Help With Skybox Texture

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Icely, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Icely

Icely Member

I am having difficulty creating a custom skybox texture. The skybox appears just fine with LDR lighting, but with HDR lighting it become very bright. I have tried creating a darker texture for the HDR skybox, but the texture for the HDR skybox shown below is already significantly darker than the LDR one without producing any improvement.

Since my experience with creating textures is limited to creating mini-maps for Empires I'm hoping someone here will be able to help out.

Skybox with LDR lighting:
    [​IMG]

Skybox with HDR lighting:
    [​IMG]

2. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

Second picture looks way more awesome, it's like a burning sunrise. I don't know what you think, but I would keep it. Maybe add some dark clouds, and you can fix that. I had that before and it makes most maps in Empires look ridicliously bright. Something to do with the light_enviorment settings.

3. Riot

Riot Member

have you got a seperate vmt and vtf for both normal and hdr?

i.e.
    empsky_day3_hdr_dn.vmt
    empsky_day3_hdr_dn.vtf
    empsky_day3_dn.vmt
    empsky_day3_dn.vtf

the same texture just with hdr properties in the .vmt file

search your empires/materials/skybox folder and copy the .vmt lines there as best you can into your own vmt files, changing the texture name of course

4. Icely

Icely Member

No, I copied the structure of the existing HDR skybox .vmt files and made one set of .vmt for both the LDR and HDR textures.

Code:
    "sky"
    {
    	"$hdrcompressedTexture" "skybox/empsky_fogtown_hdrbk"
    	"$ignorez" "1"
    	"$basetexture" "skybox/empsky_fogtownbk"
    }

And I thought to test the light_environment. But even radically altering the amount of ambient and direct light had no affect on the skybox. Besides the default skybox I was using prior to this one didn't have this problem.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. Riot

Riot Member

shouldnt that be hdrbasetexture? also I notice the other file formats are empsky_texturename_hdr_bk. as long as the filenames all match up it should work but try sticking to the exact same format the other ones use. youre also missing the "$nofog 1" line. This could be the problem seeing as your map is densely covered in fog right? im not gonna go testing this, but unless you know exactly what youre leaving out and doing with this, just keep everything the same structure as the official emp ones.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. Icely

Icely Member

Yes it should be hdrbasetexture. I looked mostly at the the default Valve skyboxes for the structure and didn't notice that difference. A quick change and recompile shows the skybox looks like it should now. Thanks a bunch.

And I don't know why, but Empire's HDR skyboxes appear to be breaking naming convention by adding that space before the suffix.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  7. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

They are, but you don't have to follow them. It really doesn't make a difference, so long as mappers remember that the suffix needn't be included in the Map Properties.

8. Riot

Riot Member

ah, sorry. didnt realise it was the emp guys who deviated from the normal naming format. my bad. Anyways, glad it's fixed and working right now.