HDR support in Empires?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Darg, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Darg

Darg Member

Very odd.. It looks like the specular values have been increased a lot. From what I know pp_bloom is Krenzos own blooming effect as I haven't seen the variable in other mods that I know of. Basically the brighter the pixel the more it blurs onto other pixels around it. Not true HDR but a nice effect if you can afford the FPS drop.

mat_bloom I assume is a similiar effect for materials but I may be wrong. mat_specular just turns on and off the specular shiny effect on materials.

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Set pp_bloom to 0. All of the Empires related bloom cvars are using Garry's bloom shader which has nothing to do with valve's HDR. In fact, I remember commenting out Valve's implementation of HDR, so even if it were supported, it wouldn't work in Empires until I added it back in.

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

So I know this is a bump or something but Krenzo would it be much work to re-enable HDR support? The same problems is still around. Also from a distance the models return to their normal state. I was wondering why from up close they color white and from far they get their normal colors.

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

We're using Valve's HDR in 1.08.

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

Thats great to hear, cause me and Silk were depending on HDR support for our maps.
    BTW ere you going to leave that pp_bloom thing in?

6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

All of the "pp_" commands will be removed along with Garry's bloom shader.

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

So ... when this map is done, all i have to do is turn off hdr (in empires, not the map) untill 1.08 is released , than enable it again when it is released, and the map should look fine without me having to change anything?

Hmm... except buildcubemap maybe ... not sure if i have to do that again.

Edit: apparantly after compiling the map it seems as if the env_tonemap_controller doesn't get recognized. I wanted to use that entity to overwrite the default HDR values (triggered by an logic_auto entity). Anyone knows what the problem could be, or another way to overwrite the HDR values?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007