HEAT shell (not the uk mag)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by angry hillbilly, Apr 15, 2008.

1. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I was playing WIC (World in Conflict) and suddnly saw how good HEAT shells are. I think this would be a very good weapon in empires. Cant think of any other way to describe it but here is the WIKi def:

High-explosive, anti-tank (HEAT)
    HEAT shells are a type of shaped charge used to defeat armoured vehicles. They are extremely efficient at defeating plain steel armour but less so against later composite and reactive armour. The effectiveness of the shell is independent of its velocity, and hence the range: it is as effective at 1000 metres as at 100 metres. A HEAT charge is most effective when detonated at a certain, optimal, distance in front of the target and HEAT shells are usually distinguished by a long, thin nose probe sticking out in front of the rest of the shell and detonating it at the correct distance, e.g., PIAT bomb. HEAT shells are less effective if spun ( i.e., fired from a rifled gun ).

Could be an interesting addition to Empires arsanal of weapons ^^

(i have highlighted of what it would be good for, could also be cool for the AT guns Don was talking about not to long ago) ^^

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Oh my god. No spelling mistakes!

KILLX gives angry hillbilly a cookie

3. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

YAY cookie!!! :D:D:D:D

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

HE does practically the same thing, hell, the only real difference between the HE shells and the real HEAT shells is the name and the fact that in games it's more balanced.

5. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

hmm that distance description made me think of some new shell type:
    how about er shells that would gain damage with flight time(distance to target).
    really fast projectiles with a small er like ark and a long reload time(almost no heat).
    at "zero" range they should do same dmg as standart cannons and something like 150 damage at max range, but without any splash. i think this would make some interesting team work situations with walls to hold enemies at distance and friendly tanks with other weapons to work as protectors.
    whaddaya think?

6. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Nice idea, call it a backwards rail cannon, gains speed the more distence it travals :p

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It is impossible for something to gain power when it travels longer distances, as everything slows down with range.

8. KILLX

KILLX Banned

But, but, what about fun over realism :cry:

9. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

What about a shaped charge there very good at AT but usless vs reactive

10. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Do you even understand the current armour modifiers? IIRC, reactive is useless against HE.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

There isn't any point in adding new warheads which deal damage to some types of armour but not to others when you already have enough types of
    warheads which deal different damage to different types of armour.

Also, if your original suggestion doesn't works out, don't try to bend and twist it until it does, think about it until you find something that's good, then post it, otherwise you're just extending the life of threads with no actual purpose.
    If you want to get a good idea, make sure to mention that you're trying to find something that fits a certain role, and that you're going to discuss it.

12. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

What is good vs reactive? :eek:

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Got it backwards. I meant Reactive is useless against HE.

14. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

when i was typing that idea i thought of typing "in be4 ballisticfags" well i shouldve typed it apparently

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

A more perminant AT type of a cannon would be great; there have been discussions in the past about an actual AT tank chassis, that does very high damage to tanks, but has no splash so it's useless against infantry...

And the idea of a cannon that does more damage the longer it travels is also interesting, possobly the perk of the ranged cannon, it would make for some interesting strategic choices, as right now most cannons are mostly for the same range...

So; a fast travling AT deticated shell would make sense...

16. Demented

Demented Member

You don't recall correctly. =P
    Reactive is the strongest armor in nearly every case.
    It's just expensive and heavy.

HE is almost as good as a railgun in most instances, and just as good if not minutely better when fighting absorbant. It also excels at killing infantry and turrets.

17. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

It was mostly a quote from wiki :P

But I guess this could be cool, but this is more of a reason to pick composite armor, which everyone picks already..

18. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Create a shell which as rocket fuel in it too. When you fire the shell out of a cannon the fuel catches fire and when the shell has travelled a bit its speed boost even more with the propulsion which the rocket part of it gives to it. ;D

19. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

also i could imagine that a shells hull would heat up extremely while travelling at a high speed and would gain additional dmg through that heat

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Giving a shell fuel makes it a missile. Anti-tank shells use the explosion to generate heat for penetrating through armour, using heat achieved during flight would only reduce the effectiveness of anti-tank explosives.