Harryhoot's Money

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Deadpool, May 7, 2012.

1. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

2. Apex

Apex Member

Harryhoot's anything.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I like his Azuretowers edit.

But I agree with the sentiments on every other map he's done.

4. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I actually start liking those new gondolas, the rest is stool.

5. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

shit map and he wont realize or admit it's bad, we even had multiple votes to let the public vote for it if it was bad or not, 65 percent or more always said it was shit.

6. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

I noticed that no one here has given ideas on how to improve it, they just straight out called it shit. Nothing is going to get better if you just whine about it. I would say 'complain' but that would imply that you guys actually gave me legit reasons why you don't like the map.

And please, the "too much going on" thing? You learned Empires' steep learning curve, and all of a sudden capturing a few flags with boats becomes too much?

Edit: This is the part where you guys give me ideas for improvement.
    Also move this to mapping section please.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  7. Apex

Apex Member

Remove gates
    Remove blimps/aircraft/blimps/boats/blimps
    Choose a map other than money to work off of or make a new map that doesn't have gimmicky props.
    Haven't played azuretower, but congratulations on making something that looks more like an official map than a minigames map.

8. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

Ok, why?

9. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

CAUSE THEY SUCK.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

There's no reason why anyone needs to explain.

If you want to know how to improve your maps, take every single thing out of them, start from scratch, rebuild it into something that is not stupid.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i can only speak for your money. the point why i think its shit is that it devides players in two.
    raise the water so you can swim from side to side with idk, 5 ladders up, leave all the rest of the gimicky stuff and it at least isnt worse then money currently is.

i probably cannot really judge old azure towers either. its just another quite random capture and hold map - to me they all are the same. ive played way better in other games - and its not why im playing empires.

12. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

@Paradox and Grantrithor, please leave this thread and don't come back.

@flasche, I'll add more ladders that connect the lower level to the upper level.

One of the problems of the old money is that infantry is nearly useless in the late game, and it's not very fun for people who prefer infantry combat. So I added the lower level for infantry and left the upper level relatively alone for people who wanted emp_money's vehicle combat.

Now if everyone is done with "this sucks" "map is shite" "only solution is deletion" "zomg I hate u".
    Please give me real reasons you don't like the map, give a solution, and why the solution is a good idea.

This community.....ಠ_ಠ

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I don't like this map because it's just a remake of a map that's already really stupid and it's full of random crap that just dumbs down the game, the experience, and the whole player base. The solution is to stop making maps like this and to actually create something real where the fun doesn't last only for 10 minutes and doesn't clog server votes. It's only obvious that the amount of people who'd rather not play your crap filled maps signify why you should stop making them. The solution is a good idea because it stops Empires from further deteriorating into complete garbage and keeps the experience at a maximum. It's evident that the second a shitty map comes on everyone flees to spectator or closes Empires to do more better things with their time.

No I will not leave this thread, you did not create it.

14. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

Looks like you're not done with, "this sucks" "map is shite" "only solution is deletion" "zomg I hate u"

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I do not see those words in my post.

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Money sucked to begin with - really badly, its just that everyone got used to it. I have played maybe 2 good games of Money and in both cases each side made an early rush and the map control ended up being split North/South instead of East/West. Personally I actually prefer money_hh as it stands right now, its a good stab at mixing infantry and tank combat together all round long which is very difficult to do.

Removing long range arty from Money is good full stop. A near water tight base & long range arty that means you don't have to leave it is a terrible idea.

What follows is my own musings after having played hh_6 about 3x now with about 3 full squads on each side.

I think the gates work - I think it would be nice to have some kind of short delay & an audible / visual queue that your gate is about to drop down. Maybe some flashing beacons or something above the gates to rally the tanks in the surrounding area to defend.

In orginal Money to patch broken defenses usually means 2 or more engineers get the dull, repetative job of wall spamming and repairing armouries - It doesn't really make for exciting gameplay and certainly doesn't encourage teamwork. In Money_hh you have the option to give your team the tank advantage using infantry - this kind of situational objective does actually encourage some coordination & teamwork, opening the enemy gates is only worth while when you have tanks to back that up so you need to time it right. Those flags gives kind of waves of tank attacks which forces people to switch between defending / attacking stances.

The gondolas are fine, it is nice to have a way for infantry to reach the middle. But the platform to get on to them sucks. Those tiny little square blocks with titchy ladders look half baked & the shacks look out of place - make a platform with some steps & change the little shacks, a little more detail here would go a long way to making it look like it was meant to be there rather than tacked on.

The consoles over the top of the platform lifts that go down to the dock appear to just be floating in mid air or on top of that glass that you can't walk on and they look kind of wierd when the platform is down the bottom.

There's too much stuff going on, both visually & gameplay wise. I don't think it needs a bleeder (dock is a bleeder right or did I imagine that?) but in any case stop people making engineer buildables down there. I'm pretty sure I've seen people take that flag and then wall fort it. I think the capture points in no mans land already give infantry plenty to do down there.

Remove some of the stuff in the middle or push it a little it further in towards the center - I think there is a bit too much cover for infantry to sticky tanks whilst only being exposed for a second or so. Also I'm not a huge fan of the HL2 models in terms of appearance

I don't understand the vehicle lifts outside the gates, I don't like the idea of being able to retreat once over the top. Maybe make it a little bigger so the commander can put a repair pad down there instead? or just loose it completely.

Overall I would say just try and simplify it a little and add small detailing if you want to jazz up the look/feel of the map. Money definitely benefits from some of the stuff added but I think maybe you threw too much at it at once.

There... Now you can move this to the mapping forum.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well the truth in grants ramblings is, empires needs empires gameplay. there are other games that play out much nicer with CaH.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I LOVE the anti arty guns they are a god send from base - base arty shelling.
    I am NOT fond of the gates down in the water area. everything else is cool with me except as noted by azk about the gondolas.

19. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

Would having big text in the middle of everyone's screens work?
    I'll add flashing lights and a sound to let people know the gates are lowering.

Yeah the platforms were made simply to get players up to the gondola with no detail in mind. I'll make it look better. Instead of a shack, should I just add supports for the gondola just like in azuretowers?

The console is on top of the glass so I guess it gives the illusion that it's floating. I'll add a concrete frame around the glass.

Yes, there's a bleeder at the dock flags. I'll add an engineer restrict brush around the dock flag to stop the wall forting and make it easier to take back. The bleeder is there to discourage camping at the water flags north and south. Mobility is key.

Should I add simple concrete bunkers instead of those combine ones? And I guess I could move the bunkers a bit closer to the center.

Yeah, no one ever uses the elevator. I'll make room for a repair station there. Better yet, I'll make a prebuilt one there.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I use the elevator... to get into the enemy base. >:)