Hammer crash when selecting model

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jan 1, 2014.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I keep crashing when trying to select a model for prop_static. I click Browse... and the sodding thing just closes itself. It did that without fail the last 6 or 7 times. Does anyone else have this issue, can you guys check your hammer copies?

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I've had hammer crash when selecting entities, but hammer closing when opening the model browser? Nah..

Have you recently added any models, poked at settings, etc?

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

I haven't touched the thing in months, I only added a few entities.

4. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Having the same problem here. Place a prop, go to browse for a model and hammer closes every time. Share if you find the answer, I'll do the same.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

My current solution is copy-pasting models from around the map in hopes of no-one noticing and trying to remember the path to the .mdl file (so far, 0 hits). I was in the good spot of already having a couple kinds of models on the map, so it wasn't a game-breaker, but it is a game-staller for sure.

6. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Found a work around... Tools > Options > General > Uncheck "Use VGUI Model Browser". Then it just browses folders instead of trying to preview the models. Still a little finicky that way too with folders though. I also browse with regular windows explorer, then pop that path into the model definition. Working so far.

7. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Turns out you can still use the model view outside of Hammer. Just launch HLMV.exe from one of your steam game folders. You can then use it to browse to and look at models, and Hammer can still be running on it's own. I'm using the copy from my TF2 folder. There are multiple copies out there. You can set some of the paths used in Hammer, wonder if we can point to a different HLMV.exe without messing other things up. Or just make a short cut on your desktop to run the one in TF2 and be done with it.