Hammer problem!

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Grantrithor, May 1, 2010.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

[​IMG]

What the crap where is the grid someone help me on this one!

2. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

3. pastori

pastori Creator of huge bridges

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Why the hell do updates always screw hammer over so much in every way! It didn't work though.

edit: Nevermind it worked thanks for the link.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  5. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Update: Despite the second update Valve recently pushed out for the Source SDK, some of the lingering bugs are still prevalent (no grid lines, random crashing, freezing up). So we're still better off running the pre-update binaries.

[​IMG]

6. pastori

pastori Creator of huge bridges

For me the new choice of SDK 2007 works fine with empires, the 2009 one is, afaik, for l4d, l4d2 and such.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

how you get empires to show up in sourcesdk2007, for me it showed up by in sourcesdk2009 by default?
    then i thought id be smart and set SKDVersion from 4 to 3 (as i thought this would set it to 2007), but once i start SDK, it gets reset to 4 :eek:

would you be so kind to post your gameinfos? (both the one in empires and the one in sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin)

oh and btw, the "fix" demented (guess it was you?) posted, where you set the ToolsAppID to 440, worked basically, but hammer crashed more then usually (didnt run for longer then 2minutes)

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

2009 is for empires but I have to say that I haven't tried it yet.

9. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Yea I realized last night that Source Engine 2007 works just fine. I didn't bother to come edit my last reply 'cause I was too tired.

Source Engine 2009 just has too many problems - it randomly crashes, throws all kinds of errors, sometimes won't start up, the grid doesn't show up in Hammer, and compile attempts fail, leaving vbsp hung up & requiring an End Process via the Task Manager.

@flasche,

For whatever reason... Valve has renamed & moved things around.

Source Engine 2006 is Episode 1
    Source Engine 2007 was OrangeBox, but is now Source2007
    Source Engine 2009 is now OrangeBox

Episode 1 stuff is still in /ep1/bin/.
    OrangeBox (as we knew it from its 2007 release) is now in /source2007/bin/.
    Source Engine 2009 (whatever it actually is) is in /orangebox/bin/.

Each one of these subsets of the Source SDK binaries has a GameConfig.txt in its /<version>/bin/ directory. You have several options for configuring Empires 2.2x for Source Engine 2007:
    1. Open /orangebox/bin/GameConfig.txt; Find your entry for Empires, cut and paste it into /source2007/bin/GameConfig.txt; Be sure to edit the 3 filepaths for VBSP, VVIS, and VRAD (which are part of the entry for Empires) so that they point to /source2007/ instead of /orangebox/.
    2. Launch the Source SDK; Select Source SDK 2007 as the Engine Version; Launch whatever is available (Half-Life 2: Episode Two probably); Once Hammer is open, manually configure Empires 2.2x using the dialog boxes.

Once you've done this, you should be fine. I've had no issues with Source Engine 2007 whatsoever.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you are my hero now shandy :|ove:

11. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I assume this will keep all the new hammer features as they are unlikely to be engine-specific?

13. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

No all the new features are only for 2009 sdk, only go to the 2007 if you're having the issues of models turning up black and have no gridelines in the 2d view, if you dont' have these problems continue using 2009 if you wish. I don't think there is a problem with using 2009. I"m just super glad i can compile maps for empires, for some reason i've never been able to compile a single map for empires, no clue why, but all i know is that i can now, woot!

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Valve is full of failboats attempting to code, everytime the sdk gets updated there are like 2 pros and like 50 cons.

15. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya even reverting back to the 2007 my shit is still broke, the views are now working with grids and non-black models but I cant select shit in 3d view, kinda hard to edit a displacement when you cant click on it.