HEMG: The Underdog Storey.

Discussion in 'General' started by CobaltBlue, May 15, 2008.

1. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Seems most people think I'm crazy when I want to use Explosive Tipped MGs over DU.
    DU does do more Flat-out damage/time to vehicles, that's true.

But...

HEMG can damage vehicles, infantry, and buildings. Technically, DU can damage infantry, but I personally laugh at people who shoot at infantry with DU. It's like trying to kill them with plasma.

HEMG is light-weight, cheap, transfers extra heat on impact, and has an explosive range.

I obviously don't always want HEMG over DU, but there are times when it is quite useful.
    • Makes most affective Swiss-Army-Knife APC. How much weight would it take to put an MG, Grenade, and DU on an APC? Oh, did you still want Armor? Too bad.
    • APCs can actually take-out turrets from a safe distance. Grenades just don't lob far enough. I know lots of cases where a team will go DUAPC and the other team will easily counter it with a few simple turrets. That wouldn't work so well against HEMGAPCs.
    • When you want to snipe infantry from your tank, but you don't want to waist all that weight on something useless against tanks.
    • When you are NF and concentrating on the chemistry tree, and you need an APC upgrade.
    So anyways, HEMG is not useless.

Practice it a bit on VehicleTraining with this setup, you might like it: HEMGAPC with Regen Armor and (I like gas-turbine for the torque, but others may prefer fission or bio-deisel. 3-phase is a bit more difficult to control for the precision kills.), using a demo-man with armor spotting. It works QUITE well in most cases. It fails when you are out numbered, and when NF uses missle spam, since regen doesn't do so well against missle spam, and an APC isn't really meant to take heavy fire.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

omg, ONE GAME. I com ONE GAME. You shouldn't even be judging how a SINGLE MATCH goes based on my commanding, let alone Empires THE GAME. I already warned everyone what a horrible commander I am!!! And I told you specifically that my commanding strategy primarily revolves around spamming barrackses and swearing profusely at myself.* And by the time I actually got around to having the option of researching HEMG, we were as good as dead.

*a strategy, i might add, that I have mastered: "ohshitohshitohshitohshit wtf is that thing over there omg omg damn it damn it oops damn it crapcrapcrap how do i order attack commands sweet jebus help me."

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Lobstah commed?! :o

4. The Buttery Lobster

<filler>

5. Demented

Demented Member

You sound like a combination of the red and orange orbs in Portal.
    Do you ever smell something burning?

6. petemyster

petemyster Member

i prefer HEMG oveer DUMG, i always research HEMG because its too damn awesome.

7. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Same. But I think that's propably only because most of the hits of the DUMG wont register.

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

all or almost all shots register at a tickrate of 33. DUMG has a high spread and misses at mid range, HEMG is perfectly accurate and can hit almost every shot at long range

9. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

So.. No more DU for BE, but instead Advanced coolant + HEMG?

Or maybe NF could be even more rape with it?

10. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

give me fission and duHMG anyday :)

acceleration=hard to hit, the vehicles made from metal to run people over if they have stickys out jump into the turret on the be apc and kill them from there and high speed makes it easy to escape

if i want to hurt infantry any other way ill get a std mg (or 3) and possibly keep a standard dumg----sorted :)

but then again i love the fission engine ;)

11. Empty

Empty Member

Acceleration is constant with all vehicles though.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

z0mg! :eek: Why didn't someone page me?!

Anyway, HEMG is good, but DU is easy to get quickly and you don't need to open an extra branch to get an armour - even if you do something like regen before HEMG it's still slower than Reflec + DU and reflec is something like the 2nd best armour anyway (depending on how you weigh reactive). Most people tech what's quick these days, but there was a time when chemistry was the only research path for a win.

Seems a lot more people are wise to reflec and DU these days, which kinda lowers some of the value of DU. It used to be more of a "wtf are they using?!" kinda ninja weapon, but now you see it so often it's commonplace...and once someone knows what you're using, you've lost most of your surprise advantage.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

HEMG is PERFECTLY accurate!?

Since when? I don't remember it being like that last time I used it.

Admittedly I can't remember the last time I used it, but still...

14. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

Perfectly accurate is an exaggeration. :|

DUMG:

"Projectile Spread" "0.035"

HEMG:

"Projectile Spread" "0.025"

Furthermore:

DUMG:

"Damage" "10"

HEMG:

"Damage" "12"

But more importantly:

DUMG:

"Cycle Time" "0.18"
    "Clip Size" "180"
    "Total Ammo Clips" "5"
    "Reload Time" "8.0"

HEMG:

"Cycle Time" "0.5"
    "Clip Size" "30"
    "Total Ammo Clips" "6"
    "Reload Time" "8.0"

That's why always thought that HEMG is kinda crap...
    I've never seen it used in combat against actual buildings though... infantry seemed unimpressed by it as well.

15. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I've seen it. It's a pain to be a commander against HEMG APCS that take out your turrets..

16. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

I think you did a very good job of commanding. We just got raped when we lost the northern base and they started kicking our butts with LTs. --Which is definitely not your fault.

Seriously, lots of people have been suprized at me using HEMG, I don't blaim you for that AT ALL. In fact, when I think about it, that wouldn't have been the best idea in that situation.

17. petemyster

petemyster Member

i love it on cyclopean, you can snipe into thier base and scratch the enemy cv, then watch it drive around in panic :p

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Ok so not perfectly accurate, I forgot that DUMG was buffed, it had a higher spread before, so in comparison it would be very close to perfectly accurate. HEMG is also an explosive bullet that does splash damage, which also makes it hit a lot more over longer ranges. The ct and clipsize for DUMG have been adjusted since then.

The main difference between the 2 are that hemg uses explosive bullets and able to snipe and steadily soften up any tank for direct assault, while DUMG is only able to give the same damage and up at closer ranges and only penetrates armor. The difference in damage does not really matter.
    At optimal range, DUMG is the best, then bioMG and last HEMG, however HEMG can shoot from practically any range in sight and can damage structures, also does not waste bullets ;)

19. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Done forget that HEMG does ONE damage to buildings. ONE damage.

20. The Buttery Lobster

... is that right? Is he right? One isn't a lot..... who here can differentiate/has access to the code, vs. the scripts? Dizzy? How much does DUMG do to buiildings?