Headshots

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Private Sandbag, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Will these be implemented in the forseeable future?

i see it as a good idea: you can choose to either go for the headshot or the guarenteed body shot. it would only do 2 times damage, nothing major.

pros:
    -combat is more varied (therefore interesting?)
    -offers something for pro's to aim for
    -gives you something to line your shot up with with your first shot.

cons:
    -irritating deaths, especially when an ok grenadier can headshot an inexperienced rifleman
    -more randomness / less strategic gameplay. the more you give each individual player to be able to do damage, the more pro's can dominate and inexperienced players get left behind.

alternatives:
    -only some weapons can do headshots (think unreal tornament), such as sniper rifles.
    -headshots only possible at certain ranges, depending on gun. therefore a sniper could headshot you from a distance, but a pistol can only get a headshot if you're at a pretty close distance (such as if you were actually going to shoot them from behind)
    -only the facial area that is not covered by the helmet offering headshots.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    another mini idea that i had, was:
    if you:
    - aim your crosshair in pretty much the same area for a bit (4 seconds?)
    - the "accelleration" of your crosshair doesn't go above a certain different value
    - for those that can, you go into iron sight
    - you do not move
    - you are not damaged during the build up to it

... then, you go into "accuracy mode". this is where your crosshair comes right together, and you can get one burst off really really accurate. this would be good for if you sneak up behind someone and want to get an excellent shot off, but it wouldn't be hugely useful for during most combat.

2. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music) Member

If I wanted headshots I would play CS:S.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

the other day i snuck up behind some dude and put 3 pistol bullets into the back of his head and then he turned around and shot my feet with the BEAR and killed me instantly

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Thats happened to me, but I'm pretty ok with the pistol so it happens when I'm pistol whipping normaly

5. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Your low velocity small arm probably didn't penetrate his helmet. ;O

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I don't think headshots would be a bad thing. Maybe have a limit on the range at which they can occur, to prevent lucky shots. Certainly not insta-kills either, like sandbag said just a 2x multiplier or something.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lol.. i think that if your putting bullets into someones head 3 inches away it should atleast be a 2 shot kill no matter what gun it is

8. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

This may have to be manditory if used. Think the BE weapons are inherently more accuret than NF. The NF weapons are anoyingly inaccuret as it is now but make it so that only one side can get headshots unless they are point blank...

9. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

unless we take the head models off of the NF?

10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I really like the arcade-y feel of the weapons at the moment. It feels very much like a RTS game in the first person.

11. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I like the idea of headshots, for the record. In the current version of the game, there are some limitations, however. I think we can all agree that giving the CURRENT scout rifle the ability to do double damage is just fucking insane. HOWEVER, given that it's getting nerfed, I don't see this issue in the future. Also, in the CURRENT versioin of the game, does the BE AR, and to a lesser extent, the NF AR REALLY need headshots? They can drop you in half a second, as is. No reason to do so, other than to give them the ability to snipe/fire while standing as WELL as splooge bullets like there's no tomorrow. Again, this may change in 1.08.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

if headshots were implemented, body damage would likely be toned down a tad to compensate.

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I hate headshots. While they're handy, they often make it ten times harder to kill an enemy as a newbie. Compare it with someone who's good with the mortar versus an inexperienced rifleman, or an inexperienced grenadier. The newbie will most likely get raped 8 times out of 10.

14. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

And hows that any differnt from now or with ANY other game?

Edit: Just thought of this. How about only for ceirtian weapons like pistols, or melee?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  15. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I sure hope not. Headshots are a crappy design choice :)

16. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Headshots are reality. Unless the BE have somehow engineered the brain to be in your ass rather than your head, headshots should be there.

They don't have to be like they are in CS, but I think its pretty bad not having them at all. If you can, really mess with hitboxes - feet give next to no damage, legs and arms do more, chest does the most damage (of body shots) and a HS is something like double damage.

If at all possible (I'm afraid to suggest this, it might be something worth adding for an alpha build to see if it is any good) is to make it so being shot in the feet/legs slows you down until you are healed. (God...I'll never forget back when I first played Deus Ex in 2000, and blew my own legs off with a explosive barrel. I was walking around on stumps until I found a medical bot to somehow magically give me my legs back.)

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I'm with this guy ^^

most shots are going to be at a distance so you aim for the body, but when you get to that middle distance you get the choice to either go for body or head. that's what i used to think empires was like, and i loved it.

head damage should be x1.5 imho.

18. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

If anyone wanted headshots for the realism/reasonability part then he should also want accurately simulated body armor and helmet, blood loss, various problems resulting from wounds (like worse accuracy, blurred vision), shock, unconsciousness, loss of extremities, damage based on the probability of hitting vital structures, decreasing penetration over distance and more i can't think of atm.

Have a look at CS:S what headshots are like without mentioned features.
    afaik CS:S has a 2x or 3x damage modificator.

Just tossing in "one part realism" doesn't make a better game.
    The lack of all mentioned features however, including headshots,
    balances quite well.

(Yes, I know some of the features are implemented in either Empires or CS:S to some extend .. but I'm talking about completely and properly)

19. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

TBH, the only reason i ever play 2142 is because it is so freakin fun to take the advanced sniper and see how well you can get your bullets used:people killed ratio.

But, i was playing Red Steel with my brother, and i was running away from a door, he was across the courtyard from the door with a pistol. He fired off one shot at a wierd angle and hit me through the door, through the head, killing me -.O

20. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

From what I remember Krenzo posting, in planes, you'll be able to have blackouts. I never said account for blood loss and all - there are games that take stuff like that into account. One is AA. A game which I have grown to hate. I'm not saying implement everything. I AM saying to implement PARTS. Yes, I know about armor and all, but look at armor - you have the majority on your chest - what you have on your head is considerably less.