Hey Guys, I just realized something.

Discussion in 'Art' started by PwnedYoAss, Jun 25, 2009.

1. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Has anyone of us actually modeled something that went into game!? I think the only thing I've done is that shark on tropicvendetta, and a couple of rocks no one even used. I mean Chris got his barracks in-game, and it promptly dissapeared, SirSnipes has proposed a couple of models, S U N R I S E has modeled a very nice wall that he can't get into game, and finally dizzyone has an AFV that has a placeholder texture. We need to get off our asses. Just a thought guys.

2. Drag

Drag Member

It would be nice to have some finished models but before we put them in for good we'll need a whole set or they have to somewhat fit together. We also need the boundary box coordinates for the placement script so the game knows where the buildings fit and where not.

Oh by the way, I should request it elsewhere but I need a properly made aircraft model, even if its a placeholder to tweak the air controls, I tried compiling one myself out of junk I found but it will probably take me weeks to even understand what the hell the compiler wants from me :p

And by "properly made" I mean rough shapes, maybe some basic textures to avoid eye cancer and, most importantly the right viewpoint attachment and a bone to attach turrets to. Oh and ofcourse align the model to the grid properly so the origin is somewhere in the center, not a mile away from it :< .

As much fun as flying a jeep around is it constantly gets in my way, I can't properly see from it, I rely on the results I get because there is an unknown factor of the suspension and the wheel system. Deactivating stuff via code or script didn't work at all. Valve's simulated physics code checks for wheels and if there are wheel attachments the effing thing has simulated suspension.

3. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Uh, Drag go talk to Coffee. He may know something you don't.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It didn't disappear, it's sitting in my model folder, but I can't exactly do anything with it on my own.

5. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Exactly! I think we need to work together to get some of these great models ingame, I mean S U N R I S E's wall can be put ingame within a matter of a half an hour if he gave me the files.

Speaking of that I have to go PM the guy.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The rax already IS ingame... I am not some invalid who needs help operating a basic compiling program. It's modelled, it's textured, it's about 3/4ths of the way to having a physbox although I never bothered to compile one because you can't see it in a screenshot.

The point is that unless a developer says 'we want to put the rax ingame, please send the model files over' it's not going to do anything other than sit in my model folder being unused unless I start a mapping project which calls for it.

7. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Another point! We need to stop making models and concepts for things that already exist! I.E. THE AFV MADNESS!

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

What exactly do you propose we make models for then?

Would you like me to model the NF supertank? Or the brenodi nanotech laboratory? Or the satellite control station?

Because none of those are in the game.

9. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Map props! The mappers are always in need of a modeler or two to liven up their maps, I mean go look around the forums Chris. We need trees, rocks, and other things like that not to mention certain people need specific models! It may seem like a deeming job modeling little pieces of maps instead of modeling some bigass supreme end-it-all model that goes into the official game. Why don't we as a community work on the custom-content?!

10. Omneh

Omneh Member

There is a distinct lack of concepts and models for the BE aircraft and shotgun, among other things... I'm not sure whether the stuff Megel did for NF is still usable since he's left the dev team.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

We also need to make the main art look good.

There is only one rax model per side, there are hundreds of miscellaneous props and textures, not to mention the things the mapper can make from brushes and displacements.

Once the main art looks good, I can start making environmental art in a similar style.

12. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Considering the devs are requesting map props...

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

They are also requesting a new rax.

Besides I'm the modeller and I'll decide what to model, it's one of the perks of being a modeller.

14. Drag

Drag Member

Quoted for truth and emphasis. And fuck you again Chris :)

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Fuck you too, I'm not doing aircraft until I've done buildings, tanks, probably a lot of environment, and a map or two, I have no interest in seeing aircraft in empires, all it will do is add more things to go wrong.

16. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I'm here to convince, not to argue, but hey good for you Chris.

17. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

Dont worry pwned, your blimps will make it into tropicvendetta as well. :)

We will use the things we request rest assured.

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

20. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Remember that I sent you a PM about that one?
    The links doesn't work.