Help; college interviews.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329, Jan 4, 2013.

1. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

So, I have my first college interview (with Harvard) in about three weeks and I'm as nervous as hell. Does anyone have some general advice or some tips for me? I've never really done this before. What sort of questions do these interviewers usually ask? How formal is the atmosphere? Sould I wear a suit, or is that too formal?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

First, you calm the fuck down.

Second, think about where it's happening and who you're meeting. If it's at a local coffee shop or at a park, casual. If you're going to a business or something like that, business casual. If you're doing something fancy, wear something fancy.

Third, you calm the fuck down.

They ask about you, they want to know about you. Your interests, your hobbies, what you do for fun, that kind of stuff. They want to hear about all the stuff that makes you you and not just another statistic.

You also have to show genuine interest. If they're a faculty member, ask them about the classes they teach and why they work at Harvard. Chances are that you'll be talking to an alumnus. Ask them why they went to Harvard, what the people were like, how were the classes. Interviews aren't a one-way street, you need to show them that unending thirst for knowledge that can never be satiated. And if you lack that thirst, then fake it.

Finally, and the most important piece of advice that I can ever give anyone for anything ever, calm the fuck down. They want to see that you can handle yourself.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Since when do you have to go to an interview to go to university? You're paying for the tuition.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

At some point, you have to can't charge more to let market forces do their thing. You have to find other ways to reduce demand. And this touchy feely way of doing it get pr points as well.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Remember to market yourself, have a list all your accomplishments from high-school or anything you consider good regarding education.

Have your diploma on you, when I got interviewed I forgot to bring mine and had to do a 2nd interview.

Practice typing, everyone wants 50 wpm for a minimum. It might be higher.

Hide the fact you game, keep it to yourself until your accepted. Harvard are a collection of no fun jerks, especially the ones who teach.

Oh and be very linguistic, bitches love fancy words.

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

This. Anything else is just elitist PR crap

7. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I've never been interviewed for college because I never went, but I've got every job I ever interviewed for & I have conducted some. Interviews are not tests, a good question is worth two good answers, it shows initiative.

If you are nervous then do whatever you can to get comfortable, learn as much as you can about the institution, see if you can speak to people there first and if it is possible simply turn up early and acclimatise to the surroundings, walk around, grab a coffee or whatever.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Here you only have to take part in an interview if you study stuff like music or free art... its none of the universities buisness which character its students have.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

no one here ever got an interview at havard. use google, and follow basic interview stuff like azk said

10. communism

communism poof

rofl lamer

be sure to tell them you play empires real gud

11. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

I was interviewed by Harvard. Later I got rejected by Harvard.

12. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

What sorts of questions did they ask you? How did you respond? Are Harvard interviewers super snobby? Did you wear a suit? I hate suits.

Did they expect you to have a good understanding of the classics? What major were you applying for? Did you stutter, or were you glib? Where did you end up going instead? Do you know why you were rejected? Any information would be helpful.

13. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

Because Harvard has a mediocre engineering school... especially for their school's elite status. It's only good if you want to be a lawyer or U.S. President.

It varies depending on the type of interview, but Chris gave the general guidelines. I doubt that you'll need a diploma for an introductory interview (which are informal anyway). The paperwork are done when you go through the registration process, and a transcript is sent to the college by your high school (thus diploma is not needed).

14. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Disregard most of what has been said. College interviews are not job interviews. Usually the interviewer is alumni with passion for their school. Research the school, know stuff like their mascot, big sports or clubs and social memes and such. Research one professor preferably in the field you want to major in. Skim some of his works or publications.

Say something like
    "Is professor Spartacus still teaching forum polls? I really enjoyed his work and want to take his class." Doesn't matter if the interviewer knows him or not.

15. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

I don't remember too much since it was 3 years ago, but I think most of the topics discussed were about what I did in high school (the interviewer asked me to bring a list of activities, test scores, and accomplishments from high school).

Not my interviewer, he seemed quite easygoing and also casual (at least for the interview). If you've been in contact with your interviewer (my interviewer contacted me by e-mail), then you'll probably have some idea of what he/she is like. I asked him about what dress I should wear. Fairly casual clothes for both me and the interviewer.

My interviewer was a Harvard alumnus. The location was his house and the room the interview was in had a wall filled with thick books, which intimidated me a tiny bit but not much since he was quite friendly.

I don't think he mentioned them at all.

Mathematics.

I'm sure I stuttered a fair amount but I managed to say what I wanted to say.

The Ohio State University (honors program).

I don't know for sure, but probably because I wasn't "good enough." I don't want to elaborate that over a public forum though.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  16. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

Hm, I'm probably going to major in classics, philosophy, or linguistics. Will my prospective major have a large effect on the questions asked?

17. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Once you get in, make sure you make friends with illuminati or free masons or some kinda satantic cult.

In the power elite structure there are two hiearchy. The "public" hiearchy, which are the presidents, governors, prime ministers and etc etc.. Then there is the satanic cult heiarchy. Members of the satanic cult heiarchy has a higher status or rank than members of the public heiarchy. The satanic cult heiarchy rules in the shadows and tell "world leaders" what to do.

These satanic cult members are high ranking public heirarchey are members of an alien species. They are lizard people. Satan is actually the lizard people's king. They have a space base in our moon, which is hallowed out. They use the moon to broadcast radiowaves that blocks our ability to see them as lizard people. The lizard people feed off of people's energy, particularly negative energy assocated with death, grief, insanity, hatred. They prefer the negative energy of children.

18. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I laughed.

19. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

Hello. Thank you for your *helpful* advice. Now please fuck off.

Edit: Sorry, that was rude. It's like 5 a.m. right now and I just came back from printing out and writing several cover letters to send to universities. So let me do this with more tact this time:
    If you are joking, hahahaha. There's a perfunctory laugh for you. Now please don't tell me any more of your "jokes"
    If you are serious, then .............................................................................. yeah I really don't know what to say.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  20. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

I don't know for sure, but I think they'll still mainly be high-school-related.