a room on the left hand side (going out) of one entrance that a engineer can hide in and nobody seems to notice. I just got off a game where I blew 3 barracks in a row with the engi's pad hiding in that room. I could hear everyone scrambling to find me, but couldn't. I played other games where this has happened and have thus far only been caught once (some guy got the bright idea to get on the roof and look through the cieling windows.) The NF barracks are wide open and don't have this problem, but BE either needs a spawn in that room or eliminate it entirely.

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Oooor... Add one to the NF barracks! =D

perferably second story access =)

3. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

That's the first place I check when I'm Brenodi and someone is attacking the barracks. :D

4. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

Deconstructing the barracks from that small room...that's a great idea! Why didn't I ever think of that? I normally just use the roof :-/

5. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Yeah I think the NF barracks should be a bit more "Diverse" a second story might be annoying as you can shoot people from the top...

6. swiftdraw

swiftdraw Member

The NF repair facility would be great for sniping if you could get in the shed area and climb the ladder in there to the roof.

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

But it can be shot at too.

8. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I whish they'd lower the roof on the nf barracks. Have sympathy for coms who employ foward barrack's. (Doesnt matter if you kill my soldier three times cuase he keeps coming back ^_^)

9. Vlade

Vlade Member

Alot of the NF buildings are to bulky. For example it seems to can place the BE VF alot easier than the NF VF. The buildings are just to fat, they need a diet.... like me.... o.0

10. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

That would be awesome.

11. Deiform

Deiform Member

Ahh let's go overboard here. I would like to see linky tunnels from each building if a piece of 'snap-to-grid' code was placed, so you can place all your buildings together with nice tubing technology.

That would give a nice tunnel to run through to get from barrakcs-armoury-veh. factory.

The NF will have a tube going from the second storey into the vehicle factory with a little slide.

What was that?! Yeah, I heard you think, "****" and I think it's an amazing idea!! =P

12. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

This was originally planned, but BSP does not lend itself to such behavior. Poor Krenzo has been traumatized by trying to make it work.

13. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

I use the room to well... hide. And I use the roof to... snipe. NF 2nd story would couse the pollycount to skyrocket. But I'm in favor.

14. Darg

Darg Member

The NF barracks has already been lowered down by horny rabbit. Maybe with some sort of portal like code you could be transferred through the displacement brushes to the underground tunnel.

15. Deiform

Deiform Member

Oh really? Awesome. Shame the maps don't support it, you could make big tunnels for whales to fly down. =P

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Holy carp, you're a genious darg.

I don't know if you meant portal as in the new valve game portal, but that's how it read to me.

We've all seen the videos of Portal, right? Walking straight through BSP and coming out somewhere else at all angles and orientations. Tunnels could simply be created underneath the building (displacements are only solid in a sheet, not a block) at a level guaranteed to be below the displacement. Then a seamless portal-like tunnel can be created from inside the building to the start of the tunnel. This would also solve issues with buildings being at different heights. Distance and space are not an issue any more!

I know the game isn't out yet, but it will come out with episode 2 (early next year, I think) and the SDK update will surely follow closely afterwards. This would be the perfect tech to implement a tunnels system.

EDIT: I was wrong about the SDK thing, the strider mod coders have already implemented a portal-like gameplay. Video here.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

How about 2 buildings, one which is a "strait" peice, and the other which is a corner peice, and they are overground tubing with earth piled up against the sides, and a hatch at the top of every corner peice. so a vehicle can drive over it, and men inside are protected from arty or whatever. as if you had a line of BE armouries, but cheaper.

18. Darg

Darg Member

That video is exactly the thing I'm talking about. All we need is to set up the portals when a building is completed and have the tunnels created to maybe a central node at the barracks or something.

19. jambo

jambo Member

wasn't that side room in the BE barracks designed to be the enterance for the underground tunnels originally , i think it was

20. Deiform

Deiform Member

Zomg, maybe the scout has a portal ability, but it takes all 4 unlockable skills to get it.

Uber light tank portal jump ftw!

(Maybe I'm getting too far out of proportion now =S)