Help me with the trailer!

Discussion in 'General' started by Private Sandbag, Feb 2, 2008.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I watched the new trailer. Its better, but still needs a lot of work. The music is probably my biggest complaint at this point. You need sometime more dramatic. The mechwarrior 2 theme is just too sterile for a trailer. You need something louder and more exciting. The clips are much better this time, but you still need to work on making some of them a bit shorter. Also, it seemed like the video was lagging towards the end, i don't know if thats the footage you have or a problem with your video program.

2. petemyster

petemyster Member

who made the last empires trailer? i thought it was quite good.

EDIT; watched the trailer, this has the potential to be an awesome trailer. Sound needs alot of work, also the starting song sounds extremely familair, its killing me 0.o
    I saw myself a couple of times, and i ever had the honor of being in the 1st person view :p
    Fix the sound, and too bad about the poor fps/lag in the 1st person view when they were eg, turning around.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I think the music for both is utter shite, personally, but it's the best i've been given.

I will edit it further, and try to mix up the clips from each section so its more dramatic and a lot less like "scenes". I would quite like the more footage to work with, because most of the good shots, the framerate drops.

I don't have a widescreen monitor. all the current footage is in widescreen. either I scrap all of this footage and start again with new footage, or someone with a widescreen monitor compile the demos on the front page and then I have more footage to work with.

4. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

NEW ATTEMPT:
    [link removed... new one uploaded]

this is much better. any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  6. petemyster

petemyster Member

hot hot models and bikini's (you can tell im still downloading it can't you :/ )

EDIT: watched it. Didn't like it. Was to unproffessional, and the voice (templar's?) spoiled it. Take example from draft 2. I liked it (apart from music).

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Vess: that was great, the music timing really matched up well with the video.

8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

much better Sandy. What exactly in life are you bad at? Does anyone know?

9. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Dude, sand. When I see that, I imagine you saying "Fine, What ever, You want short action clips? then Here! You want Rock music? Take it! Take it all!"
    Don't give in dude. Don't let the critics controll the art.

10. REX

REX Member

11. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Its starting to look much better. The clips are definately much better in the latest trailer. The music still needs some work though. When I see this trailer, i want to think to myself "damn this game looks badass". Ignore anyone claiming that this has to be an art. If it was an art, then you'd take a totally different approach than the one you seem to be taking.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I gotta say I get mixed messages reading this thread...

I like the rock music. It's what I would have origionally chosen, but after that segment the song gets rather slow, so for the longer trailer it wouldn't have worked.

I'll remove the voices as far as possible... do you want me to include "look at you, you're covered in holes" or some other taunt at the start? (as it is here, except kinda cut off)

I'll play around with the order of the clips to try and get them lined up with the music more.

yay i found the empires logo!

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

the taunt at the beginning is out of place, imo.

as for music, find another similar song, and cross fade once the first reaches the end.

14. Kuma

Kuma Member

mmmmmm....cross fading.....I have plenty of experience with sound editing if you ever need some help sandbag.

15. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Don't start with me.

You wouldn't know art if you were a member of a forum based on a complex of it!

16. Extrems

Extrems Webmaster Extraordinaire

Nice trailer, but:
    • The voice at the beginning should be removed.
    • It's really low resolution, keep it at 1280x968 (might aswell crop it to 1280x720 just to follow HD standards).
    • It's too short and end adruptly.

I'll try rendering more footage next week.

Edit:
    You can find the in-game intro video at:
    C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Empires\media\empires.avi

17. KMFrog

KMFrog Member

yeah the start needs work...

I would personally go for a more "epic" intro (epic music, game logos, copyright, other into stuff), then move into the main song & footage.

I also would try and get the length to around 2/2.5mins (normalish advert time).

Other than that, its coming along very well ;]

18. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Pretty damn good.

Can I suggest some slow-mo as the music dramatic peaks?

I was whatching this and I nearly wet myself as the action when from high-speed to ultra slow-mo...and the music and wooo!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  19. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I'm just saying that I think hes going for a more "make it look like a bunch of fun" approach and not a "leave the watcher in tears" approach. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for that, but if he did it he would, for one thing, be using either lighter, more emotional music (like the Mad World commercal) or opera/classical which hes said he doesn't want.

20. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Every things black or white with you aint it?
    Have you looked at that little clip I made?here
    Art and fun are not anyware neer polar opposits.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008