Hello from JustGoFly - just joined the forums

Discussion in 'General' started by JustGoFly, Nov 24, 2012.

1. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Well - been playing this game for a while and didn't know about the forum. I missed a couple PUGS and am hopeful not to miss anymore. And I just thought you guys hated me :)

Much thanks to ScRat for helping me out!

I ain't no kid and I'm sure many of you know me from online play and my constant chatter. Not as bad as DaRip though :) also not as good a player as DaRip.

I played Command and Counquer when it first came out in 1995. Then Red Alert. My favorite of that Genre was "Total Annihilation". I think some of what the COMM does in C&C can learn from Total Annihilation. He has a weapon that can lay a line of total devastation in a row. So those chasing tanks could be taken out if aimed properly. And give him time to rebuild. When two TA Comm's destroy each other it's a nuclear explosion that takes out a huge chunk of the map. So it's a stale mate.

I played WOLFENSTEIN way back in 386 days. Then Quake and my favorite first person shooter UNREAL TOURNAMENT. They destroyed that game by upgrading it. I was very good at UT. Flipping backshot sniper in the forehead good. You know you're good when you are accused of cheating. The low grav was great. Run out while a guy trys to get a bead on you - fire your disk across the map to where he's standing. Dodge his shots then click - you're standing right next to him. Fun to point a gun at a newbs head as he turns and freaks out - BAM.

Anyway I LOVE Empires Mod game. Seems like there is always something new to learn. Recently I've been watching some of you guys from Spec to see how you play. And I learn from that and what I hear. Thanks for your initial patience and my training. I venture to help newbs learn although they are such a pain in the arse. ;) But I understand the learning takes time.

I'm a professional programmer and own JustGoFly.com for fun. I mostly code drivers for printers in C++, Digital Communications Architect. Basically anything that goes across most wires - I can tell you exactly how to fix it. USB, Network, SCSI, 1394, 1284, ... It has consumed me for a very long time. I designed all the network apps for Kodak in the Inkjet business. Recently working in Scanners for Kodak (Inkjet went belly up) - my new job is Windows MVC 4 dev, C# web interface to scanners. I'll be leading a team that is developing our new interface to scanners.

Vinnie: AKA JustGoFly
    If you want to see what else I do for fun just search YouTube for JustGoFly.com. Here is a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eQN3Mw_nns

2. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I saw you play quite a few times, you seemed like a nice guy from what I could tell (and quite competent too)

Not being invited to the pug probably has nothing to do with people not liking you as I make it a point to invite even those I don't like. Nowadays we use the vet pug group to organize these events and you are probably not in it, which is why you didn't know about the pug.

I'll send you an invite now though, and if other lurkers want it just drop me a message trough steam.

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Hey, it's always nice to have a new coder on this forum. Make sure to stop by the offtopic forum. :)

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Nice to see a new guy actually coming to introduce himself on the forum. If you ever want any information, most people around here are pretty helpful, so just make a thread or PM someone.

Small bit of advice though: Don't trust everything you hear in spec. There's a fair bit of misinformation that circles around in the spec discussions. So if you have any questions based off what you've heard, feel free to throw them up here.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Good to have you here justgofly. I have seen you in game for a long time, hope to see you at the next pug or maybe at the playtest for the new version (signup for access)

6. Trickster

Yeah, I'd thoroughly recommend getting involved with testing. We're hopefully having a large playtest next weekend, and we'll need all the players we can get.

7. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Thanks for the hearty invite guys. Great bunch of games today, and more tomorrow. I've been playing for a while now and have learned what I need to be a decent player. But some of the things I need more info on are armour. I think Regen is best against Bio - is that due to it being under Bio research ?
    What about the other Armour, should I assume the same concept ?
    Absorbant against HE/Missiles ? These from Chem branch.

I'm looking forward to being part of the Beta testing. I posted a note in the other forum - thanks for the link AzK.

PredatoR - I'll check out the vet pug group and looking for you online.

Trickster - I'm not sure if we've played together. But maybe on the Beta test.

Vinnie

8. Trickster

I'm not really able to play regularly these days since I moved abroad this year, so you won't have played with me. I'll be on a lot more around Christmas. I'll be in next week's playtest as well (hopefully).

