healing tank gun

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Reef, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Reef

Reef Member

An idea just popped into my head. MG-like or missile-like bio-gun that heals friendly tanks by splashing regen armor tissue on the target. How would that affect gameplay? People would squad up a few tanks with one 'healing' tank for every few 'fighting' tanks. It could be expensive and more efficient than engineers (note: there will be less engineers because of the e-build thing from now on). It could have limited range etc.

IMO it would promote teamplay.

I discussed it with Mootant, he confirmed that it's not hard to do and suggested that We should make it even just to test how it will affect the game even if We wouldn't eventually release it.

Things that would be required to do it are:
    - code support for negative damage (so it gets applied to friendly units, and only to friendly units; doesn't overflow giving more armor it should etc)
    - an effect (bio ML splash with it's color changed to yellow could do it for testing purposes)
    - a piece of script

Questions:
    - should it heal damaged/sabbed buildings too?
    - should it heal enemies if accidently used on them?
    - other thoughts?

EDIT: nanobots instead of bio material for BE?

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about a tank built out for raw damage with like 10 healing tanks behind it healing each other and the tank back up and then moving forward?

its interesting though

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I would recommend if andthing that this weapon be put on the apc grenade slot or some such, a utility slot. Not such a fan of sticking these kinds of weapons on regular tanks. It would fit better with apcs doing this supporting role rather than tanks, and having a cannon or missle that heals your guys just seems rather silly. You could make it like a beam weapon like tf2 medics have or something.

4. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Also something coming with high velocity and mass at you should do damage and not heal, I don't like this idea and this thread should be discussed in the suggestions forum imo.
    Agreed, move to suggestions ~Kylegar

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
  5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

we could make an "tf2" like effect coming from the tank, no?

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

it would be too imba if it affected a large radius, like a normal cannon/missile, have it like a mg where you shoot nanobots/biologic material at only 1 plate of armor. But this isn't needed, tanks need to die for the game to progress, anyone can just drive back to base to the repair station or a local engineer, not sit there shooting while being attacked but not dieing.

Its good for the team using it but what about the team fighting against it?

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

no

no[​IMG]

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Sounds good, but it shouldn't look like a gun at all, perhaps something like a beam of some sorts.

10. Drag

Drag Member

Only if it does not work x seconds after the tank has been hit. Healing while in combat is very odd, don't you think?

Also I think it would only fit in well if there is a kind of a two man minimum - utility vehicle (could be APC/AFV like vehicle without spawns)

The class of the man in the passenger seat would change the function of the vehicle.

Engineer would get your odd repairgun. Scunt (if still in) would act as a hidden enemy scout detector or radar. Grenadier would get a longer range turret mounted mowtar. Rifleman could get pimped accuracy in turret, faster reload times or something.

I want to stress the fact that they would still be open to enemy infantry fire, so they remain a support unit.

11. zenarion

zenarion Member

Test it, see if it breaks the game.

12. flasche

its basically the same as healing nades. i fail to see why you didnt like those then?

engies and repair pads repair tanks ..

13. Vaun

Vaun Member

How about some sort of APC upgrade/research/etc that removes it abillity to act as a spawn point, but allows it to heal vehicles in a small radius around it. It could also heal infantry and (debatable) stop sabbing and heal buildings.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i have been tossing the idea around of making the grenade slot a "support" slot

the idea is of having apc re-spawn be a 3 slot weapon that goes in the current grenade slot

the healing gun would also be a 3 slot weapon for the grenade slot

+ ofc all the grenades

15. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Engineer weld anyone?

16. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

changing the engineer weld to something different is already a planned item, just need to decide to what(floating '+' signs or w/e) and implemented.

I'm not so sure about making APC spawn a slot item, we want to encourage players to spawn forward as often as possible. I think if we did this it would be alot like researching APC spawns, happens but not all that often. And if you made them choose over other things for support they would never use the others.

But the grenade slot for support slot could be expanded, if were going to having a healing beam weapon why not a repair beam weapon. This would allow other classes besides engr to repair. At an obvious cost though, of about 300 res. Specially if we had the e build idea up and running, give APCs a gun that works exactly like repair kit. This would allow players to help the support role in a limited way without having to change class, and obviously add new dynamics to the game. Instead of running around repairing refs or other far distanced buildings as an engr running around, it would all of a sudden be more economical to use a repair apc(less time wasted). Which players like more as well since they then dont have to waste as much of their time on mundane tasks, as well as the fact it would make the mundane task funner.

As well that there would probably be more apcs on the front line with tanks repairing them, this serves 2 purposes then. Would encourage apcs closer to the line of fire to provide the support(more likely to die themselves) and provide even further up spawn points for your team to go the the meat grinder(we like meat grinders actually! the more combat the better).

I cant help but imagine apcs running around with gluon gun beams shooting out of them with these ideas.

[​IMG]

This doesnt seem like too difficult an idea to implement, maybe we try it. and if it fails well it fails w/e it gets removed. It would add alot more support role ability for players, which is good for less skilled players aware enough to support better skilled players when they dont know what to do, or mediocre players amplifying each other.

17. communism

communism poof

Probably the best post here so far.
    Yes it might break it, or it could fill a niche and make the game funner...its not a super shit idea like LAZERS ON SCOUT SO I DUN MISS PLS

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

[​IMG]

Make it spread for multiple tank action!

19. flasche

i died a little inside - havent half of you just recently argued about how frontline repairs for tanks and all sucks?

20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

You must be kidding. While you are at it, implement ubercharged tanks aswell.