Heavy Tanks

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Ikalx, Apr 7, 2014.

1. FN198

FN198 Member

tank turret rotation in infantry/vehicle balance is very, fucking complex. there's a lot more that would have to go into this than merely changing the max speed at which a turret can turn.

2. Juice

Juice Member

Like all balancing, it is achieved by trial and error and it has to start with something.

LT + APC: turret rotation @ current rate
    Med: Turret rotation 75% of current rate
    Heavies: 25% of current rate.

See where that leads us. Of course it's not going to be spot on right off the bat. But we have to start somewhere.

3. FN198

FN198 Member

It would be simplest to make them all move at the same speed. Also, vehicle weapon damage would have to be significantly increased to make up for the loss of time in aiming.

4. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

idk heavies cost a lot

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

idk heavies also offer a lot

6. Juice

Juice Member

The whole point of reducing the heavy turret rotation speed the most, is that it is not used as offensively as med and LTs. But performs a more defensive roll as a weapon platform engaging targets from range

If an LT would be able to drive around a heavy tank faster then the heavy is able to rotate it's turret, the LT can take out the heavy. This demands more tactics and skill from tankists and would make the game more fun imo

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

My view of tank rolls:

Light tank:
    Short range Hit N' Run tank with light damage. Takes out APC's and jeeps easy since it can chase after them somewhat. Able to run circles around heavy tanks since heavy tanks can not keep up (or aim fast enough if they get the aim speed reduction). Medium tanks and troops are its weakness.
    Tank Weapon Types: MG, Cannon

Medium tank:
    Short-Med range tank. The mainstay of any tank battalion. No outright weakness since its a jack of all trades tank.
    Tank Weapon Types: MG, Cannon, ML

Heavy tank:
    Med-Long range. The destroyer of tanks and buildings. LT's and troops are its weaknesses.
    Tank Weapon Types: Cannon, ML

8. Juice

Juice Member

Nailed it!
    Now go do your code magic

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

With that idea however, the Light Tank will be super ineffective with a 1-slot cannon. Also, I kinda like that they have ML abilities, even though it doesn't fit the model...actually it doesn't fit any model but whatever. If you gave it a 2-slot MG that could work though.

I do think there's something to be said for removing the MG from the heavy tank, though. It's interesting, if nothing else.

10. ViroMan

Its true the lite tank would be less effective without a ML but, as you say... it could be augmented with a dual MG slot, OR just go with the fact that the LT is not meant to deal out tons of damage and it is fast and cheap as shit.

Removal of the MG for heavy makes it fit the Med to long range idea better. Gives RPG troops more advantage to take them out as well. I toyed with the idea of making the heavy tank almost as slow as a solder with speed upgrade while running then I found I was getting too upset trying to reach from one corner to the opposite corner of the map of isle. ATM I am thinking of maxing heavy speed at around 50. Comments?

11. flasche

i killed 2.12 railheavies with superlights ...

... admitably with poor or greedy drivers in them. anyway, different turret turn rates really would make a huge difference as long as there is enough space to maneuver. my concern would be AFVs though, they are no real match for lts.

12. ViroMan

agreed... they need a new model. They are just too damn big and as such an easy target to just run up to an pound ass on with a lt.

13. flasche

also please dont remove mls from lts - especially not for 2slot mgs. i hate mgs and i absolutely love mls.

14. ViroMan

get a med tank?

15. flasche

but ml :|ove:

also is there actually any reasoning behind this or is this just because you can? if its because it should not have 3 weapons, which i could understand, make it a weight choice like with superlights?

16. ViroMan

I am not messing with vehicles in any way other, then the way they drive. I will leave things like that to trickster and gang unless they want me too. Writing up a ton of notes on vehicles again... since they got wiped out.

17. flasche

oh, i meant the more general you.

hitting with mgs just isnt as rewarding as with mls - or even cns.

18. ViroMan

true that however, ML's doesn't fit with the general idea of a lite tank vehicle while, MG's would, and it goes to emphasize the nature of LITE damage output.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I have a great idea, ask one of our modeller guys to just scale the AFV down a little until it's only slightly larger than the NF LT.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I haven't come close to killing a heavy with a light tank in ages. Ages. It used to be something you could do if really skilled, but now...no.

I was wondering about AFV's...whether you could just cut out the middle and make it shorter, or cut out the back and make it less long. Although...I seem to remember there being another model for AFV's?