With regard to balance, you've turned up at an odd time really. Traditionally, Regen was always the weakest against Bio, by a considerable margin. It had been that way for about 6 years. But you'll notice the "RC6" in the server titles right now. Both main servers are running testscripts which change balance from the stock version considerably. This is for testing the next patch and hopefully getting things right for then. You can find descriptions for the armours here:

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=16888

It's worth mentioning that the ingame descriptions aren't accurate as of these RC tests. On top of that, if you go onto "Create Server" and test yourself, you'll find that Regen is actually weak against bio. That's because these testscripts are serverside only, and don't affect you once you leave that server. The next patch will have the changes in fully, as well as updated descriptions.

9. communism

communism poof

thx for inviting me to test group fgt

10. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Awesome, I always love to see other people having the same enjoyment of RC planes. I'm toying around in a whole shittier class of planes though because of financial limitations, X-Twin Speedy Plus f. ex.

unrelated: Do you have any experience in stepper motor music? :)

11. w00kie

felt like this deserves its own post

Vinnie, just in case you haven't noticed: Compared to the communities size empires is super global: We have USA-lers, Canadians, Germans, Finish, Swedish, Norsk, Polacks, Russ, Frenchmen, Italians, Brits, Irish, Bavarians, Austrians, Taiwanese, Czechs, ... and even a pair of real-life females :headshot: and BELGICANS and Netherhighlanders etc. etc. :rolleyes:

So asking for an opinion in OT-part will most likely leave you with an insight about foreign peoples retarded vision of things :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  12. Silk

Silk Mapper

You forgot most of us ... the belgians !!

And i almost mean that seriously, i keep finding out about people that they all live close by.

Solokiller who helped me out a lot with maps in the past lives very close to where i live
    Beerdude lives not that far away either,
    Rappemongo, who made excellent pine trees for me for emp_chain, lives only about 5 miles from here
    When Blizzerd needed some help a few days ago, i found out he doesn't live that far away either
    I don't know where exactly Paradox lives, but i remember him living in Belgium so it can't be that far either.

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

JustGoFly U my favourite.
    Everyone else is all old and haggard.
    Fxxk U everyone else.

14. w00kie

You are the new player we have been waiting for, let's just hope your learning curve doesn't derail into prince of boomtanking :) I even enjoyed looking after you and your team last night.

15. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

LOL you guys are too much. AZK rocks and fortunately puts up with my rants. Truly the gentleman of Empires.

Getting to know you guys a bit more will be cool through these forums. I know many of your online names. Although I think some use different online names than is in the forums.

Very cool that this is such an international game. I know when I say something (voice) to someone and get no answer it may be that they are a damn Ruskie ;) As long as they are not Scottish I'm good :). Actually being American, I have friends from many different nationalities and cultures which is one thing I love about the States. We get to enjoy all without bias. I say that about Scottish only because I laughed at a guy who had pure contempt against my parents heritage of Irish. I honestly do not have a bigotted bone in my body. I walk into this guys office and say "How ya doing, we'll be working together and I thought I'd stop over and say hi". He says : "Your Irish - eh ?". I say "Yep", he says "We hate the Irish". I pause in disbelief and say with a big grin - "How many of you are back there?". We got along just fine. Only Scott I ever met.

I have a couple Ukranian buddies and both are so different. One likes to push my buttons and they other is the nicest guy in the world. I fly R/C jets with both and love to outfly the button pusher. He love speed and I love passing him while flying inverted.

Anyway - I endeaver to learn from each of you how to get those kill and point counts up. I can come in second only to find first place vet has doubled everything on me.

I had some newbs shadow me last night and it was excellent. Seemed like I ran in a circle and turned around and two guys from the start were right on my ass. They learned how to fend off the enemy and push hard. I enjoyed that and we all played better pushing over buildings and winning the match.

Nothing stronger than one or two engineer with revive, a rifleman and gren. Stick together and cover each other and win.

Still learning...
    Vinnie

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  16. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Hey, I think I've seen you on Empires.

Your microphone is a bit soft.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  17. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Been lurking for about a month on these forums, JustGoFly joined and I figured, hey, might as well join myself. Figured I'd make my debut here on his post and not start a new thread. Trying to steal some thunder :D

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Thunder stolen, welcome to the community!

19. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

We will now derail this thread and talk about how awesome you are, even though none of us would have ever seen you before because nobody here plays the game.

In 6 months, we'll chant "ONE OF US! ONE OF US!" as you too, uninstall Empires.

20. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Awesome name, no pun intended.

Silence or I shall have the dogs sent on you!