Help with AA turrets (exporting)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Silk, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

I've started modeling, just because it's getting hard to come up with maps for which i can use the same old existing models again. But like those that know me well could have no doubt predicted, i'm having some problems.

So i'm using XSI Mod Tool trying to make an AA weapon, would should become a 1.5 character high static prop for one of my maps.
    I have 3 problems:
    - Collision is weird
    - Shadow is insanely huge compared to the model
    - Since 512x512 is the biggest texture xsi seems to be able to make, any model bigger than a tv looks like crap as the textures will be scaled down a lot to fit on the 512x512 texture.

With some tip on the valve wiki i'm hoping i can fix problem 1. I'm also hoping shadow is based on the collision model so that problem 2 will be fixed if i fix problem 1.

The bad texture however is a serious pain in the ass. I tried dividing a model in 3 parts, so i would have 3 textures. In hammer i've then placed all 3 static props more or less on top of eachother making it look as it is one texture. It still looks awefull.
    What can be done about this?

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/234836/emp_ds2_wip0009.jpg

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

You don't need to use a 512x512 texture after you compile the model for source, you could just use a 512x512 version for reference inside of xsi, then after you compile you can use one that's higher res.

The collision is probably weird because it needs to be a convex shape, any shape that isn't convex will be truncated into a convex shape, if you want a more accurate collision model, you will need to use multiple seperate meshes.
    Looking at your picture, you should use 2 seperate cubes for the racks and another cube for the base, that should compile fine.

Shadows are controlled by hammer and not by the model, so should probably check some map compiling tutorials for that.
    I would suggest that you render shadows in a 3d program, then use them as overlay on the ground, they will be much more accurate.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  3. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Ah right forgot to mention you need to add $concave for multiple meshes to work. Every single object still needs to be convex though.
    It's good practice to always include $concave in your .qc's, whether or not you're using multiple meshes.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  5. Silk

Silk Mapper

Very good to know, thanks. I'll try again this weekend.