hard reset of forums on steam release

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Feb 5, 2011.

?

do eeeeeet

1. yes

44.7%
  2. maybe/i am undecided, posibly i posted a reason in the thread why

5.3%
  3. no, the drama must remain preserved forever for our offspring to marvle at

50.0%
  1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

nothing of value will be lost, plus there will be a chance of losing a lot of cancer and drama and be replaced by positive input by new people

yes, im talking about:

-all posts and threads
    -all user accounts info (but accounts themselves could remain to prevent taking on peoples identities)
    -all infractions lower then 3 points

remains:
    -bans
    -forum layout, unless changed
    -rules
    -inportant threads made by admins or just really usefull stickies that get ported over

just polling out of intrest in the community

2. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wat, no this is stupid.

You know the quote "Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it"? This forum has grown over the past 5 years to the state it is now and everything in it is part of Empires identity. For better or worse.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

A few select stupid threads should be LOCKED, not deleted, and then just die out over the next few weeks. That's cleanup. This, is overkill. Snailhole/Rainbow paradise should probably be sorted out a bit.

But nothing more than that. Besides, an active forum with lots of users makes us look more active.

4. communism

communism poof

clan section has so much old fun drama too, how dare you sir.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I say there should be a preemptive ban for the worst offenders (Hamster, Alucard, Zeke, Kane) in the first weeks after steam release. Maybe this way we can fake a mature and responsible community and therefore attract new forum members that are not addicted to anime.

6. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

As I said in two other threads already:

SWING THE BANHAMMER AND
    :)

Also we should watch ourselves to stop derailing threads, may it be on purpose or unintended.

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

This is as useful as all those "Hey, let's remove inactive users!"-Threads :)

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

No. Within 2 days the whole forum will be worse than ever. Except there will be nothing of any use to read.
    "First post whoring" & a million "aircraft with death lazors" threads anyone?

Just divert the trolls to a honeypot forum.... although this may mean it becomes the active forum.

But do get rid of the rubbish captcha questions in signup. I played for 2 years before signing up on the forums and it took me a couple of attempts and was just plain annoying.

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Preemptive strike;
    "increase captcha complexity" joke is not funny.

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Personally, I think this is the best option.

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I think the troll will just come with the swarm. plus there's a lot of cool stuff in community content that should be preserved, like abandoned WiP models, cool fan fiction, and the maps.

Plus your options are VERY biased, the affirmative is simply "yes", neutral is just neutral, but the negative clearly states that it's all drama and whatever when there's a lot of other stuff that does have a place here.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yes because resetting the forums will entirely reset the personality of everyone in them and won't simply fill them with stupid crap about the reset.

Jesus christ this is a terrible idea.

13. [KM] The Corpse

[KM] The Corpse Member

Archive the bug reports bar anything outstanding.

14. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I say yes as long as you keep; Suggestions, Support, News, Bugs (If someone bothers, delete threads with bugs that are fixed), Beta section and everything under community content.

Maybe some threads in the Clans section, but delete most of those "harr harr new clan that gun beat ur ass LOL XDD" threads.

Delete the rest (or temporary delete them). This forum could use a new start, even though A LOT of funny shit will be gone.
    Also, be more strict when it comes to bans and infractions. Don't want this forum to end up attracting anime faggots and just wait for them to slowly consume our poor forum.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

on forums these type of suggestions are usually made by 14 year olds.

16. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

Forums should be locked with a master password that you can get only after getting 10 points in an empires game.

17. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Archive everything, create a forum "Pre-2011", put everything in there and make it the top forum. Looks still active with over 10000 threads and it is still cleaned up.
    :p

18. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Why would you reset a forum just because the game gets released on steam,
    it's not like this forum wasn't open to puplic all the time and the forum itself doesn't get released on steam either, so imo there's nothing we have to hide.
    Also, basically what leet muffin said, especially suggestions shouldn't be ever touched, or we will go through EVERYTHING again.
    Same goes for art section, clans, gameplay, support and news.

I might say that now for the third time, but w/e, LOCK MISC for nonregistered visitors. There's no need for a not logged in visitor to watch anything not gamerelated on a game forum.

And along that, change the testers forums to being only seen by testers, since half of the bugs descriped in there are in the older versions, too.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  19. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

theres no need to reset the forums, so why do it? plus nostalgia.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Just do what has been done and moderate the forums with due diligence. There is no need for retarded sections with fuzzy rules that let people moan and whine about admin abuse.